Author Topic: Will you ever really "accept" new Big 12 schools?  (Read 8183 times)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: Will you ever really "accept" new Big 12 schools?
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »
Need Cotton Bowl revenge.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »
Even with additions, odds are we have entertaining and competitive stuff to watch, and we'd be third in revenue, ahead of the ACC and Pac.

But if someone says they think KSU/BYU in football is garbage or playing Cincy in basketball is trash, then I really don't have a retort for that. It's an emotional anchor that isn't going to budge.

If it was a bowl matchup or NCAA draw that is fine.

1) how anyone could think that adding another private, extremely conservative religious school with all kinds of shady athletic dealings in their own history (QB golden boy Steve Young skips the mission, but the o-line is always has a 24 year old man who put on 50 lbs during their "missions") plus lots of allegations of using the religious code to cover up sexual assaults!  especially after the Baylor situation has revealed that private religious schools should have no place in this conference if they will refuse to provide any transparency in the face of a horrific scandal.  Look at the kind of creeps like Jason King that have consistently (and still!) defend Baylor's actions at every step and then imagine that including an entire sect.  It will be awful.

2) I like having a 10 member league.  It is unique!  I love it for the round robin, I love it because I know all the teams and have grown to really like the members we have, even if the TCU's and WVUs are still weird.

3) I really miss the old Big 8 schools and the further we veer from that formula, the more angry and resentful I get.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »
Even with additions, odds are we have entertaining and competitive stuff to watch, and we'd be third in revenue, ahead of the ACC and Pac.

But if someone says they think KSU/BYU in football is garbage or playing Cincy in basketball is trash, then I really don't have a retort for that. It's an emotional anchor that isn't going to budge.

Stop posting, man

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
It wouldn't matter who we're adding, pan wouldn't spin it as a good thing and start talking about revenue

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »

If it was a bowl matchup or NCAA draw that is fine.

1) how anyone could think that adding another private, extremely conservative religious school with all kinds of shady athletic dealings in their own history (QB golden boy Steve Young skips the mission, but the o-line is always has a 24 year old man who put on 50 lbs during their "missions") plus lots of allegations of using the religious code to cover up sexual assaults!  especially after the Baylor situation has revealed that private religious schools should have no place in this conference if they will refuse to provide any transparency in the face of a horrific scandal.  Look at the kind of creeps like Jason King that have consistently (and still!) defend Baylor's actions at every step and then imagine that including an entire sect.  It will be awful.

2) I like having a 10 member league.  It is unique!  I love it for the round robin, I love it because I know all the teams and have grown to really like the members we have, even if the TCU's and WVUs are still weird.

3) I really miss the old Big 8 schools and the further we veer from that formula, the more angry and resentful I get.

I get #2 and #3 being a matter of preference.  I miss the Big 8 schools, too.

As far as #1 is concerned, I'm no fan of BYU the school.  I'm just beginning to divorce myself from the institution and the team.  I feel that I have to do it if I want to enjoy college athletics at all these days.

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Cocaine is a helluva drug
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »
We don't need your acceptance.  We're better than you.  :Woot:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »

you've probably never been in a conference before, so it's not your fault you don't understand.  being good or bad is irrelevant, it's about competing with your friends and neighbors.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »

you've probably never been in a conference before, so it's not your fault you don't understand.  being good or bad is irrelevant, it's about competing with your friends and neighbors.
This guy gets it.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2016, 10:24:12 AM »
For example, to Syracuse, KSU is trash because there is no compelling interest to play each other in sports.  Same could be said for Cincinatti, USF, UCF, etc.. We are boring to them and they are boring to us.   Why purposefully add a (or possibly more!) Dec 17th-type bowl game opponent to your regular schedule? 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2016, 10:29:07 AM »
I can't even get excited about the idea of playing the Arizona schools. I really just want Nebraska and Missouri back.

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2016, 10:30:12 AM »

So...because you can't compete with us, you don't accept us?   :sdeek:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »

The answer is: 'No; it's because we have to compete with you'

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2016, 10:36:35 AM »

dallas is not so far.  it is possible that someday we might be interested in competing with you if you stick around.  i had almost grown to accept colorado before they left.  and i no longer consider osu to be a provisional big 12 school.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »
I really just want Nebraska and Missouri back.

we all do.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
I really just want Nebraska and Missouri back.

we all do.

Gives me warm fuzzies
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 01:16:22 PM »
Even with Mizzou in their current state of mumped up crisis, I'd take them back.  Heck, with them, I even find it endearing.  Like, "get back over here guys! /headlock and noogie but with love."  Similar to Cousin Eddie's character in the Vacation series.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »
Even with Mizzou in their current state of mumped up crisis, I'd take them back.  Heck, with them, I even find it endearing.  Like, "get back over here guys! /headlock and noogie but with love."  Similar to Cousin Eddie's character in the Vacation series.

Had a marathon on IFC last night. Still cracks me up every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2016, 05:49:11 PM »
This will all be irrelevant in five years when the old Big 12 north schools (sans CU) merge with the Big 10 for a super midwest conference...

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2016, 06:12:33 PM »
From SBnation's squawk page:

It is conceivable that by 2020 the Big 12 will be left to history. With the four slot college football playoff, I get the feeling that we are headed to four 20 team super conferences made up of four divisions of five teams. It's a way to expand post season participation without expanding the current four team national playoff. Each conference would have four division winners playing in conference semi-finals for the right to play in conference championship games.

If this becomes a reality, it could end up looking something like this:

The Big 20 - Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State leave the Big 12. One more team - ideally for the Big 10 Notre Dame, but more realistically Cincinnati - joins the conference to round its number to 20. The Big 10 would not only add some quality football programs, but basketball as well. Kansas basketball fans, can you imagine being in a conference with Izzo's Spartans, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue and Illinois? While at the same time the Jyahwks could theoretically play in a much more regionally appropriate division of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Nebraska.

The SEC - The Texas schools of Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU leave the Big 12 to swell the SEC's numbers to 18. The SEC, ever mindful of securing large television markets, could bring in Dallas by adding SMU, and Houston by adding the Cougars. Or just as realistically, Memphis, if they stay competitive. Any two of those three would make market and regional sense for the SEC. And as great as a football conference the SEC is, they do have a basketball problem with Kentucky - just like Kansas in the Big 12 - owning it due to a lack of competition for the crown. Texas, Baylor and TCU are football juggernauts fitting of SEC inclusion. Basketball wise, the addition of Texas, Baylor, Larry Brown's Mustangs and the Memphis Tigers instantly make the conference more likely to land more NCAA tournament seeds.

The ACC - The lone remnant of the Big 12, West Virginia, finally returns to a sense of regional sanity by joining. Already the best basketball conference in the land could then become stronger with the addition of the Mountaineers, and possibly UCONN and Temple - all three with decent enough football programs as to benefit inclusion in that regard. In order to round out their number to 20 teams, the ACC could then add South Florida and Central Florida to their ranks.

The PAC 20 - This one would be trickier to assemble, because the number of western competitive teams is limited, but there are enough to make a 20 team western super conference believable. The obvious addition would be BYU. Along with the Cougars the PAC could scoop up Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, Boise State, Nevada, UNLV and San Diego State. Most of which are consistently competitive enough in football, and even more of them are very solid basketball programs.

This is all highly speculative of course. To me though, college football slowly, yet still deliberately, stuttering toward super conferences has left all of college athletics in a state of weird purgatory. If football wants to go for it, then they should get on with it already so that the 21st century of college sports can finally take on a coherent and lasting shape.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »
:lol:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
It's amazing to me how much some people really want to watch these shitty 16+ team conferences happen.

Offline Mike from Ft. Collins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 08:36:13 AM »
From SBnation's squawk page:

It is conceivable that by 2020 the Big 12 will be left to history. With the four slot college football playoff, I get the feeling that we are headed to four 20 team super conferences made up of four divisions of five teams. It's a way to expand post season participation without expanding the current four team national playoff. Each conference would have four division winners playing in conference semi-finals for the right to play in conference championship games.

If this becomes a reality, it could end up looking something like this:

The Big 20 - Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State leave the Big 12. One more team - ideally for the Big 10 Notre Dame, but more realistically Cincinnati - joins the conference to round its number to 20. The Big 10 would not only add some quality football programs, but basketball as well. Kansas basketball fans, can you imagine being in a conference with Izzo's Spartans, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue and Illinois? While at the same time the Jyahwks could theoretically play in a much more regionally appropriate division of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Nebraska.

The SEC - The Texas schools of Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU leave the Big 12 to swell the SEC's numbers to 18. The SEC, ever mindful of securing large television markets, could bring in Dallas by adding SMU, and Houston by adding the Cougars. Or just as realistically, Memphis, if they stay competitive. Any two of those three would make market and regional sense for the SEC. And as great as a football conference the SEC is, they do have a basketball problem with Kentucky - just like Kansas in the Big 12 - owning it due to a lack of competition for the crown. Texas, Baylor and TCU are football juggernauts fitting of SEC inclusion. Basketball wise, the addition of Texas, Baylor, Larry Brown's Mustangs and the Memphis Tigers instantly make the conference more likely to land more NCAA tournament seeds.

The ACC - The lone remnant of the Big 12, West Virginia, finally returns to a sense of regional sanity by joining. Already the best basketball conference in the land could then become stronger with the addition of the Mountaineers, and possibly UCONN and Temple - all three with decent enough football programs as to benefit inclusion in that regard. In order to round out their number to 20 teams, the ACC could then add South Florida and Central Florida to their ranks.

The PAC 20 - This one would be trickier to assemble, because the number of western competitive teams is limited, but there are enough to make a 20 team western super conference believable. The obvious addition would be BYU. Along with the Cougars the PAC could scoop up Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, Boise State, Nevada, UNLV and San Diego State. Most of which are consistently competitive enough in football, and even more of them are very solid basketball programs.

This is all highly speculative of course. To me though, college football slowly, yet still deliberately, stuttering toward super conferences has left all of college athletics in a state of weird purgatory. If football wants to go for it, then they should get on with it already so that the 21st century of college sports can finally take on a coherent and lasting shape.

They'll expand the playoffs.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
Would you place money on tearing down almost all conference alignments up until this point, adding mountain west teams to form 20 team conferences, adjusting those conferences into divisions of 5, playing some "conference" opponents twice a decade, and essentially adding a four team playoff to each conference in order to play in the actual four team playoff OR adding 4 more teams to the actual playoffs?

I think these decisions will be heavily influenced by basketball this time and the squawks have it figured out.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2016, 11:45:31 AM »
These school are like the hoodrats you run through and never tell your friends about.

kinda late, and you're going to think i'm picking on you again, or whatever, but you should reread SD's advice in that improve as a poster thread.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2016, 01:16:53 PM »
These school are like the hoodrats you run through and never tell your friends about.

kinda late, and you're going to think i'm picking on you again, or whatever, but you should reread SD's advice in that improve as a poster thread.

I doubt I read it a first time.