Author Topic: Baton Rouge  (Read 14935 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Baton Rouge
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2019, 03:13:57 PM »

1. I guess I'm lost.  I agreed with you that let's abolish school districts so geography isn't a factor in school funding.  If people choose to send their kids to a different school, while still contributing to the equitable funding of public schools, then I'm nto sure what difference it makes.  I don't foresee people opting out of legitimately well funded schools on the basis of race -- at least not in the current climate.  This would test my theory that these days, decisions are largely made out of self-interest rather than race.[/url]

My thought is that the quality of public schools would suffer if all the rich kids with stable homes left and went to private schools, even if the public schools received better funding than they do now.

thanks for the info on that supreme court case
Yeah, I don't see that being some enormous problem in our hypothetical world -- at least no bigger than it is currently in the real world.

I think it's a significant problem, or part of the problem, in the current real world. Urban schools definitely suffer because the majority of their wealthy students go to private schools (despite partially funding their local public schools). And I think it would become worse in the hypothetical.

But would enough of them still if they were actually good schools? I guess that's the rub. And would it matter for the students in the now better public schools if they did?

I think you'd see a decrease in private school enrollment in suburban areas but an increase in Urban areas. The scale of the private enrollment//flight would determine if it mattered.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »
And doesn't Liz endorse reparations?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2019, 03:20:23 PM »
Y'all aren't even willing to stop segregation, stop gerrymandering, fairly fund schools, and make actual criminal justice reforms.
Who is "y'all" here?  These are pretty mainstream positions held by millions and millions of "inherently evil" white people.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2019, 03:24:51 PM »
Y'all aren't even willing to stop segregation, stop gerrymandering, fairly fund schools, and make actual criminal justice reforms.
Who is "y'all" here?  These are pretty mainstream positions held by millions and millions of "inherently evil" white people.

why do you think politicians aren't really discussing those things, even on the far left?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2019, 03:29:58 PM »
And doesn't Liz endorse reparations?

Yes

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2019, 03:32:19 PM »

why do you think politicians aren't really discussing those things, even on the far left?
I think they are though.  A number of them even back reparations.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2019, 03:32:32 PM »

Clearly not enough to change anything, at all. Take solace in the fact that you're one of the good ones though. Doesn't do diddly crap but to help you all sleep better at night.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2019, 03:35:24 PM »

So they're talking but not acting? You're doing a very poor job showing that the inequity isn't intentional. Voting rights, criminal justice reform, and income distribution has unquestionably gone backwards as we're being told that we're advancing.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2019, 03:42:59 PM »

So they're talking but not acting? You're doing a very poor job showing that the inequity isn't intentional. Voting rights, criminal justice reform, and income distribution has unquestionably gone backwards as we're being told that we're advancing.
The election isn’t until Nov. 2020.

Im just trying to understand where you’re coming from here, but you’re a Liz guy, aren’t you? How do you reconcile these positions you hold with her inability (or refusal?!) to fix this?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2019, 04:37:26 PM »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2019, 07:56:30 PM »
but no one willing to give any type of reparations.

you criticized beto for advocating for reparations following the 3rd debate.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2019, 12:16:40 AM »

lmao

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2019, 12:36:41 AM »

No, I mocked him for saying that it would fix systemic racism. Your larger point stands though.

Here are the candidates we care about and their support of reparations:
Supporting: Beto, Warren, Booker, tiny Julian
Not supporting: The Police (SMDH), Sanders, Sleepy Joe, BotEdgeEdge, lil Klo, I'm putting Hawaiian MAGA on here even though she co sponsored HB 40, I can't find a single quote from her advocating for reparations.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2019, 12:42:05 AM »
none of the people that support reparations actually support a bill for reparations, they support a blue ribbon panel studying the issue.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2019, 12:44:35 AM »
none of the people that support reparations actually support a bill for reparations, they support a blue ribbon panel studying the issue.

That's 100% untrue. Everyone on that list have been quoted as supporting reparations, it's exactly why I didn't put Gabbard on the list.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2019, 01:00:31 AM »
While on a trip to vegas with some friends we met some pro poker players one night at a restaurant.  While talking with them the subject of how good you have to be to win as a pro came up, after some fun debate a prop bet was born where my friend played a pro heads up starting with a  20 to 1 chip ratio advantage, he lost all the chips back.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2019, 01:15:21 AM »
While on a trip to vegas with some friends we met some pro poker players one night at a restaurant.  While talking with them the subject of how good you have to be to win as a pro came up, after some fun debate a prop bet was born where my friend played a pro heads up starting with a  20 to 1 chip ratio advantage, he lost all the chips back.

Is your point that if the govt gives reparations to black people that they'll just give it all back to white people?

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2019, 01:22:37 AM »

Is your point that if the govt gives reparations to black people that they'll just give it all back to white people?

no
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2019, 01:25:20 AM »
then your story is even more banal than i assumed it was

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2019, 01:38:46 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2019, 02:01:10 AM »
BotEdgeEdge

:lol:

Wanted to call him The Manchurian Candidate but figured that was too inside

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2019, 03:28:26 PM »

That's 100% untrue. Everyone on that list have been quoted as supporting reparations, it's exactly why I didn't put Gabbard on the list.

here is the legislation.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/40?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22Rep+Jackson+Lee+Sheila+TX18%22%2C%22Rep+Jackson+Lee+Sheila+TX18%22%5D%7D

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2019, 08:18:51 PM »
Would someone with, say, 1% Congo in their 23 and Me be eligible for reparations? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2019, 09:54:32 PM »
here is the legislation.

i think mir's point is that those candidates have indicated in some fashion that they personally believe that reparations of some sort are necessary and would be just, even though they haven't written or sponsored legislation to enact reparations.

i'm sure all of them know that no reparations bill would pass either body of congress in the next four years.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 20, 2019, 09:56:05 PM »
No, I mocked him for saying that it would fix systemic racism. Your larger point stands though.

BotEdgeEdge

it's hard to get into a lot of nuance in 90 seconds.  botedgeedge is great.