Author Topic: Baton Rouge  (Read 14946 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Baton Rouge
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »
At this rate, will kc be the most integrated metro area in the nation in another 17 years?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
great job kc, you sexy poa

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2019, 02:29:58 PM »

White Americans are inherently evil, I'm not rough ridin' around either. Grats to you all who were raised correctly and had strong nurture to overcome generations of nature.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2019, 02:31:08 PM »

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »

According to science, the kc metro is less segregated (and improving!) than Birmingham

Surprising, and good (not for B'ham)!

I bet in the cities that have higher segregation rates also have higher income disparity. Those southern and midwestern cities have a lot more poor white people living among POC, than the coastal cities with much higher costs of living.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »

The Raleigh-Durham area is an awesome and has all different types of non-poor people living among each other like it doesn’t matter. Would love to live there.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »

The Raleigh-Durham area is an awesome and has all different types of non-poor people living among each other like it doesn’t matter. Would love to live there.

Durham is very segregated, looks like that Baton Rouge map but with the black people on the south side instead of the north.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/05/180504-mayle-housing-segregation

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »
Yes, Raleigh proper is similar in that regard, almost an identical black/hispanic only area to on the south side of a NE oriented "border,"

Still a lot of very diverse, imo, areas in the metro. Universities and being a big tech hub is obv big for that. Of course, I wasn't talking as much  just black/white but Asian (SE, Indian), and hispanic as well. I'm no expert. My wife has been there a lot for work and we have thought about moving to the area many times.

These maps are interesting:  https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/index.html

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:43:54 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »

White Americans are inherently evil, I'm not rough ridin' around either. Grats to you all who were raised correctly and had strong nurture to overcome generations of nature.
:jerk:
:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2019, 07:03:37 PM »
Was St. George in an incorporated area of East Baton Rouge Parrish?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2019, 07:04:16 PM »
Agreed. Those who make assumptions about people based solely on the color of their skin are pretty awful.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2019, 08:46:23 PM »
Agreed. Those who make assumptions about people based solely on the color of their skin are pretty awful.
Good thing no one in this thread did that!

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2019, 02:58:29 AM »

You and 8man get your little feelings hurt?
[youtube]https://youtu.be/OBbnRbSac2M[/youtube]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2019, 04:52:12 AM »
My feelings aren't hurt, my sense of reason is, and you have your nature/nurture bass ackwards
:adios:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »

Absolutely not. Everyone else had the exact same reaction to your bait, but no one wanted to engage. Frankly, I don't either. Good day to you.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2019, 10:38:06 AM »

Absolutely not. Everyone else had the exact same reaction to your bait, but no one wanted to engage. Frankly, I don't either. Good day to you.

Bait? LOL. I don't even know how I'll move on from white people not engaging people of color on matters of race. We're all so use to white people having open and frank conversations about this subject matter. The lack of engagement is really a shock to the system.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »

Bait? LOL. I don't even know how I'll move on from white people not engaging people of color on matters of race. We're all so use to white people having open and frank conversations about this subject matter. The lack of engagement is really a shock to the system.
Any conversation that starts with "_________ people are inherently evil" is not an open and frank conversation. If you were actually interested in having such a conversation, the inherently evil whites on this blog might surprise you with their openness and frankness. There are a lot of fair-minded people on this blog, plus dax.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »

I'll engage, but you make a pretty bold claim without much explanation -- and, on its face, it's a pretty insulting claim. 

What makes white people "inherently evil"?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
He might have been using a bit of hyperbole, snowflakes

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »
He might have been using a bit of hyperbole, snowflakes rough ridin' around
I'm not rough ridin' around either
:dunno:

I'm interested in hearing him explain his viewpoint.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
I'll engage, but you make a pretty bold claim without much explanation -- and, on its face, it's a pretty insulting claim. 

We're well beyond 500 years of colonization of America by Europeans. Since the very start there has been no regard to either the people who previously occupied the land or the people who were unwillingly drug here to become the backbone of the economy. Every advancement by progressive whites (I can literally name them all, Emancipation Proclamation, Brown vs. Topeka BOE, Browder vs. Gale, Loving vs. Virginia, Civil Rights Act '64,' Civil Rights Act of '68. I'd list the voting rights act but that's essentially been nullified) has been met with heavy resistance.

We have had however many generations are in 525 years worth of systematic oppression. We're literally hundreds of years of white people being birthed on the favourable side of this oppression and little to nothing has been done to fix it. On top of that we're now being told that we have some role in fixing it? What?

Look at what's happening with this conversation. I expressed anger out of illustrations of blatant segregation in 2019. Didn't was legislate that away 50 years ago? This anger has turned into me shepherding white people's fragile feelings about my opinion of the mumped up systematic racism, and trying to make all of you feel like it's going to be okay. Segregation, gerrymandering, income inequality? eff all of that, some dude pointed out that we're born into a systematically oppressive society. There has to be a real commitment by the majority to end this. It's not going to happen with some individuals committing to it although I'm grateful to those who are able to see this and at the very least pay lip service to wanting it corrected.

All of us are products of this half a millennium of oppressors and the oppressed. I guess I have to tell you individual white people in 2019 that it's not your fault, but that defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2019, 12:16:49 PM »

We're well beyond 500 years of colonization of America by Europeans. Since the very start there has been no regard to either the people who previously occupied the land or the people who were unwillingly drug here to become the backbone of the economy. Every advancement by progressive whites (I can literally name them all, Emancipation Proclamation, Brown vs. Topeka BOE, Browder vs. Gale, Loving vs. Virginia, Civil Rights Act '64,' Civil Rights Act of '68. I'd list the voting rights act but that's essentially been nullified) has been met with heavy resistance.

We have had however many generations are in 525 years worth of systematic oppression. We're literally hundreds of years of white people being birthed on the favourable side of this oppression and little to nothing has been done to fix it. On top of that we're now being told that we have some role in fixing it? What?

Look at what's happening with this conversation. I expressed anger out of illustrations of blatant segregation in 2019. Didn't was legislate that away 50 years ago? This anger has turned into me shepherding white people's fragile feelings about my opinion of the mumped up systematic racism, and trying to make all of you feel like it's going to be okay. Segregation, gerrymandering, income inequality? eff all of that, some dude pointed out that we're born into a systematically oppressive society. There has to be a real commitment by the majority to end this. It's not going to happen with some individuals committing to it although I'm grateful to those who are able to see this and at the very least pay lip service to wanting it corrected.

All of us are products of this half a millennium of oppressors and the oppressed. I guess I have to tell you individual white people in 2019 that it's not your fault, but that defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
Right.  I don't think anybody here (at least in these last few posts) is denying that systemic racism has existed and continues to exist, which leads to horrible and unfair outcomes for black people.  We largely agree on the existence, causes and effects of the problem.  I can only speak for myself, though I imagine 8man and Spracne would agree, but the issue was you ascribing White America's (as vague as that concept is) supposed evil characteristic to something that is innate, which seems completely absurd.   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »

And a lot of those progressive advancements have regressed quite a bit, particularly with school desgregation and voting rights.

I think the main takeaway of the St. George thing is that white parents in America flat out don't want their children to go to school with black kids and don't want to pay for the education of black kids. It's like that everywhere in the US.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »
I think the main takeaway of the St. George thing is that white parents in America flat out don't want their children to go to school with black kids and don't want to pay for the education of black kids. It's like that everywhere in the US.
Maybe segregation is a byproduct, but I don't think race is the motive in most situations.  I think the more likely explanation is that parents want to send their kids to "the best schools," which are (or are perceived to be) in affluent areas with large tax bases, and inevitably leads to the exclusion of less affluent demographics, including minorities.  In other words, I think a lot of these (very real) bad effects are born mostly out of self interest, not racism. 

Obviously the motive does nothing to alleviate the bad effects, but I think the motive is still important.  And I don't think wanting your kids to go to the best schools makes someone or their kids "evil."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2019, 12:30:23 PM »
Maybe segregation is a byproduct, but I don't think race is the motive in most situations.  I think the more likely explanation is that parents want to send their kids to "the best schools," which are (or are perceived to be) in affluent areas with large tax bases, and inevitably leads to the exclusion of less affluent demographics, including minorities.  In other words, I think a lot of these (very real) bad effects are born mostly out of self interest, not racism. 

there's a fine line between "self interest" and racism