Author Topic: Pools  (Read 6223 times)

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Pools
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2021, 03:45:10 PM »
Ok last party poop and then I will stop, a pool is basically as dangerous as leaving around a loaded gun for your kids to play with.

Now they’ve got ISR training

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2021, 04:14:12 PM »
Ok last party poop and then I will stop, a pool is basically as dangerous as leaving around a loaded gun for your kids to play with.
Do you have statistics about this? Not trolling here, I would be interested to see how drowning rates compare for kids who live in a house with a pool vs no pool, etc.
It is the leading cause of death for kids under 5, specifically swimming pools. I think part of my point is you have to worry about your kids but also other people’s kids as well.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2021, 04:56:58 PM »
if i got a pool, i would never put water in it and only use it for skateboarding. and when AST builds it for me, i'm going to have him build it with great transitions and also great coping.  maybe i'll invite the bones brigade over.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2021, 06:50:36 PM »
Friend’s parents put in a sports pool 3 years ago for $35k. Her husband’s parents called the same builder & asked for the exact same thing in their yard & got quoted $70k.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2021, 07:30:52 PM »
If you get a pool and don’t have a natural stone grotto with a hot tub, what are you even doing?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2021, 07:33:53 PM »
Don't say I didn't warn you. The juice is definitely not worth the squeeze. Pool chemistry is bullshit and maintenance of the pumps and lines is even worse.

agree 100%.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2021, 07:49:31 PM »
Can't you just hire people to take care of the maintenance stuff? (Also considering acquiring a pool.)
That’s what I’m askin’ here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the routine stuff, the pool chemistry, I suppose you can but when your kids want to jump in and your water is green because your pH, alkalinity, and your cyanuric acid are all off, it's much easier to do the math and dump the chemicals in yourself than to call mr pool and wait for him to come then watch them do the same thing you could have done. Or you walk out in the morning and see that a raccoon has left you a little gift in the water, easier to scoop that crap, literally, and shock your pool real quick.

Now if you see your water level dropped 9 inches overnight and you have a cracked line, or a pump has gone out, you'll need a guy for that and the bill won't be pretty. It will also take them the rest of the summer to fix it then you'll have to call them out again the next spring on your first fill to fix the same crap.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2021, 07:51:45 PM »
DIY pool Peggy Po. If you have a teen or preteen crying about not ever having to do algebra as an adult you can make them do your calculations on how much chemical to add.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2021, 07:54:11 PM »
The one 100% confirmed black guy on gE hates pools. Big shock here folks. smDh.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2021, 07:58:53 PM »
i also hate pools, the whole concept makes absolutely zero sense

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2021, 08:00:46 PM »
He’s right though, my parents had a pool and he basically described my dads life for a decade
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2021, 09:20:42 PM »
Just signed up for a pool. Getting installed early spring 2022.  Bonus: my wife was a lifeguard for ever and also managed our city pool a few years and she actually likes the chem maintenance as well as skimming and stuff.

Also, both kids are early to mid teens so they can have an absolute ball with it without me having to stress about them in the pool

Pretty excited.

Also, I am pretty sure MIR described my experience with the hot tub I have for several years, except the raccoon poop and drain line break. The chem balance weekly dance sucked balls.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2021, 09:24:56 PM »
I’m not going to put one in based on conversations with mrs Dave. Just going to buy or build a house with one now.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2021, 09:40:19 PM »
Tips on buying a house with a pool? Do I need a certified Aquatic Safety Technician (AST) to come out and assess the situation?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2021, 10:05:57 PM »
Tips on buying a house with a pool? Do I need a certified Aquatic Safety Technician (AST) to come out and assess the situation?

I recommend have a pool specific inspection.  Home inspectors can do it but are not great at it.  They mark stuff that isn’t wrong and skip over stuff that is a real pool issue.  Plus, most of them are not well versed in the equipment operation and can’t even figure out how to turn it on so mark it as needing fixed.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2021, 08:55:33 AM »
I’m not going to put one in based on conversations with mrs Dave. Just going to buy or build a house with one now.

This is prob the way if you are really wanting one.

However, all of my surrounding neighbors have pools and my wife was like, "isn't it weird that we are the only house in our section that doesn't have one"? I said, nope, because if our house did, we would have never bought it.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »

Buying a house that already has a pool is the only way to get a pool that makes sense to me. They don't add value to the home, so the pool is basically free.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2021, 02:02:01 PM »
After our Vegas trip this weekend, I may have reconsidered my pool stance.  We were in one by a cabana that was about 8' wide and 4' deep.  One side had an infinity edge and the other had a step that you could sit on with cold drinks and be about chest deep in the water.  This is definitely something that I can design and GC for myself.
@mikec2w

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2021, 10:26:52 PM »
I was mesmerized by this, it also triggered my pool PTSD.
https://fb.watch/7yPpsw2pGS/