Author Topic: Orlando shooting. Sad.  (Read 55489 times)

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Re: Orlando shooting. Sad.
« Reply #600 on: June 22, 2016, 12:29:12 PM »
Hey guys when an Islamic terrorist who was investigated by the FBI reportedly on multiple occasions and not placed on any watch list or flagged in any way kills 50 people

Law abiding citizens must give up their rights.
That's an excellent point.

I'd still like to see an extended waiting period for all semi-automatic gun sales. Start at three weeks and move it out over time. Gun manufacturers should also pay some sort of per weapon tax to fund mental health support.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 22, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »
Hey guys when an Islamic terrorist who was investigated by the FBI reportedly on multiple occasions and not placed on any watch list or flagged in any way kills 50 people

I'd still like to see an extended waiting period for all semi-automatic gun sales. Start at three weeks and move it out over time. Gun manufacturers should also pay some sort of per weapon tax to fund mental health support.

If the general public is the ones who benefit, it should be the general public funding the mental health support. 

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 22, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »

If the general public is the ones who benefit, it should be the general public funding the mental health support.
We have an amendment for the right to drink and we pay extra taxes on booze. I think gun lovers should be willing to pay $15 extra for a rifle in hopes that the money will keep someone from using a gun in a way that threatens the right to bear arms.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 22, 2016, 02:46:35 PM »

We have an amendment for the right to drink and we pay extra taxes on booze. I think gun lovers should be willing to pay $15 extra for a rifle in hopes that the money will keep someone from using a gun in a way that threatens the right to bear arms.

Tax on alcohol is designed to drive tax revenue, not pay for some societal problem tied to the use of alcohol. 

People purchasing a firearm already pay a Pittman-Robertson tax.  It's the only time in the history of the US that American citizens went to the government and said "tax me.  It's time for the freeloaders to step up.  Anyway, one could argue that the government should subsidize firearms, as even low estimates say they prevent 100 times more crimes than are caused by their existence. 

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 22, 2016, 10:01:48 PM »
OK, since your argument has been prepared I'm concluding that gun owners are completely unwilling to do anything to prevent gun violence. Are there really no ideas from your side about how to reduce the number of massacres in schools and movie theaters and nightclubs? Not even some gestures of restraint?

The "sin tax" on booze is meant to be a societal restraint.

And the idea that guns have a curbing effect on crime is ludicrous. First and foremost, it's rough ridin' impossible to study. We could line up Canadian cities against American ones all day and not be able to control for a million different elements.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 22, 2016, 10:06:06 PM »
OK, since your argument has been prepared I'm concluding that gun owners are completely unwilling to do anything to prevent gun violence. Are there really no ideas from your side about how to reduce the number of massacres in schools and movie theaters and nightclubs? Not even some gestures of restraint?

And the idea that guns have a curbing effect on crime is ludicrous. First and foremost, it's rough ridin' impossible to study. We could line up Canadian cities against American ones all day and not be able to control for a million different elements.

Especially when you consider the ban on federal funding for gun violence research by the CDC. I wonder why they would do that?

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 22, 2016, 10:10:53 PM »
why do you think, bucket?

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 22, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
They say if he (director of the CDC) dares publicly talk about lives lost to guns, Congress might retaliate by taking away CDC funding for a whole host of safety issues, including motor vehicle accidents, traumatic brain injury and child abuse, to name just a few.

That, they say, is the strength of the gun lobby in the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/14/health/cdc-frieden-gun-research/

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 22, 2016, 10:15:15 PM »
I kind of wish gun folks would just say these gun deaths are statistically insignificant rather than making up crap up about guns preventing crime.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 23, 2016, 06:03:27 AM »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 23, 2016, 08:49:32 AM »
Nobody is going to come take your freaking guns....trying to find some way to prevent mass deaths on a weekly basis...you carrying a gun where I am isn't preventing that btw.

I can't imagine living my life clutching my gun every night nervous that a) I'm definitely going to have to use this tonight to protect myself and b) if I don't hold tight enough {insert liberal name here} is going to come take Betsie (or whatever you named it). Weird.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 23, 2016, 09:26:50 AM »
That's not true at all.  There were two bills that had Republican (and NRA!) support that didn't 1) didn't trample due process laws and therefore 2) wouldn't have been ruled unconstitutional, but the Democrats would rather throw a staged rough ridin' fit and sit on the goddamned floor like petulant children.  How do you explain that?  There could have been some movement, anything, but they balked because they'd rather grandstand for votes than actually do something that might help somebody.  It's nearly unbelievable, except it's not. 

That's not true at all.  It's meant to drive tax revenue.  Your statement is true for tobacco products, but not for alcohol. 

If it's impossible to study (it's not), then isn't it impossible to conclude the opposite? 

Here's the thing folks...there are evil people in this world, there are mentally ill people in this world, and they will cause harm, and no laws restricting the rights of law-abiding free people will stop that.  It only takes us looking at what happened in Paris to know that. 

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 23, 2016, 09:33:11 AM »
So the USA just has a ton more of these mentally ill or evil people?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 23, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »
A ton more than whom?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 23, 2016, 09:38:22 AM »
a guy at the site i'm working at this week told me yesterday that he was tired of working remote and was ready to go home (houston).  his first reason - california doesn't recognize his texas concealed carry permit.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: June 23, 2016, 09:39:03 AM »
Laws against stealing don't stop people from stealing, they just trample the rights of law abiding citizens. Repeal theft laws!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 23, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
Laws against stealing don't stop people from stealing, they just trample the rights of law abiding citizens. Repeal theft laws!

^ this guy likes people who sit on the floor (obviously)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 23, 2016, 09:41:19 AM »
A ton more than whom?

Every other industrialized country...based on my daily dealings I'd believe you if you said yes

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 23, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »
A ton more than whom?

Every other industrialized country...based on my daily dealings I'd believe you if you said yes

I don't know, I haven't studied every other industrialized country.  I'm pretty sure we prescribe a crap ton more medicines treating mental illnesses than any other industrialized country.  But I think we are also a very unique country.  No other country is as large and populous as ours, with such stark socio-economic differentials, and packed with as many different and sometimes conflicting cultures.  And the rampant drug use, too, doesn't help.  And we have a lot of guns too, which are a lot more safe than driving your car or going to the doctor in this country. 

What did you think of the sit in?  Do you support that?  Why shouldn't the dems have taken the NRA supported bills? 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 23, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »

And we have a lot of guns too, which are a lot more safe than driving your car or going to the doctor in this country.   

Nonsense like this makes it impossible to take anything you say seriously.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 23, 2016, 10:43:50 AM »

And we have a lot of guns too, which are a lot more safe than driving your car or going to the doctor in this country.   

It's true though.  Both kill way more people than guns.  Orders of magnitude more.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 23, 2016, 10:49:42 AM »
A ton more than whom?

I don't know, I haven't studied every other industrialized country.  I'm pretty sure we prescribe a crap ton more medicines treating mental illnesses than any other industrialized country.  But I think we are also a very unique country.  No other country is as large and populous as ours, with such stark socio-economic differentials, and packed with as many different and sometimes conflicting cultures.  And the rampant drug use, too, doesn't help.  And we have a lot of guns too, which are a lot more safe than driving your car or going to the doctor in this country. 

What did you think of the sit in?  Do you support that?  Why shouldn't the dems have taken the NRA supported bills?

No real opinion on the sit in.... It will probably just drive the two sides further apart.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 23, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »
allowing yourself to be crucified is actually tied for the safest activity in america.  right up there with dipping yourself in hydrochloric acid.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 23, 2016, 10:53:06 AM »
 :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 23, 2016, 11:01:32 AM »

It's true though.  Both kill way more people than guns.  Orders of magnitude more.

Choking kills more people than carbon monoxide. Is carbon monoxide safer than eating?