Author Topic: Early Retirement  (Read 15967 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Early Retirement
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2016, 08:33:26 PM »
Then again, trying to actually settle an uninhabited island with sand flys and mosquitoes and having to treat your water would be miserable.  Could bring some chickens and pigs to break up the monotony of only fishing, but then you have to deal with the likely poisoning of your water supply.  I'll take civilization, thanks.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »
Just make a crap load of money. Save a bunch. Retire early and go camping a couple of times a year. Screw that off the grid bs.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2016, 08:36:27 PM »
(Plus, take normal, lavish vacations, too.)

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2016, 08:39:04 PM »
You could house sit and knock out travel and home expense in one shot.   Living on 24k is very doable if you are creative.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2016, 09:31:15 PM »
i lived on about 1k/month in mexico and was living at least medium high on the hog.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2016, 12:36:48 AM »
Think about it all the time. I pretty much hate the freedom drain of having a full time job.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2016, 12:38:39 AM »
 :Wha:
i lived on about 1k/month in mexico and was living at least medium high on the hog.

What part?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2016, 12:40:19 AM »
state of mexico.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2016, 12:43:07 AM »

You can do the same in lots of great places.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/story?id=2624274&page=1

https://blog.mint.com/goals/9-places-where-you-can-retire-and-live-like-a-king/
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »
This is the least :kstategrad: that an early retirement thread could possibly be
:adios:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2016, 08:15:11 AM »
Do these countries let you just pick up and move there without getting a job? It's not something I've ever looked into.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:50 AM »
This is the least :kstategrad: that an early retirement thread could possibly be

Well some people have suggested just making a ton of money early, but I think people sometimes don't realize that a lot of people make tons of money and still end up with a pretty low net worth.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2016, 08:23:48 AM »
Guy in my wedding just quit his job, sold everything and moved to St. Croix.  Single, No debt, good paying job for the last 12 years.

over the last five years or so he's been traveling to the Caribbean and has gotten all his scuba certifications so I think he's going to be that guy from along came polly.

Super jelly

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2016, 08:43:16 AM »
My friends brother just got back from 2 years living in Paraguay and now he's going to live in the Dominican. He just does the bartending thing and loves life. Doesn't seem like you need much money if that's the kind of thing you want to do.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2016, 08:47:14 AM »
Do these countries let you just pick up and move there without getting a job? It's not something I've ever looked into.

At least for jobs on islands, you pretty much have to.  If you look for a job before you move, they either don't want to wait for someone who may never come or don't believe you'll be able to adapt when you get there.  Either you move and then find something or you work for a company with locations there and try to get transferred.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2016, 08:55:18 AM »
This thread is making me feel like my dream of opening a tiny restaurant on a Caribbean island is a possibility.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »
In the Dominican now, lots of the resort peeps are from other islands.  Talking to the kids running the cigar shop knowing English is HUGE followed by being good looking, fun etc.  The resorts help the workers take classes for English/management. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »
This thread is making me feel like my dream of opening a tiny restaurant on a Caribbean island is a possibility.

I'd love that....except I'd be the drunk owner at the corner of the bar you see on those bar rescue shows....I wouldn't want to put in the hours to actually own it.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2021, 07:19:52 PM »
Trying to make a list of things I'd like to do when I've achieved sufficient financial independence.

1. I want to spend several weeks in Washington DC museums.

2. I want to thru hike the Continental Divide Trail.

3. I want to be a spectator at each of the tennis grand slam events. Like, the whole damn two week tournament.

4. I want to do lots of skiing.

5. I want a home with an outstanding view so that I have something good to look at every day while I'm sitting around and waiting to die.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2021, 07:22:27 PM »
Interesting thread to revisit. It's been 3-7 years since this post!

i figure i'm about 3-7 years away from being able to retire, if things go average to better than average.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2021, 08:43:49 PM »

i figure i'm about 3-7 years away from being able to retire, if things go average to better than average.

i've already missed out on years 3 and 4.  otoh, i'm planning on retiring in two years, which would hit the 7 year mark.

my thinking could change, certainly it already has in some respects, but don't think it will change so much that i decide not to quit working.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2021, 08:47:07 PM »

i've already missed out on years 3 and 4.  otoh, i'm planning on retiring in two years, which would hit the 7 year mark.

my thinking could change, certainly it already has in some respects, but don't think it will change so much that i decide not to quit working.

Would you consider coaching a basketball team in an 8 sided arena?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2021, 08:59:31 PM »
no, i don't want people to dislike me.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2021, 10:29:55 PM »
Damn can’t believe it’s been 4 years. My passion has not waned. Still hoping to have a comfy retirement after sending the kids to college (both of whom were born after I started this thread)!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Early Retirement
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2021, 10:32:51 PM »
Trying to make a list of things I'd like to do when I've achieved sufficient financial independence.

1. I want to spend several weeks in Washington DC museums.

2. I want to thru hike the Continental Divide Trail.

3. I want to be a spectator at each of the tennis grand slam events. Like, the whole damn two week tournament.

4. I want to do lots of skiing.

5. I want a home with an outstanding view so that I have something good to look at every day while I'm sitting around and waiting to die.
The best thing about a lot of these goals is you can do them much cheaper when time is on your side. Get a discount on an AirBnB for staying a while in off-peak seasons, buy some groceries, and hang around for a month if you want.