Author Topic: Early Retirement  (Read 15957 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Early Retirement
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2021, 03:41:53 PM »
I think there is some nuance being lost on this discussion around how much money we spend on on health care at end of life.

True, there is probably a better solution than the current one where in our last years on the planet we will all most likely give everything we have left from a lifetime of work to hospitals or insurance companies as opposed to our families, but  :dunno:

How are m4A type plans in other countries setup for this? I assume some type of rationing happens.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2021, 04:01:47 PM »
I think there is some nuance being lost on this discussion around how much money we spend on on health care at end of life.

True, there is probably a better solution than the current one where in our last years on the planet we will all most likely give everything we have left from a lifetime of work to hospitals or insurance companies as opposed to our families, but  :dunno:

How are m4A type plans in other countries setup for this? I assume some type of rationing happens.
Rationing is one of the dumbest boogeyman in health care discussions, our country rations care through our insane insurance industry that is a complete black box with coding, in-networks/out of network, Rx, referrals from primary care, insane write downs on billing, the bullshit is endless! And as if that weren’t bad enough, people have almost no say in because our employers control it but it isn’t even really something you can negotiate with them like salary.

In other countries the secret sauce is mostly just boring crap like administrative costs are much lower, Doctors just don’t get paid as much and they don’t have as much pharma and medical device companies. That’s basically it.

I still think we can have a robust pharma industry even if we cut out insurance companies, but honestly I don’t see it happening any time soon because everyone in this country just looks existential problems in the race and accepts that nothing can ever change for the better or argues that it actually is good.  I hope it gets better.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2021, 04:41:57 PM »
Quite a number of asinine comments the past 3 pages. Do we not have a resident Doc who can weigh in on this? 

I

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2021, 04:50:22 PM »

For sure.  That is changing as well, though, we, as a people, are living less well, but longer too. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Early Retirement
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2021, 06:05:21 PM »
Quite a number of asinine comments the past 3 pages. Do we not have a resident Doc who can weigh in on this? 

I
The doctors I’ve spoken to don’t know the first thing about insurance or how much healthcare costs. Or maybe they just pretend not to know.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2021, 09:05:51 PM »

I
The doctors I’ve spoken to don’t know the first thing about insurance or how much healthcare costs. Or maybe they just pretend not to know.

Agreed.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2021, 08:33:55 AM »

I

Agreed.

yeah, most of them hate the BS admin costs and tasks that go along with everything. I'm sure they get tired of hearing everyone bitch about it at every appointment as well.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 12, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »

I

Agreed.
They know a lot about Medicare and Medicaid tho.  Some guy I follow on twitter (who I'm pretty sure is a doctor) said that new Medicare rules are only allowing him to charge $18 a visit, which would not even pay overhead at a clinic.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 12, 2021, 12:00:50 PM »
Makes you think that a single payer system would make it a lot easier to talk about healthcare costs and what is appropriate.

I assume the Twitter doctor doesn’t take Medicare then?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2021, 12:44:28 PM »
Makes you think that a single payer system would make it a lot easier to talk about healthcare costs and what is appropriate.
No, this is a ridiculous statement.  A command economy has no idea what is appropriate.
I assume the Twitter doctor doesn’t take Medicare then?
No idea.  But for those that do it is pretty apparent that non medicaid/medicaire patients (i.e. insured) are subsidizing the program. 
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 12, 2021, 12:47:36 PM »
Medicare isn’t viable on its own.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 12, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »
I cannot think of a single reason doctors would accept Medicare patients if puts them in the red. If that’s the argument you’re making you’ve got to explain that piece to me.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2021, 01:34:53 PM »
I cannot think of a single reason doctors would accept Medicare patients if puts them in the red. If that’s the argument you’re making you’ve got to explain that piece to me.

Some doctors don't accept Medicare/Medicaid patients.

Others that accept them can afford to accept them because private insurance covers the fixed costs the doctor has.  On the margin, they may make money on Medicare patients.  However, if everyone was a Medicare patient, there wouldn't be enough in reimbursement to cover their fixed costs.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 12, 2021, 01:44:02 PM »
And what are their fixed costs that private insurance is subsidizing?

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
And what are their fixed costs that private insurance is subsidizing?

I was mostly just making the argument that I have heard.  My guess on fixed costs would be rent, support staff, malpractice insurance, etc.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2021, 09:58:45 AM »
I wish I would have done some truly epic crap when I was younger and am finding this inspirational.

https://twitter.com/SangerNYT/status/1371502647258255364

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »
Chum midlife time?!?!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 28, 2021, 10:23:06 AM »
UPDATE:  I didn't think I would need this thread, but with the promise of cryto fortunes basically guaranteed, I should probably go back and re-read this for good ideas.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2023, 03:42:44 PM »
So, I need to take out some money from my 401k and my work said since I'm not working right now I will have to take out everything, remove the amount I want, and put the rest in a rollover account. I need to keep this money accessible for an occasional withdrawal when needed (1 or 2 times a year). What kind of account would be best for this?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 13, 2023, 04:47:50 PM »
So, I need to take out some money from my 401k and my work said since I'm not working right now I will have to take out everything, remove the amount I want, and put the rest in a rollover account. I need to keep this money accessible for an occasional withdrawal when needed (1 or 2 times a year). What kind of account would be best for this?
Right now you can get ~5% on money market funds pretty much everywhere. I’d roll it into a vanguard IRA I guess. May not be understanding the question though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2023, 04:52:58 PM »
Yeah a money market is what my thought was. I just know nothing about this stuff.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2023, 09:20:38 PM »
Get a financial advisor as the good ones will do all the work and only charge a small percentage of your total investment  The amount they charge gets smaller after you invest the usual $500,000 or more.  My wife is retiring next month and my FA will let her invest with my account credit, but she will have her own account, and therefore, get credited at the same percentage as I'm getting or lower.

EDIT:  forgot to suggest that if your mom has a FA, then you might be able to add your investment with your own account but get a lower yearly charge.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 09:24:00 PM by Katpappy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2023, 09:48:12 PM »

Taking it out of your 401k is one thing...do that and roll it into an IRA with fidelity/schwab/vanguard whoever.

Once you do that you can withdraw whatever you need for your yearly expenses but will have to pay taxes on that. I would keep 1-3 year of expected expenses in a Money market/bond/whatever account and leave the remainder in an index fund.

Step 1 - Roll your 401k into an IRA
Step 2 - Figure out how much you need for the next year and withdraw that and pay the taxes
Step 3 - Rough estimate on how much you might need in the next 1-3 years and put that in a MM account in your IRA where it can't really go down.
Step 4 - Leave the rest invested in an index fund tracking the stock market and once a year withdraw 1 year worth of funds and transfer it to your MM account to replenish the funds you spent in the last year.

(I am not a financial advisor and just a dork who loves kstate sports and finances and bird hunting)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 13, 2023, 10:36:54 PM »
Not sure if it runs into the same problem if you’re not working but there’s some kind of mechanism to loan yourself money from your 401k then pay it back to yourself. I’ve never even remotely understood why that’s ok but I know someone who did it.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 13, 2023, 11:08:01 PM »
Ben ji, that sounds pretty much exactly like what I should do. This blog is amazing.