Author Topic: How to....  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How to....
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
I have a full backpack that I need to mail. What is the best/cheapest way to do this? Do I need to put it in a box or can I mail it just as is? It is like an army backpack, like this...

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: How to....
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:51:15 AM »
Pic isn't loading for me.  Is there a rigid frame?  If so, can it be broken down?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »
I have a full backpack that I need to mail. What is the best/cheapest way to do this? Do I need to put it in a box or can I mail it just as is? It is like an army backpack, like this...

USPS is the cheapest and best. Take it to the post office as is and they will give you your best options.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
Well this is curious
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:05:52 AM »
Go to lowes/uhaul/HD and get small moving box for <$1, go to USPS, and follow MIR's instructions from there. Add tracking and insurance as necessary.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 11:06:55 AM »

If it will fit in a large USPS flat rate box, I would go that route.  You can grab a box for free at the post office to see if it will fit.  If not, pitch it.
@mikec2w

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
Full, as in full of contents?

Going to residence or APO/FPO?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »

Yes, full of contents. It is going to a regular residential address. Also, I guess I should probably go through it to make sure I am not mailing anything illegal? Can lighter fluid be mailed legally?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
Assuming that it's full of stuff you find valuable, I would UPS and insure appropriately.  I've done that ahead of trips before, probably will again this summer/fall.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »

Yes, full of contents. It is going to a regular residential address. Also, I guess I should probably go through it to make sure I am not mailing anything illegal? Can lighter fluid be mailed legally?

looks like maybe via ground mail.   not sure on UPS/FedEx

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_020.htm

The Big Train

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »
So like can we ask other how to's beside how to mail a backpack?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
So like can we ask other how to's beside how to mail a backpack?

Yes, this is the thread to ask other gE's how to do something, or the best way to do something, or the cheapest way to do something.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 08:17:09 AM »
How to....execute a will?

Are you required by law to file the will in court within 6 months of the death? (Because that's what I read.)
Or should you wait until after 6 months and do a "Determination of Descent"? (Because that's what an attorney said to do.)

And if you file the will in court, does it have to go through probate? Is there an easier way to do this if...
1) There is a will designating only 2 heirs (and also designating the same as executors)
2) The 2 heirs are in agreement (except that one of them just wants to blindly trust the attorney and one of them wants to do more research)
3) The 2 heirs are not a spouse or minor children
4) No, it does not qualify for a small estate (<$40,000 or something like that)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 08:49:05 AM »
My lawyer said that in ks all estates go through probate, but those with wills process quickly and per the wills direction.  If that is correct, filing the will seems like the fastest way to settle the estate.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 10:08:48 AM »
Sorry for your loss Mrs Gooch, hope you get it all figured out.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »

Thanks. Seems like it should be easy considering the circumstances but what the attorney said doesn't make sense to me.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 10:33:49 AM »
Ask another lawyer
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 11:46:52 AM »

Thanks. Seems like it should be easy considering the circumstances but what the attorney said doesn't make sense to me.
eff that coffeyville atty guy. All that needs to be done is to have the will filed and it will clear probate in a matter of a couple of weeks. Then hire a title company to get the house re-titled.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »
How to....execute a will?

Are you required by law to file the will in court within 6 months of the death? (Because that's what I read.)
Or should you wait until after 6 months and do a "Determination of Descent"? (Because that's what an attorney said to do.)

And if you file the will in court, does it have to go through probate? Is there an easier way to do this if...
1) There is a will designating only 2 heirs (and also designating the same as executors)
2) The 2 heirs are in agreement (except that one of them just wants to blindly trust the attorney and one of them wants to do more research)
3) The 2 heirs are not a spouse or minor children
4) No, it does not qualify for a small estate (<$40,000 or something like that)

well first off, don't hire the same smalltow shitbird who drafted the will to file it, because she will procrastinate and forget and then you'll spend a year and 15k getting it recognized.   Or so my parents found out.

Anyhow, yes, file the will with the court, it will have to be probated (notices filed in the newspaper form debtors, etc.) then probate will close.   Takes a little bit (couple of months).

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 12:00:17 AM »
How to... settle a property line dispute?

We are considering buying some ground from dad so I had it surveyed by the county.  They went out and dug up the markers and found that the dividing line is fudged between the neighboring property onto our side about 30 feet the entire length.  It adds up to about 5 acres of lost ground for us.  What's the best course of action now?  I talked to the farmer renting it to find out exactly who owns it and got the run around.  I feel like this should be simple but I think it will end up a crap show.  I know the old man who used to own it but he gave it to his 3 kids about 5 yrs ago and there has been a divorce.  Any suggestos bros?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 01:21:40 AM »

I'd probably think twice before mailing a flammable such as lighter fluid, but check with USPS. I believe they have some regulations concerning flashpoints of potential flammables.

What else is in the pack??

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 07:08:53 AM »
How to... settle a property line dispute?

We are considering buying some ground from dad so I had it surveyed by the county.  They went out and dug up the markers and found that the dividing line is fudged between the neighboring property onto our side about 30 feet the entire length.  It adds up to about 5 acres of lost ground for us.  What's the best course of action now?  I talked to the farmer renting it to find out exactly who owns it and got the run around.  I feel like this should be simple but I think it will end up a crap show.  I know the old man who used to own it but he gave it to his 3 kids about 5 yrs ago and there has been a divorce.  Any suggestos bros?

You can find the owner by going to the county and looking for deed information.  Many counties have their cadastral GIS available online and you can look it up that way as well.  At the very least you'll get the PIN number or Tax Identifier.  From there, make sure you have documents absolutely proving the land is yours.  If land has been sold a few times they may also have paperwork that states it is their land if a new survey wasn't done.  New owners may not be happy if they paid for 55 acres of land and only got 50.  Also, you never know what previous ancestors/owners did.  The county should have records of all sales/splits/joins, etc..  after that, contact the owner as nicely as you can and let them know you had the land surveyed, show documents, etc..  they may be ok with it and you won't have to get lawyers involved.  Otherwise you'll need to likely get lawyers involved.  Or you can sell them the sliver as well.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 08:10:34 AM »
If they surveyed from the legal description (legal description takes precedence over a drawn line) of the land based on the deed, that is a good start.  Where the neighbor may have some rights to it is if they have been paying taxes on that land for a number of years.  Say they own 100 acres but have been paying taxes on the 105 acres for 50 years, whereas you own 105 acres and have been paying taxes on 100 acres.  They could claim they were the maintainers of the land and have been paying taxes on it for a long time.  A lawyer that deals with land ownership will know more on this, but I would try to check what your father has been paying taxes on vs. what he owns.  He may have been paying taxes on that land even though he didn't know it was his.  he could have been paying taxes on "100" acres, even though he only had access to 95.  In that case, you would have very solid ground to stand on.

One way to possibly work it out with them is to grant a temporary easement allowing them to continue to use the land for a specific time period(say, the farmer who rents the land has it for another 5 years before his contract is up).  At that point when they go to renew a rental contract for farmuse, the easement will expire and then they will no longer have access to said land.

If you don't mind telling me the county it is in, I can point you towards their online parcel system if they have one.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 09:42:54 AM »

I'd probably think twice before mailing a flammable such as lighter fluid, but check with USPS. I believe they have some regulations concerning flashpoints of potential flammables.

What else is in the pack??

I ended up just getting a box (that I had to pay for) from the post office and paying the cheapest shipping which was about $15. It was too big to use any of those 1 price boxes. And yes I went through and took out the lighter fluid.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »
My dad lost 5 acres on a new lot he bought with a very similar set up.  Lost it because the neighbors sued and won due to him maintaining it for over 15 yrs while it was owned by the previous owner.  Don't remember what that is called, but it's a squatters thing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk