Author Topic: Credit Score gurus: How much would paying off a defaulted Sallie Mae loan help?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
There are lots of ways to get a free credit score and having a Discover card should be about 11tybillionth on that list.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
MIR, if you don't have this all resolved by FattyFest, have hemmy print all the documentation and bring it in the new car and I'll look at it on the ride to MHK.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Moral of the story: pay for cars with cash.

Also, Discover lets you check your FICO score whenever you want, which is cool. No annual fee either, so if you pay for credit score you might as well just hold the card for that reason alone.
or home equity loc

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just marry someone with a perfect credit score. Probably would help you a little bit (and hurt them a little bit more)

I don't have bad credit tho

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
There are lots of ways to get a free credit score and having a Discover card should be about 11tybillionth on that list.

I wonder if they still have the predatory Discover card table at the union, that was my first credit card.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
>800  :billdance:

Just need more credit history.  I think that will take some time.  :ROFL:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
At this point my credit score fluctuates almost entirely based on what percentage of my (non-overdue) credit card balance I'm using at a given point in time.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Also, Discover lets you check your FICO score whenever you want, which is cool. No annual fee either, so if you pay for credit score you might as well just hold the card for that reason alone.

every card in my wallet lets you do that
he needs his reports to see the collection companies/accounts that are screwing up his score

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

he needs his reports to see the collection companies/accounts that are screwing up his score

That's good. I guess Discover is the only one that really hypes the FICO thing. Also, my post was not necessarily directed at MIR (who btw obvs didn't know his credit score prior to going to the dealership).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
ya just letting you know that the FICO thing is pretty standard these days
also, credit karma is free but it's not a true FICO

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

That's good. I guess Discover is the only one that really hypes the FICO thing. Also, my post was not necessarily directed at MIR (who btw obvs didn't know his credit score prior to going to the dealership).

1. I didn't go to the dealership, I ran all three reports myself. I purchased a house and car in 2009 and didn't feel the need to look at the reports until now.
2. I know my score from Trans Union and key components of that report. Anyone who has the capital one app has the same. Knowing your report from all three agencies is drastically more important than knowing one score.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Saw that last night, unfortunately when I go car shopping this weekend me saying "hey did you see that John Oliver segment on credit bureaus? That happened to me, help a brother out" won't help me out too much.

I did get a letter today from the one single collection agency that I had success with last week telling me "the process has started" of removing the erroneous $3700 default from my credit report. This was slightly discouraging because I waited on the phone for 20 minutes while they reported it to experience and was told at the time that it would be gone in 72 hours.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
buying cars with cash is dumb. don't do that.
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
"If it drives, flies, or fucks -- lease." - Dwayne The Rock Johnson
emaw

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Saw that last night, unfortunately when I go car shopping this weekend me saying "hey did you see that John Oliver segment on credit bureaus? That happened to me, help a brother out" won't help me out too much.

I did get a letter today from the one single collection agency that I had success with last week telling me "the process has started" of removing the erroneous $3700 default from my credit report. This was slightly discouraging because I waited on the phone for 20 minutes while they reported it to experience and was told at the time that it would be gone in 72 hours.

Yeah but if you can pull it up on your phone and show them that it is also linked on a reputable site like gE then maybe they will believe you.  ;)