Author Topic: Welcome to ComboFan Season 2016  (Read 7102 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to ComboFan Season 2016
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2016, 07:57:54 PM »
You people...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2016, 08:50:40 PM »
I'm assuming Newell is no longer in Manhattan.

Oh man, another Newell-ite. He was the best. (though his haircuts weren't the best)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2016, 09:07:24 PM »

You know what pisses me off?! I went to two great clips over lunch today and they both were a zoo. My hair is getting crazy right now.  :curse:
Why in the world do you not have a "person" at a real salon/barber shop? eff man you're an adult now.

I need a barber shop.  Now that I'm back in Manhattan, my haircuts have been wildly inconsistent.  Will take recommendos

his name is Kevin Capper. call him.
Nope, Dylan
:adios:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »
If I came to FF, I'd bring a flowbee and play this new game that I just read about. It would be wonderful.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2016, 07:59:38 AM »

Oh man, another Newell-ite. He was the best. (though his haircuts weren't the best)
that straight razor :ohno:

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »

He stopped using the straight razor at one point. Always wondered who the victim was.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2016, 09:44:02 AM »

You know what pisses me off?! I went to two great clips over lunch today and they both were a zoo. My hair is getting crazy right now.  :curse:
Why in the world do you not have a "person" at a real salon/barber shop? eff man you're an adult now.

I need a barber shop.  Now that I'm back in Manhattan, my haircuts have been wildly inconsistent.  Will take recommendos

Nope, Dylan

i think we just need to compare my haircuts to your haircuts and we can tell who is in the right here. the answer is Kevin Capper.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »

Nope, Dylan

i think we just need to compare my haircuts to your haircuts and we can tell who is in the right here. the answer is Kevin Capper.

DLew and I were talking the other day about the salon vs barbershop experience. Isn't he the guy that has his shop within the salon? I've been out of MHK haircut game for a few years

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2016, 09:59:23 AM »
crockpots make incredible food

I made these for the spousal unit last night. 

Pulled Pork Wraps with Homemade Slaw   

1 pork roast (the size is really dependent on how many you're feeding - I used an inexpensive pork shoulder)
1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce (I used Fiorella's Jack Stack Spicy from Kansas City)
4-8 Jalapeno wraps
Slices of Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded loosely
2 carrots, peeled, shredded finely
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1 T. sugar
2 T white wine vinegar
1/2 t. dijon mustard
3 T. diced red onion
1/2 t. dry mustard
2 T. Meyer lemon juice (it's a little sweeter and it's great for cooking)
1/2 cup skim milk
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Tools o' the trade: a 5-6 quart slow cooker, a food processor 

Using four sheets of aluminum foil, make four loosely constructed balls. Place in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Cut the excess fat off the pork shoulder/roast and season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Place the pork on top of the makeshift rack - it will keep the roast from getting overly oily (the fat will render down) while still preserving the tenderness of the meat. Cook for 8 hours on low.

Remove the cooked meat from slow cooker and let it rest/cool for 15 minutes on a cutting board while you assemble the slaw. Pulse the cabbage and carrots lightly in a food processor until shredded to your desired consistency.

In a separate bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with the skim milk. This will give it the flavor of buttermilk without the added fat.

In a larger bowl, whisk together the mayo, sour cream, sugar, vinegar, mustards, onion and remaining lemon juice. Add the "buttermilk." Stir in the cabbage/carrot mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for a few minutes.

Pull the pork with two forks. Mix the pulled pork with the sauce.

Lay out a wrap - we used jalapeno wraps for the extra kick. Good choice, that. Spoon on some of the pork mixture. Top with the cheese and melt for a few seconds in the microwave or under the broiler. Add some coleslaw on top of that and wrap it up like a burrito.

Win.

when i started reading the ingreds, first thing i wondered was - how does he keep the pork from being overly fatty?  sure enough, aluminum foil balls/rack.  i'm going to make some of these fuckers next week with a few notable changes including accoutrements that have fat in them, and a handful of different misc dried peppers to cook with the shoulder

I'm sorry, could you get me another wine cooler? Kthx.

champagne and tennis lessons, life must be great.

I'm sure you'd look quite fetching in a cute lil' speedo.  On second thought, could you get me a mojito?  Fabulous, thanks.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »

Nope, Dylan

DLew and I were talking the other day about the salon vs barbershop experience. Isn't he the guy that has his shop within the salon? I've been out of MHK haircut game for a few years

He opened up his own barber shop in the Wells Fargo building downtown. He used to rent a booth at a shop in aggieville, but I only got a cut there from him once.  I don't recall off the top of my head if that place is still open, or if it got wiped out by the awful johnny kaws complex. I believe TTHOTUC is a Kevin fan.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2016, 10:02:21 AM »

Nope, Dylan

He opened up his own barber shop in the Wells Fargo building downtown. He used to rent a booth at a shop in aggieville, but I only got a cut there from him once.  I don't recall off the top of my head if that place is still open, or if it got wiped out by the awful johnny kaws complex. I believe TTHOTUC is a Kevin fan.
Ah, nice. My brother was a Kevin fan

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
I've never been super comfortable in a barbershop outside of the town I grew up in.  Barbershops are very club-like. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »

1 pork roast (the size is really dependent on how many you're feeding - I used an inexpensive pork shoulder)
4-8 Jalapeno wraps
1 T. sugar
2 T white wine vinegar
1/2 t. dijon mustard
3 T. diced red onion
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 cup skim milk

Using four sheets of aluminum foil, make four loosely constructed balls. Place in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Cut the excess fat off the pork shoulder/roast and season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Place the pork on top of the makeshift rack - it will keep the roast from getting overly oily (the fat will render down) while still preserving the tenderness of the meat. Cook for 8 hours on low.

Remove the cooked meat from slow cooker and let it rest/cool for 15 minutes on a cutting board while you assemble the slaw. Pulse the cabbage and carrots lightly in a food processor until shredded to your desired consistency.

In a separate bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with the skim milk. This will give it the flavor of buttermilk without the added fat.

In a larger bowl, whisk together the mayo, sour cream, sugar, vinegar, mustards, onion and remaining lemon juice. Add the "buttermilk." Stir in the cabbage/carrot mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for a few minutes.

Lay out a wrap - we used jalapeno wraps for the extra kick. Good choice, that. Spoon on some of the pork mixture. Top with the cheese and melt for a few seconds in the microwave or under the broiler. Add some coleslaw on top of that and wrap it up like a burrito.

Win.

when i started reading the ingreds, first thing i wondered was - how does he keep the pork from being overly fatty?  sure enough, aluminum foil balls/rack.  i'm going to make some of these fuckers next week with a few notable changes including accoutrements that have fat in them, and a handful of different misc dried peppers to cook with the shoulder

I'm sure you'd look quite fetching in a cute lil' speedo.  On second thought, could you get me a mojito?  Fabulous, thanks.

so this exchange didn't quite work, but I tried and nobody can take that away from me.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=3540.msg61259#msg61259

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »

He stopped using the straight razor at one point. Always wondered who the victim was.

Yeah, the straight razor was a bit scary when you'd watch Newell's hands shake, but then he'd put that warm shaving cream on your neck and you'd forget about the shakes.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »

4-8 Jalapeno wraps
1 T. sugar
2 T white wine vinegar
1/2 t. dijon mustard
3 T. diced red onion
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 cup skim milk

Win.

so this exchange didn't quite work, but I tried and nobody can take that away from me.

i got it and i think dlew did too, my response to your last post was just accusing her of continued laziness (champagne and tennis lessons) and dlew mentioned the mojitos.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2016, 12:42:47 PM »
ah, well jokes on me then. it took me a while to find the original but I laughed when I read the "I crap slow cookers in my sleep" line.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »
ah, well jokes on me then. it took me a while to find the original but I laughed when I read the "I crap slow cookers in my sleep" line.
yeah, i reread and kinda felt bad when i laughed about it too

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2016, 01:50:25 PM »

4-8 Jalapeno wraps
1 T. sugar
2 T white wine vinegar
1/2 t. dijon mustard
3 T. diced red onion
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 cup skim milk

Win.

i got it and i think dlew did too, my response to your last post was just accusing her of continued laziness (champagne and tennis lessons) and dlew mentioned the mojitos.

Wow, clams was quite crude for a middle schooler

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »
it was vincent, my older brother.  he used my goEMAW account all the time because he was in a frat at ksu and didn't have an account here.

The Big Train

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2016, 06:24:50 PM »

4-8 Jalapeno wraps
1 T. sugar
2 T white wine vinegar
1/2 t. dijon mustard
3 T. diced red onion
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 cup skim milk

Win.

Wow, clams was quite crude for a middle schooler

Yeah he was

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2016, 03:43:46 PM »
lol, look at pmshead in here giving haircut reccomendos. His hair has been untamed for well over a year now.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2016, 03:59:15 PM »
remember not to dive too far into one particular thread idea in this thread.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2016, 08:03:18 PM »
You could rank and talk about your favorite ramen shops.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
I just had an idea for a thread where we all share our mac and cheese recipes.
My kind of thread! Bring it on.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023