Author Topic: firebrucewebernow.com  (Read 102624 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: firebrucewebernow.com
« Reply #875 on: February 03, 2021, 09:39:05 AM »
When it’s all said and done, oscar will go down as a below average KSU b-ball coach.

Since WWII......

Since WWII......

Genuinely curious why you chose WWII as the start date for your "below average" argument?

Everyone on the court wore boots and a suit and tie before WWII. The game is completely different now.

I mean, any sane person can agree the game is different now than it was before WWII... but are you saying it's the same now as it was in 1946?

Absolutely not. Shoe technology has improved tremendously since then.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 03, 2021, 09:40:43 AM »
Now he’s just somebody that we used to know
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 03, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »
He does not get knocked because he chose to stay at K-State while others ran off to other jobs.

Chose?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 03, 2021, 09:52:24 AM »
He does not get knocked because he chose to stay at K-State while others ran off to other jobs.

Chose?

Lol.

I actually want to see where all the other coaches went when they left K-State. For some reason it feels like most of them took lateral or lesser jobs to leave K-State.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 03, 2021, 09:53:56 AM »
if oscar would have chosen to bounce for another gig like 6 years ago i would have been the first in line to donate to the ernie and oscar statue fund.  Anyway, all of this putting his accomplishments in historical context is fine and all, but seems kind of dumb when you just stop and look at the current product. And if you want to point to the success of the not so distant past...okay well literally only 1 player from the conference champion squad is still even on the roster and that's mike. i guess what i'm saying is, essentially none of the players that made those teams successful are still there, so the argument to keep oscar is...what, exactly? maybe he will put together another squad some day that could win the conference? i mean we know it won't be this year, and it won't be next year, so like, okay maybe 2 years from now he could possibly begin to right the ship? lets accept 3 consecutive god awful dumpster fire seasons in the hopes that the 4th season we might finish somewhere between 6th and 8th in the league? good grief what an absolute small time unconfident loser mentality for anyone who thinks this

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 03, 2021, 09:59:27 AM »
Agree with Big Apple that historical is fine and all, but we're paying for current/future performance which I do not feel consistently good about.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 03, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »
I think everyone is assuming oscar is gone/should be gone and putting his time here in perspective.

Is there anyone out there (not on Wildcat Salute) claiming oscar deserves more time?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 03, 2021, 10:09:38 AM »
oscar weber owns your souls

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 03, 2021, 10:20:11 AM »
Jokes on Oscar, I sold my soul in 10th grade for a stick of juicy fruit
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 03, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
Is there anyone out there (not on Wildcat Salute) claiming oscar deserves more time?

I'd keep him over someone who finishes in the middle of the pack every year. Is there much chance we'd hire someone who'd be better than that?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: February 03, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »
Let's talk losing streaks for K-State basketball.

oscar is trying to match EC Curtis with the worst losing streak in K-State history, though that one did bridge 2 seasons. In 1922 Curtis' Wildcats lost 9 straight, won a game, then lost 5 straight to end the season before starting the 1923 season with another 9 game losing streak. The media guide says 15, but the count is 14 by the schedules. Regardless, oscar is in rare territory here and also trying to match Asbury's 2 losing streaks of 10 games in 1997 and 11 in 2000.

I haven't done the research, but I'm pretty sure losing 4 straight conference games by 20+ each and a combined 119 is a record of some sort too.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 03, 2021, 10:33:39 AM »
Well, that chart says oscar already matched Asbury's 2 10 game losing streaks last year, so matching them again this year wouldn't mean much. He needs at least 11 to beat his own personal record at K-State.

Edit: Nevermind, I misread your post. He's trying to do it twice just like Asbury did. Gotcha.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 03, 2021, 10:45:30 AM »

I'd keep him over someone who finishes in the middle of the pack every year. Is there much chance we'd hire someone who'd be better than that?

That's not how it works.

People lost their crap when oscar was hired. If you would've told them he'll win the conference twice and make an Elite 8 over the next 7 years, you could shut people up, but you couldn't.

The game is evolving, there could be another Beard out there or there could be another Wooly.

We don't get to know the results before the hire.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 03, 2021, 10:50:34 AM »
In saying that, I'd take my chances hiring someone like KT Turner. Quality recruiter, and probably getting a head job soon.

I think he can keep the good parts of this roster and add some pieces. I'd like to see what he can do.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 03, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »

That's not how it works.

People lost their crap when oscar was hired. If you would've told them he'll win the conference twice and make an Elite 8 over the next 7 years, you could shut people up, but you couldn't.

The game is evolving, there could be another Beard out there or there could be another Wooly.

I'm saying we kinda do know. And we'd be taking an awfully big gamble. Like Illinois did.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 03, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »

That's not how it works.

I'm saying we kinda do know. And we'd be taking an awfully big gamble. Like Illinois did.

I would typically agree. But at this point, I don't think it's a gamble to say we can hire a guy that can win more than 4 conference games in 2 years.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #891 on: February 03, 2021, 11:02:02 AM »

I think there's a chance. I mean we could 100% flub the next hire (and I am assuming oscar is here for a while), but that still doesn't mean that its impossible to hire a coach who does better than finish in the middle of the pack every year.

BUT I think I get your point.  Over simplifying, but let's say we can broadly but coaches into 4 groups.

1. SLTH --- consistently finishes middle of the pack, never wins anything of value, but doesn't have disastrous seasons either

2. The "Puncher" --- if things line up just right they can win the conference and make a deep run in the tournament, but they can also get knocked the eff out and have teams that completely suck. It's hard to tell when a Puncher will never get back up again.

3. The "Winner" ---  just consistently wins things of value, very rare to find

4. The "Loser" --- just consistently loses, always below .500 in conference and never sniffs the big dance

Personally, I really don't like 1 --- IMHO its a special kind of hell for a fan.  Of course no one likes 4, and everyone wants 3.  I *thought* oscar would be a 1 for us at KSU, but I was obviously wrong.  He's a 2, and I am honest I preferred greatly to have a 2 at KSU over a 1, I always want to believe there is a chance for something great.  The question for me is, can oscar get off the mat again?  I don't know, but if he can then obviously he gives KSU a better chance to win than some derp from the 1 pool. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 03, 2021, 11:02:16 AM »
oscar is trying to match EC Curtis with the worst losing streak in K-State history, though that one did bridge 2 seasons. In 1922 Curtis' Wildcats lost 9 straight, won a game, then lost 5 straight to end the season before starting the 1923 season with another 9 game losing streak. The media guide says 15, but the count is 14 by the schedules.

ok.  this is something i could get interested in.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #893 on: February 03, 2021, 11:03:54 AM »

That's not how it works.

We know that oscar can win if he can turn it around.   I don't think we know if oscar can turn it around again. He might be done, it happens to even the best of coaches.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 03, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »
Well, that chart says oscar already matched Asbury's 2 10 game losing streaks last year, so matching them again this year wouldn't mean much. He needs at least 11 to beat his own personal record at K-State.

Edit: Nevermind, I misread your post. He's trying to do it twice just like Asbury did. Gotcha.

we need to set our sights on the full 14 (15 to beat).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 03, 2021, 11:11:39 AM »

The TCU game is critical.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 03, 2021, 11:13:46 AM »

Emphatically ending "The Streak" with "The Streak". I like it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 03, 2021, 11:13:59 AM »
I don't think a consistent middle of the pack coach exists. Everyone but the very best or very worst have ups and downs and the SLTH finishes middle of the pack or bottom of the pack.

oscar just has the wildest highs and lows imaginable

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 03, 2021, 11:15:28 AM »
Also, if you have a coach that finishes middle of the pack every year, that's a tourney team in the Big 12... every year (7 teams in the tourney 4 of the last 6 years, 6 the other 2). You'd assume they're top of the middle tier some years, and bottom others

But yes, as of today, I would take a tourney team every year for the next 6 years and see what happens.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: February 03, 2021, 11:19:28 AM »
Meant tourney/bubble team every year*