Author Topic: firebrucewebernow.com  (Read 102662 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: firebrucewebernow.com
« Reply #775 on: February 01, 2021, 11:32:58 AM »
Classic boy who cried wolf routine.

You mean where the boy was telling the truth and died violently because no one heeded his cries?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 01, 2021, 11:35:40 AM »
I just don't think it matters much. Yeah he walked it back a bit but other than a dozen or so folks on Twitter no one cares

You didn't take exception to how much it matters, of course nothing really matters does it? You questioned my assessment that Gene making these statements were bad optics. At this point I'm certain Gene regrets how those interviews turned out, unless he's cool with looking like he's waffling on the status of his men's basketball coach.

What matters to Gene (and really should) is the financial health of the Athletic Department. If firing oscar is best for the bottom line long-term, he's gone. I can see how both firing and retaining could be the right financial moves TBH. His somewhat sloppy interviews don't impact anything financially or hurt us with recruits or future coaches. Big donors that are concerned get a phone call. Seriously, what's the REAL damage here?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 01, 2021, 12:08:22 PM »
I just don't think it matters much. Yeah he walked it back a bit but other than a dozen or so folks on Twitter no one cares

You didn't take exception to how much it matters, of course nothing really matters does it? You questioned my assessment that Gene making these statements were bad optics. At this point I'm certain Gene regrets how those interviews turned out, unless he's cool with looking like he's waffling on the status of his men's basketball coach.

What matters to Gene (and really should) is the financial health of the Athletic Department. If firing oscar is best for the bottom line long-term, he's gone. I can see how both firing and retaining could be the right financial moves TBH. His somewhat sloppy interviews don't impact anything financially or hurt us with recruits or future coaches. Big donors that are concerned get a phone call. Seriously, what's the REAL damage here?

Again, you've moved the goal posts. I never and would never claim any of that isn't true. This is how we got here.

Why is gene talking?

I don't know but for the first time since he's been here I think he's behaving as if he's over his head. I thought he also talked too much about the Stanford game.

I can't think of any good that could've come from him even being in a position to be asked things this weekend.  And nobody was even clamoring to hear from him anyway.  It's not like people are going to not buy tickets to the fOOD the rest of the season if they don't hear things they want to hear from him.

I was stunned that he gave one on the record interviews, but two! Holy crap! He'll probably be on with John Kurtz tomorrow as well, so it will likely be 3 interviews in just over 24 hours.

There are only two reasons I can think of and they're both really bad reasons to go out stammering without solid talking points.

1. His boss asked him to try to lower the temperature. Of course this does the exact opposite.
2. Despite him saying most donors are not getting involved, which btw is literally the case everywhere, some are absolutely losing their crap behind the scenes and he panicked.

Like I said either way, it's a bad look and while I'll always take athletic directors going on the record, for his sake he needs to limit his visibility to his ask the ad videos for a long while.

It's a bad look to whom? I only read the Mercury one and it seemed fine. :dunno:

I agree that his shitty messaging ultimately doesn't hurt anything, I never claimed otherwise. All I said is that it is a bad look. I am certain that we can find common ground that if any supervisor makes the unusual choice to publicly comment on the future employment status of his/her subordinate they should be firm on the messaging. It's not a great for your customers or the employee that you're commenting on if literally every single media member covering your program are using words like backtracking and unsure to describe your public comments.

Since we certainly agree on that and on the fact that it ultimately won't mean anything other than it makes Gene look like a buffoon, we can simply move on.

If you really want a jump off point to keep this going, I will point out that the fact that this likely isn't harmful to recruits is another indictment on oscar and where he is. If he had any recruits that we cared even a little bit about, we would absolutely be worried that the athletic director is publically unsure about the future of his coach.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 01, 2021, 12:35:17 PM »
all fair - I don't think it's a sign he's "in over his head" at all but yeah not worth discussing more

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 01, 2021, 12:41:12 PM »
I didn't think oscar was capable of getting fired this year until the Baylor game. A 30 pt KU loss combined with losing out should do it.  I don't know that we're capable of winning a game with the competition we have left but I also don't know that KU is capable of beating us by 30.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 01, 2021, 12:42:20 PM »
Firing a coach two years after a conference championship seems highly unusual.

And I haven't seen signs of some obvious big push from boosters or anything.

It's not as unusual as finishing dead last 2 consecutive years after winning a conference championship. I will be shocked if oscar doesn't get fired. Gene has balls of steel if he doesn't fire him.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 01, 2021, 12:49:10 PM »
They're not dead last, but carry on.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 01, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
oscar is primed to whip ku's ass this year
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 01, 2021, 12:58:08 PM »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 01, 2021, 01:01:27 PM »

:lol:
Just state facts when you're melting down on here, people. That's all I want.  :dunno: :)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 01, 2021, 01:10:56 PM »
I didn't think oscar was capable of getting fired this year until the Baylor game. A 30 pt KU loss combined with losing out should do it.  I don't know that we're capable of winning a game with the competition we have left but I also don't know that KU is capable of beating us by 30.

they very much are capable of that

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 01, 2021, 01:12:32 PM »

It's not as unusual as finishing dead last 2 consecutive years after winning a conference championship. I will be shocked if oscar doesn't get fired. Gene has balls of steel if he doesn't fire him.

I don’t think he has any reason to retain oscar, it’s not his guy.  It would be incredibly popular with the fan base to fire him. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 01, 2021, 01:45:56 PM »
I don't understand the reasons to fire him before his buyout drops.  We would want to see who comes out of the tourn-a-ment lookin all hawt anyway

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 01, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »
I don’t think he has any reason to retain oscar, it’s not his guy.  It would be incredibly popular with the fan base to fire him. 

It's more work to fire and hire a coach, assuming he doesn't have a dakotan already in place.  Plus he'd be immediately risking any goodwill that would come from firing oscar by hiring someone shitty.

Does he need any of that headache or can he just coast it out a few more years?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 01, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »
How has covid affected his search firm bros?  Does he need to give one of them 6 figures of KSU money to hire a guy he was going to hire all along?

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 01, 2021, 01:54:39 PM »
*Dead last in school history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 01, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »

It's more work to fire and hire a coach, assuming he doesn't have a dakotan already in place.  Plus he'd be immediately risking any goodwill that would come from firing oscar by hiring someone shitty.

Does he need any of that headache or can he just coast it out a few more years?
Big Gene is gonna coast and ride the damned wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 01, 2021, 02:05:49 PM »

Just state facts when you're melting down on here, people. That's all I want.  :dunno: :)

Not only aren't we last, but Iowa State might legitimately be worse, they're certainly just as bad and they don't have talented freshmen to point to, they have one talented freshman and he's out for the year. I'd argue that losing to Mississippi State by 40 is much worse than losing to Baylor by 50, but that's a hair split.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 01, 2021, 02:08:06 PM »

If he didn't prove he had balls when he fired Snyder, he'll never prove that. I don't think being ballsy is an issue for him.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 01, 2021, 02:12:31 PM »

If he didn't prove he had balls when he fired Snyder, he'll never prove that. I don't think being ballsy is an issue for him.

hiring CK was ballsy, too. a lot of folks think it was the easy hire for him, but I think they just have insecurities about feeling small timey

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 01, 2021, 02:13:26 PM »
I don't understand the reasons to fire him before his buyout drops.  We would want to see who comes out of the tourn-a-ment lookin all hawt anyway

With the pool of candidates we're sure to hire from, if we're claiming poverty, there isn't a reason to fire him before May 2nd other than optics that we are in fact poor. If oscar is interested in working again, he'll want to work out a settlement and do it before then. If he "resigns" it will be because of this.

If Gene does end up having to hire a basketball coach this spring I hope what happens at this year's tournament has absolutely zero bearing on who he hires. I don't care if the NDSU coach goes to the final four, it shouldn't matter to Gene.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 01, 2021, 02:15:29 PM »

hiring CK was ballsy, too. a lot of folks think it was the easy hire for him, but I think they just have insecurities about feeling small timey

Agreed. Not to go all wackycat here but :ROFL: at everyone who wanted to hire that dumb reddirt hick Seth LittreLL, then got mad that we hired Klieman.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 01, 2021, 02:18:01 PM »
oscar was well on his way to the college of charleston before we took a flyer on him.  whether he wants to work again may not really factor into where he goes from here.

bottom line is that everyone but wacky saw where we are now, coming, when oscar was hired and while he may rally the team to a win or two (i personally think he's lost them), we will be back in this place as long as oscar is our coach.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 01, 2021, 03:20:40 PM »

Not only aren't we last, but Iowa State might legitimately be worse, they're certainly just as bad and they don't have talented freshmen to point to, they have one talented freshman and he's out for the year. I'd argue that losing to Mississippi State by 40 is much worse than losing to Baylor by 50, but that's a hair split.

i dunno if there's much value in trying to determine which turd smells shittier

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 01, 2021, 05:08:01 PM »
When it’s all said and done, oscar will go down as a below average KSU b-ball coach.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.