Author Topic: firebrucewebernow.com  (Read 102626 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: firebrucewebernow.com
« Reply #750 on: January 31, 2021, 11:23:39 PM »
Got to bed, MIR, JFC! I honestly don’t care.

lol, you clearly do. Why so mad?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 31, 2021, 11:37:57 PM »
Why is gene talking?

I don't know but for the first time since he's been here I think he's behaving as if he's over his head. I thought he also talked too much about the Stanford game.

I can't think of any good that could've come from him even being in a position to be asked things this weekend.  And nobody was even clamoring to hear from him anyway.  It's not like people are going to not buy tickets to the fOOD the rest of the season if they don't hear things they want to hear from him.

I was stunned that he gave one on the record interviews, but two! Holy crap! He'll probably be on with John Kurtz tomorrow as well, so it will likely be 3 interviews in just over 24 hours.

There are only two reasons I can think of and they're both really bad reasons to go out stammering without solid talking points.

1. His boss asked him to try to lower the temperature. Of course this does the exact opposite.
2. Despite him saying most donors are not getting involved, which btw is literally the case everywhere, some are absolutely losing their crap behind the scenes and he panicked.

Like I said either way, it's a bad look and while I'll always take athletic directors going on the record, for his sake he needs to limit his visibility to his ask the ad videos for a long while.

It's a bad look to whom? I only read the Mercury one and it seemed fine. :dunno:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 31, 2021, 11:38:46 PM »
Why is gene talking?

I don't know but for the first time since he's been here I think he's behaving as if he's over his head. I thought he also talked too much about the Stanford game.

Yup.

Kind of feel like he’s sitting at home, genuinely confused, telling himself a win against KU this week will fix everything.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 01, 2021, 12:35:35 AM »
Why is gene talking?

I can't think of any good that could've come from him even being in a position to be asked things this weekend.  And nobody was even clamoring to hear from him anyway.  It's not like people are going to not buy tickets to the fOOD the rest of the season if they don't hear things they want to hear from him.

I was stunned that he gave one on the record interviews, but two! Holy crap! He'll probably be on with John Kurtz tomorrow as well, so it will likely be 3 interviews in just over 24 hours.

There are only two reasons I can think of and they're both really bad reasons to go out stammering without solid talking points.

1. His boss asked him to try to lower the temperature. Of course this does the exact opposite.
2. Despite him saying most donors are not getting involved, which btw is literally the case everywhere, some are absolutely losing their crap behind the scenes and he panicked.

Like I said either way, it's a bad look and while I'll always take athletic directors going on the record, for his sake he needs to limit his visibility to his ask the ad videos for a long while.

It's a bad look to whom? I only read the Mercury one and it seemed fine. :dunno:

First of all, maybe go ahead and read both articles.

It's a bad look because going on the record, in that manner, isn't going to change anyone's mind, what's the point? The people who are the most pissed are only going to get angrier. Was the point to make oscar feel better?

I think you know me to be rational about this stuff, I think he's done but I'm not going to stop being a fan if I come back. Even non burn it down me sees a real problem in his mixed messaging.

From the Mercury article
According to K-State athletics director Gene Taylor, however, there is no uncertainty. Barring something entirely unforeseen — specifically, a situation not involving on-court results — Weber will return as the Wildcats' head coach next year regardless of how the team finishes this season.

"That's our intention," Taylor told The Mercury in a phone interview Saturday night.

Now I know those, for the most part aren't his words, but one of three beat writers this team has seems pretty clear about the framing of the quote.

Now, just hours later to another of the three beat writers.
Taylor told the Wichita Eagle on Sunday that he didn’t feel comfortable sharing his thoughts on Weber’s future or the men’s basketball team with more than a month left in the season, saying “it’s not fair to anyone.” But he decided to do it because fans are frustrated and speculation is beginning to grow.

His plan is to let the season play out and then discuss the future of the program with Weber afterward.

“There is still a lot of basketball left to play,” Taylor said. “The players are going to continue to work hard and the players are going to continue to work hard. I always evaluate all the way through. I don’t stop evaluating. Let’s see how we finish the season and go from there.”

So let's take him for his word, he's talking to ease frustrations. Do you really think he's doing that? How about how his coach feels? Looks like he didn't like Ryan Black's interpretation so he hedged with Kellis

You know and I know that he's going to assess a series of factors when the season is over, the people he's presumably talking to don't want to hear that. When he made the decision to talk to Ryan Black that should have been what he conveyed, he didn't do that now he's scuffling and has made everyone feel uneasy.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 01, 2021, 01:03:30 AM »
Wackster since you seem to be the most outspoken weber supporter on this blog, maybe you can help me understand something. As you've stated about a million times...weber has had far more success than frank ever did (see confy champs...i guess the E8 think would be a wash since both of them took the cats to exactly one E8 game but i digress) so if weber's team have achieved so much more...where tf did the fans go? 

when frank was here the place was nutty, and it was nutty b/c the fans cared, and they cared because they appreciated what they were seeing on the court. i have not heard a single one of weber's teams described as JYCs except maybe his first year since it was still all frank's players. but those guys were scrappy and they got after it and maybe it was frank's coaching style but they rarely ever just looked completely lost out there, they were always giving it everything they had and if they didn't frank would pull them and put in someone who would, and i think the fans recognized and appreciated it. I'm not saying every game was close, there are plenty of games we got our asses kicked with frank, but we had a brand and a home court advantage.

You'd think that since weber just continued and built upon frank's success...the gameday experience would just continue to grow because why wouldn't success beget even more passion from the fans? so like, what happened?

were the vast majority of the fans die hard frankites? have the teams of the last 9 years been every bit as scrappy but the fans just don't appreciate it anymore? have the fans grown bored with having an intimidating home court advantage? and instead would rather even the playing field and maybe create more of a semi neutral court atmosphere?

I dunno man, I'm just asking, maybe you can help me understand. maybe the OOD was tired and played out, maybe having players described as JYC's was small timey? it just seems weird that the fans completely changed even though we kept getting better

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 01, 2021, 01:40:33 AM »
I keep seeing this and it is my favorite out of all the contrived things to care about.

a losing conference record after nine years

Contrived. BS word by an apologist for failure.
It's a legitimate benchmark, considering the pillow-soft non-conference schedules Oscar regularly treats us to.

How many losing conference records did Snyder have once he'd been here for nine years? How many times did you think he should be fired for it?

3. And hot take here but the ‘88 football program Snyder took over was in much worse shape than the ‘11 basketball program oscar took over. Also after 9 years his teams were consistently improving. Chum I assume you’re being facetious and I’m just not picking up on it bc this is otherwise a monumentally stupid comparison

No, the idea that a coach shouldn't have a bad season after they've been around long enough to have things figured out is rough ridin' stupid.

i don't think anyone would be calling for his head after one bad season. but this has been 2 bad seasons. like, historically bad seasons. like how could this team have won the conference just 2 years ago? And on top of that, there is absolutely no reason to think its going to get any better next year. Barring it a miracle it will be 3 seasons of absolute dumpster fire trash and that is not hyperbole the team has been so gd bad the last 2 years. So just a quick recap for the folks at home:
2015: bad team, no postseason
2016: bad team, no postseason
2017: milquetoast team. ever so barely makes it to the play in game as an 11 seed (so like, quite literally one of the last 4 at large teams to get selected)
2018: yay umbc
2019: conf champs that's cool, but shitty luck we get stuck with the juggernauts of the west, UC Irvine. tough luck on that draw.
2020: atrocious
2021: i shouldn't have used the word atrocious to describe the 2020 team b/c its not leaving me much room to sink lower but here we are
2022: barring a miracle this team is going to be hovering right around the 2021 team.

So that's the resume over the last 7 years (the majority of his time as the coach). Yeah i mean, he's really been doing a great job, nothing wrong w/ that resume. i don't see where all the hate is coming from.

Also i'm no historian, but if memory serves snyder over a decade of almost continual marked improvement and sustained success, winning the conference championship in his 13th season and then 2 years after he won the conference...gone. idk, food for thought.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 01, 2021, 02:45:36 AM »
This is the reaction I anticipated.

The lead BID'er in the media, Fitz, has this headline on his site
Updated: Gene Taylor seems to backtrack on words to Mercury

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
firebrucewebernow.com
« Reply #757 on: February 01, 2021, 07:12:23 AM »
Wacky, let me put it in terms you might understand better. Pretend we are married to oscar.  We’ve had our ups and downs, sure. Great times, okay times, that one time he got lit with Randolph and made out with a spring breaker in Padre, but we forgave him for that and had a couple of the best years of our marriage.

For the last couple years though, he’s been cheating constantly with girls on Tinder, girls at bars, at hotels on the road, wherever.  Some of them are at least a level of two below us, but he just can’t help himself. He keeps cheating on us and throwing it in our face.

oscar and some of our friends are telling us we need to stay with him for the kids, at least until they grow up and are out of the house. They say things are going to get good again, and it isn’t like we are some hot catch, so we probably can’t do better and might as well stay with oscar.
:adios:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 01, 2021, 07:33:04 AM »
I keep seeing this and it is my favorite out of all the contrived things to care about.

a losing conference record after nine years

Contrived. BS word by an apologist for failure.
It's a legitimate benchmark, considering the pillow-soft non-conference schedules Oscar regularly treats us to.

How many losing conference records did Snyder have once he'd been here for nine years? How many times did you think he should be fired for it?

3. And hot take here but the ‘88 football program Snyder took over was in much worse shape than the ‘11 basketball program oscar took over. Also after 9 years his teams were consistently improving. Chum I assume you’re being facetious and I’m just not picking up on it bc this is otherwise a monumentally stupid comparison

No, the idea that a coach shouldn't have a bad season after they've been around long enough to have things figured out is rough ridin' stupid.

i don't think anyone would be calling for his head after one bad season. but this has been 2 bad seasons. like, historically bad seasons. like how could this team have won the conference just 2 years ago? And on top of that, there is absolutely no reason to think its going to get any better next year. Barring it a miracle it will be 3 seasons of absolute dumpster fire trash and that is not hyperbole the team has been so gd bad the last 2 years. So just a quick recap for the folks at home:
2015: bad team, no postseason
2016: bad team, no postseason
2017: milquetoast team. ever so barely makes it to the play in game as an 11 seed (so like, quite literally one of the last 4 at large teams to get selected)
2018: yay umbc
2019: conf champs that's cool, but shitty luck we get stuck with the juggernauts of the west, UC Irvine. tough luck on that draw.
2020: atrocious
2021: i shouldn't have used the word atrocious to describe the 2020 team b/c its not leaving me much room to sink lower but here we are
2022: barring a miracle this team is going to be hovering right around the 2021 team.

So that's the resume over the last 7 years (the majority of his time as the coach). Yeah i mean, he's really been doing a great job, nothing wrong w/ that resume. i don't see where all the hate is coming from.

Also i'm no historian, but if memory serves snyder over a decade of almost continual marked improvement and sustained success, winning the conference championship in his 13th season and then 2 years after he won the conference...gone. idk, food for thought.

I wasn't taking issue with any of that, just with what was actually said.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 01, 2021, 07:39:31 AM »
I don't think the average fan cares about Frank vs. oscar. If anything, the average fan likes oscar more.

Attendance is a function of consistent winning, which oscar does not do.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 01, 2021, 07:42:28 AM »
Why is gene talking?

It's a bad look because going on the record, in that manner, isn't going to change anyone's mind, what's the point? The people who are the most pissed are only going to get angrier. Was the point to make oscar feel better?

I think you know me to be rational about this stuff, I think he's done but I'm not going to stop being a fan if I come back. Even non burn it down me sees a real problem in his mixed messaging.

From the Mercury article
According to K-State athletics director Gene Taylor, however, there is no uncertainty. Barring something entirely unforeseen — specifically, a situation not involving on-court results — Weber will return as the Wildcats' head coach next year regardless of how the team finishes this season.

"That's our intention," Taylor told The Mercury in a phone interview Saturday night.

Now I know those, for the most part aren't his words, but one of three beat writers this team has seems pretty clear about the framing of the quote.

Taylor told the Wichita Eagle on Sunday that he didn’t feel comfortable sharing his thoughts on Weber’s future or the men’s basketball team with more than a month left in the season, saying “it’s not fair to anyone.” But he decided to do it because fans are frustrated and speculation is beginning to grow.

His plan is to let the season play out and then discuss the future of the program with Weber afterward.

“There is still a lot of basketball left to play,” Taylor said. “The players are going to continue to work hard and the players are going to continue to work hard. I always evaluate all the way through. I don’t stop evaluating. Let’s see how we finish the season and go from there.”

So let's take him for his word, he's talking to ease frustrations. Do you really think he's doing that? How about how his coach feels? Looks like he didn't like Ryan Black's interpretation so he hedged with Kellis

You know and I know that he's going to assess a series of factors when the season is over, the people he's presumably talking to don't want to hear that. When he made the decision to talk to Ryan Black that should have been what he conveyed, he didn't do that now he's scuffling and has made everyone feel uneasy.
I hit the paywall for the Eagle, but meh.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 01, 2021, 07:52:04 AM »
I don't think the average fan cares about Frank vs. oscar. If anything, the average fan likes oscar more.

Yup. I'd also note that oscar has coached here during a decade that has seen the biggest drop in attendance across all live events nationwide.

So, when you're a personality like oscar, and your lows are pretty low (and now stupid low the last 2 years), attendance is going to hurt even worse in the not great years.

For another day, but I hope a Bramlage reno can take out 2k+ seats.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 01, 2021, 08:17:27 AM »
People lose all rationale when it comes to oscar. 90% of the fan base never wanted him and never accepted him from day 1. History shows he’s the 3rd winningest coach in program history, so since they never wanted him, they just brake down his faults. I’m actually happy we have an administration that tries to think through things and not obey to social media dorks who can barely run their own daily head quarters.

That simply isn't true, not even a little bit. I will grant you that some people are irrational about oscar and the root of it is the overwhelming want to be right, even though that ship has sailed. However, your propensity to dismiss any oscar criticism at all is just as extreme. 99% of K-State basketball fans fall somewhere between the continuum of you and trim, but you treat everyone like they're a shitty fan for not wanting to deal with this catastrophe anymore.
The same cast of characters have been saying "fire oscar" from day 1. Sorry if it's lost it's luster with me. Classic boy who cried wolf routine.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 01, 2021, 08:27:12 AM »
Wacky, let me put it in terms you might understand better. Pretend we are married to oscar.  We’ve had our ups and downs, sure. Great times, okay times, that one time he got lit with Randolph and made out with a spring breaker in Padre, but we forgave him for that and had a couple of the best years of our marriage.

For the last couple years though, he’s been cheating constantly with girls on Tinder, girls at bars, at hotels on the road, wherever.  Some of them are at least a level of two below us, but he just can’t help himself. He keeps cheating on us and throwing it in our face.

oscar and some of our friends are telling us we need to stay with him for the kids, at least until they grow up and are out of the house. They say things are going to get good again, and it isn’t like we are some hot catch, so we probably can’t do better and might as well stay with oscar.
I'm well aware of what's going on out there. A big portion of our fanbase tried to shove Gottlieb and Seth Litrell down our throats and have always been #TeamBID (while being dead silent during conference titles) and all i'm saying is, maybe don't listen to those guys anymore either, because they don't know jack crap.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 01, 2021, 08:36:48 AM »

FTR i wasn't trying to say we should get frank back, i realize that was never going to be a possibility. he just happens to be the guy that oscar replaced and we need to compare oscar to SOMETHING, and the last guy seems like the most logical/relevant choice. like it wouldn't make a lot of sense to compare weber to like, tex winter for example

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: February 01, 2021, 09:10:00 AM »

I'm well aware of what's going on out there. A big portion of our fanbase tried to shove Gottlieb and Seth Litrell down our throats and have always been #TeamBID (while being dead silent during conference titles) and all i'm saying is, maybe don't listen to those guys anymore either, because they don't know jack crap.

15 people on gE isn't a big portion of the fanbase unless Oscar has driven out more fans than I realize.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 01, 2021, 09:43:18 AM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 01, 2021, 10:30:27 AM »
Why is gene talking?

From the Mercury article

I hit the paywall for the Eagle, but meh.

Rusty, are you just playing the role contrarian here?

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1356014120852725761

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 01, 2021, 10:34:47 AM »
I just don't think it matters much. Yeah he walked it back a bit but other than a dozen or so folks on Twitter no one cares

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 01, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »
Does anyone think he isn’t going to fire oscar?   I assumed we all think that’s going to happen.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 01, 2021, 11:07:11 AM »
I'll honestly be shocked if Gene fires oscar this year. I will not be shocked if I am wrong.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 01, 2021, 11:13:51 AM »
i'd be shocked if he fires him.  wanting winning teams but accepting losing ones is the k-state way.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 01, 2021, 11:14:01 AM »
Why do you think he won’t fire oscar?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 01, 2021, 11:27:05 AM »
Firing a coach two years after a conference championship seems highly unusual.

And I haven't seen signs of some obvious big push from boosters or anything.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 01, 2021, 11:29:01 AM »
I just don't think it matters much. Yeah he walked it back a bit but other than a dozen or so folks on Twitter no one cares

You didn't take exception to how much it matters, of course nothing really matters does it? You questioned my assessment that Gene making these statements were bad optics. At this point I'm certain Gene regrets how those interviews turned out, unless he's cool with looking like he's waffling on the status of his men's basketball coach.