Author Topic: firebrucewebernow.com  (Read 103526 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: firebrucewebernow.com
« Reply #325 on: March 12, 2016, 03:09:33 PM »
What's a worse look for currie - wanting to win and accordingly hiring oscar, or not wanting to win and accordingly hiring oscar?

this is a great question, because as a casual observer of college sports and not something that i do for a living to make money and provide for my family, i would and did know for 100% certainty that the oscar hire was going to fail. not 99%. 100%. if i knew, how did he not?

See my post.  He got bullied by people who stood to gain if Weber got hired or who had a close friendship with Weber.

sure, but he still had to be incredibly college basketball stupid to go along with it and a decent part of your job should be to not be really dumb about your second biggest sport. also, from what i remember, he basically had oscar hired before frank was even gone. there was no real search. so yeah, he did what a couple of people told him to do. he's a very, very good accountant and he's in charge of hiring and firing division 1 coaches that make four times as much as he does. shocking that he doesn't want to put up with a little bit of frank and deb bullshit. easier to get rid of those hard chargers and hire some white middle aged male uber conforming schlubs.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 12, 2016, 03:22:56 PM »

Comparing Frank and oscar is pointless until SC does something noteworthy.
I think what Frank has done is pretty noteworthy, considering where both programs were when each coach took over. One is trending up and one is trending down / stagnant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't use qualifiers. I don't dislike him, but Frank hasn't accomplished crap.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 12, 2016, 03:40:11 PM »
What's a worse look for currie - wanting to win and accordingly hiring oscar, or not wanting to win and accordingly hiring oscar?

this is a great question, because as a casual observer of college sports and not something that i do for a living to make money and provide for my family, i would and did know for 100% certainty that the oscar hire was going to fail. not 99%. 100%. if i knew, how did he not?
I don't think Currie thought oscar failed at Illinois.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf

Look at oscar's last few seasons there. Currie probably looks at that and thinks Illinois' AD was crazy for letting him go.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 12, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf

Look at oscar's last few seasons there. Currie probably looks at that and thinks Illinois' AD was crazy for letting him go.

Good point and link.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 12, 2016, 04:45:16 PM »

Good point and link.

illinois is top 20 min attendance every year though. that's why it's v weird for a coach to fail there. i'm not 100%, but i think oscar is the only coach to ever be fired from that school. it just doesn't happen. it's v easy to succeed their and match fan expectations.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 12, 2016, 04:56:38 PM »

Good point and link.

illinois is top 20 min attendance every year though. that's why it's v weird for a coach to fail there. i'm not 100%, but i think oscar is the only coach to ever be fired from that school. it just doesn't happen. it's v easy to succeed their and match fan expectations.

Wow, they really have never fired a coach in the modern era.  Henson, Kruger, Self from 1974-2003 is a remarkable run.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2016, 04:59:02 PM »

Good point and link.

Also a good point (although they're about to fire a second). I still think he sees oscar's Illinois wins and losses replicated at KSU as acceptable as long is there is reasonably strong revenue.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »

Good point and link.

Wow, they really have never fired a coach in the modern era.  Henson, Kruger, Self from 1974-2003 is a remarkable run.

it goes back way further than that. i think a coach resigned once or something but no one has ever been fired. except oscar. so we hired the only person to ever be fired from coaching basketball at illinois.

The Big Train

« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2016, 05:02:55 PM »
Amazing

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2016, 05:05:44 PM »
I mean firing basketball coaches pre 1970 wasn't really a thing but i get what you are saying. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 12, 2016, 05:06:04 PM »
What you gotta remember about that fact that oscar is the only coach to have ever been fired by illinois is that none of the others had the bad luck to be saddled with a young team and close losses.  And even so, oscar was just 2 conference tourney wins away from being in the big dance.

https://youtu.be/zhj5MAtvmpk?t=18m47s

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 12, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »
the message I received as a fan is we'd rather lose the oscar way than win the Frank way.

Currie's order of preference in my mind:

1. Win weber way
2. Win Frank way
3. Lose weber way
4. Lose frank way

I think Currie would rather win the "right" way, whatever that means to him -- he'd rather win and play by the rules. He thought he could get that with Weber, and I suppose it is still possible. But if/when it doesn't work out he'll find another guy.

Are you saying you don't think we've hit the point where it hasn't worked out?

The Big Train

« Reply #337 on: March 12, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »
Win still can only win 4 big 12 games and 3 and etc.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 12, 2016, 07:11:26 PM »
oscar has actually performed a little bit better than I expected him to.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2016, 07:14:47 PM »
the message I received as a fan is we'd rather lose the oscar way than win the Frank way.

1. Win weber way
2. Win Frank way
3. Lose weber way
4. Lose frank way

I think Currie would rather win the "right" way, whatever that means to him -- he'd rather win and play by the rules. He thought he could get that with Weber, and I suppose it is still possible. But if/when it doesn't work out he'll find another guy.

Are you saying you don't think we've hit the point where it hasn't worked out?

what cc is saying is that bw will maybe/probably be fired next year if the team doesn't make the ncaa tourney. that seems reasonable given the circumstances. the circumstances are obviously ridiculous though given that we hired a loser and expected him to win and then when he didn't, we allowed him to kick half the team off and completely start over again but it is what it is, etc.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 12, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »
I mean firing basketball coaches pre 1970 wasn't really a thing but i get what you are saying.
Yeah, we've really only fired two

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 12, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »

Hiring the failure from Illinois is what ksu basketball aspired be.

Hiring the success at Illinois is what ku basketball decided to do.

The message is pretty clear.

THIS!

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 12, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »
Watching Brad's Jacks on ESPN2. Can't tell you how livid it makes me that Oscar is patrolling K-State sideline. Also Baker of WSU is a poor man's Walkup.

The Big Train

« Reply #343 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:44 PM »
Brad just knows how to coach. oscar has no rough ridin' clue

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2016, 09:35:25 PM »
Watching Brad's Jacks on ESPN2. Can't tell you how livid it makes me that Oscar is patrolling K-State sideline. Also Baker of WSU is a poor man's Walkup.
Because they are both white? They don't play the same posish

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 12, 2016, 09:43:11 PM »

1. Win weber way
2. Win Frank way
3. Lose weber way
4. Lose frank way

It would be ideal to win the national championship every year without having to pay a coach, but any non-moron would know that it wouldn't work.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 12, 2016, 09:44:01 PM »
Yeah it all about the white. About the same height, muscle bound. Walkup seems to play every position. Brings the ball up, hangs in the post as Brad's offensive rotates around him, gets out on the wing.

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 13, 2016, 12:07:00 AM »
Because they are both white? They don't play the same posish

The are similar because they are both good, however  Walkup has a preference for the interior and Baker for the perimeter.

If I was at Wichita State,  I wouldn't take Walkup and sub him in for Baker.  I would sub Walkup in for Wessel (Walkup is much better).
Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 13, 2016, 09:45:54 PM »
The website in question needs to be updated.
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline Cannoncat

• Fan
  • What say we settle this on the runway... Han-Solo?
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 13, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »
What a masterpiece  :peek:
"Round house kick to the butt hole!"-Kstate vs Aggie 53-50, 2011.

"Charlie Weis is the same mistake he ever was"-Gregg Doyel CBS

"Good people deserve good things."-Fatty4ksu

"The heart break kid!"-Winters