Author Topic: Scalia  (Read 56552 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Scalia
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »
Yet Obama is the first I've ever heard proclaim that was his goal, so you'll have to ask him.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2016, 09:39:33 AM »
Yet Obama is the first I've ever heard proclaim that was his goal, so you'll have to ask him.

Yea FDR and the New Deal. Teddy being A complete badass.  They both set out to "fundamentally change America". Hell even Reagan did, he just didn't say it like that.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Scalia
« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2016, 09:41:40 AM »
That's nice Chuck, but the new deal for example was a direct response to a cataclysmic serious of economic events and one method of trying to correct or improve a specific domestic situation impacting nearly the entirety of the US population. 

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2016, 09:47:44 AM »
That's nice Chuck, but the new deal for example was a direct response to a cataclysmic serious of economic events.

Obama took over during the greatest economic threat since the Great Depression. And what about Teddy?  :dunno:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 15, 2016, 09:49:14 AM »
That's merely responses to specific domestic issues that are everyday issues that all Presidents have to address, you're flailing.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
 :shakesfist:
That's merely responses to specific domestic issues that are everyday issues that all Presidents have to address, you're flailing.

i got a youre flailing from Dax!!! I feel like a real Pit'r for the first time!  :Woohoo:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:59:45 AM by chuckjames »

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2016, 09:56:01 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »
The last two appointees are irrelevant to this discussion of the future

We already know who is on his short list

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2016, 09:57:31 AM »
Great, thanks MIR.  :bigbigthumbsup

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2016, 10:02:42 AM »
If I'm a conservative, I'm looking at worst case scenario.

Would I rather have a SCJ nominated by Obama, or by Bernie Sanders?

I've been critical of Obama but I don't think there would be a significant difference in the ideology of the justice they would nominate.

In the end, the pool of appointable justices is low. However, Sanders is more liberal and ballsy, and may be more willing to push the envelope.

It's clear that the strategy to hold out is a Hail Mary, because I've watched several debates, and none of the conservative nominees have a shot at a general election.  A liberal justice is getting named now or 400 days from now. If I'm hedging my bets, I'm pushing for Obama to go now because he's more likely to go for a more moderate voice in an election year.

At least that's my opinion. Could be wrong.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »
I have never heard of this or any other person named bork but I am aware of bork as a euphemism for "make sex to". Is this Mr Bork the origin for that term?

If you're under 40, you've never heard of Robert Bork. If you're over 40 you haven't thought of Robert Bork in 30 years. His name, well kinda, was brought up out of context in the thread because FSD saw it mentioned on Twitter.

Bork is relevant because it completely dispels the rhetoric that preemptive efforts to block an appointee are "unprecedented".

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
Obama should nominate someone and if it's a normal person who isn't trying to "fundamentally change America" they should be approved. 

But with Obama, that's doubtful.

I think the test should be whether the person is qualified. Kagan was, Sotomayor was not. He's one for two. 

I agree with Pan, if Obama puts up a reasonably qualified non-psychopath the pubs should confirm. It's not worth the risk. If Obama appoints someone unqualified, they should drag ass and see how the general is going. If it looks R, deny confirmation when it's too late to make a second appointment

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2016, 10:15:24 AM »
I have never heard of this or any other person named bork but I am aware of bork as a euphemism for "make sex to". Is this Mr Bork the origin for that term?

If you're under 40, you've never heard of Robert Bork. If you're over 40 you haven't thought of Robert Bork in 30 years. His name, well kinda, was brought up out of context in the thread because FSD saw it mentioned on Twitter.

Bork is relevant because it completely dispels the rhetoric that preemptive efforts to block an appointee are "unprecedented".

He wasn't relevant when you attempted to bring him up because I wasn't making an argument otherwise, we were talking about length of confirmation.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2016, 10:23:51 AM »

He wasn't relevant when you attempted to bring him up because I wasn't making an argument otherwise, we were talking about length of confirmation.

1. You were wrong about Clarence Thomas having the longest confirmation - but that point actually is irrelevant
2. The entire topic is about blocking a nomination, not the length of time to confirm. Nobody is talking about duration of confirmation. I know you are trying to save face and revise the intent behind you're post, but that's nonsensical and pretty pathetic.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2016, 10:36:13 AM »
Wait, who took the longest to be confirmed?

Also I don't give a damn what you think the thread is about but when you dropped "Ronald Bork" and "stupid eff" in the same post it was definitely in response to the length of a confirmation. Are you Ted Cruz?

Clarence Thomas had the longest confirmation process at 112 days, and we all know why it took that long. Gross political games will be the only thing stopping an Obama appointee from getting approved.

Google Ronald Bork you stupid eff

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
I asked the question incorrectly earlier. Has anybody read anything regarding the length of time for a president to nominate a Supreme Court justice? I haven't seen that anywhere. Just wondering if we should expect a nomination in Feb or July? (I am guessing somewhere in between.)

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2016, 10:45:51 AM »
I asked the question incorrectly earlier. Has anybody read anything regarding the length of time for a president to nominate a Supreme Court justice? I haven't seen that anywhere. Just wondering if we should expect a nomination in Feb or July? (I am guessing somewhere in between.)

Something linked above said Obama has taken about a month in the past. Don't forget it's a leap year.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2016, 10:48:27 AM »
He's not looking for an ordinary nominee, though. He'll want to take his time in order to find the most liberal as eff people he can.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »

Sonia Sotomayor was nominated 27 days after David Souter announced his retirement. Elena Kagan was nominated 12 days after John Paul Stevens announced his retirement.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »

Likely a week or two
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:15:26 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:20 AM »
Thanks all!

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:42 AM »

Likely a week or two

What is stopping Obama from making a recess appointment? Since the recess is 10 days my understanding is he could despite the Francisco ruling. 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2016, 11:07:07 AM »
Because it's not worth it
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite