Author Topic: Hamilton OFFICIAL MUSICAL THEATER THREAD  (Read 18123 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton OFFICIAL MUSICAL THEATER THREAD
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »
Have been listening to Hamilton a lot lately and wow it stands the test of three years time really well
I still hate Hamilton. But, I also like rap.
It would be really off-brand if you liked Hamilton
Did you see where I loved the Spiderman cartoon?

Also the music from Hamilton is catchy it's just the broadwayification of it is what makes it unbearable

Completely agree
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2019, 12:31:20 PM »
I've fallen behind on my reviews but I want to talk about Dear Evan Hanson. It was a very good musical. The writing is good, the music is excellent, but I'll never watch this again. It was a damming indictment of our society, how amazingly self-absorbed we've become. The thing is, I don't think whomever wrote this musical did it in mind of this being a cautionary tale. It almost felt to me that the abhorrent behavior, of literally every single character in the show, is excused. It attempts to be a dramedy but I didn't laugh one single time because I was uncomfortable from start to finish. It is the polar opposite of Wicked, which was sugary sweet with zero substance. Being the father of two tweens, and someone who works around kids, I'm already very angry about how we, as a society, have chosen to raise our kids. This was the manifestation of every awful thought I've ever had about Gen X'ers and millennials as parents.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »
Sounds like our guy MIR is "on the outside, always looking in" wondering if he'll "ever be more than [he's] always been."

Switching gears--I'm willing to engage in a good old fashioned Jean Valjean-Off if there are any Alfie Bowe-heads out there that want to get embarrassed in front of their message board friends.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
 :peek:  :gocho:

I am taking the fam to London/Paris on a 2 week trip when school is out, and we are going to hit a couple shows in London.  We are going to probably try and see the new Harry Potter (kids, man), and then see Les Mis the night before we depart for Paris on the second leg of the trip...get the juices flowing, ya know?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
:peek:  :gocho:

I am taking the fam to London/Paris on a 2 week trip when school is out, and we are going to hit a couple shows in London.  We are going to probably try and see the new Harry Potter (kids, man), and then see Les Mis the night before we depart for Paris on the second leg of the trip...get the juices flowing, ya know?

are you going to the harry potter studio? it's worth it imo

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2021, 07:08:32 AM »
Saw Newsies at Theatre in the Park last night - it was unbelievably good.  I was shocked at how good or a production it was.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2021, 10:46:30 AM »
Haven't caught Newsies yet. I haven't been to a show since January 2020

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2021, 06:44:15 PM »
The over the top accents kill it for me, but songs are good and story is decent.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2021, 06:57:40 PM »
The over the top accents kill it for me, but songs are good and story is decent.
the dancing, though.  the dancing!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2021, 07:23:12 PM »
You know what, I didn’t realize how little I actually notice dancing even though it’s such an integral part of musicals.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »
You know what, I didn’t realize how little I actually notice dancing even though it’s such an integral part of musicals.

All musicals have choreography, most don't have dancing.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2021, 08:08:02 PM »
Anyway, for a “community theater” production, I was blown away that there were 20 some odd <25 year old men who could tap dance their balls off and do backflips and sing and stuff.

It’s a really fun show to boot.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2021, 10:23:03 PM »

All musicals have choreography, most don't have dancing.
Well see that’s what I’m saying. I don’t even notice that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2022, 07:07:08 AM »
I have now been to THREE musicals since moving to New York:

Company: Patti Lupone was amazing, "not getting married" was amazing, sets were great, lead and story were meh

Beetlejuice: Very funny but also very sweet and the set was great even if a few of the songs were boring.

Little shop of horrors: technically off-broadway and my least favorite. Like the sound mix was off! I'm paying $160 a ticket and I can't hear the vocals over the band???? Also the acting was bad/campy and not much landed with me. Also the plant puppet wasn't quite as impressive after seeing Beetlejuice

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2022, 07:17:56 AM »
Also my family went to Chicago without me and said Pamela Anderson was really good! They said she clearly couldn't sing but made up for it in charisma

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2022, 11:19:53 AM »
160 for Little Shop of Horrors? Jesus Christ.

Good to hear Patti Lupone is still doing the damn thing. Seeing actors I know on stage is definitely the best part of seeing shows in NYC. Not sure if it makes up for the prices, especially compared to prices of shows in London, but still cool nonetheless.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2022, 12:45:36 PM »

It was a small theater on memorial day weekend and the lead was in the Pitch Perfect movies. Are London shows cheaper or more expensive?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2022, 05:02:32 PM »

It was a small theater on memorial day weekend and the lead was in the Pitch Perfect movies. Are London shows cheaper or more expensive?

Significantly cheaper. Like 30-40 pounds, and the theatres there are tiny and old. I'm definitely max sized for their seats. Whenever I go to shows in NYC, London, or Vegas I always use TKTS or an equivalent service.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2022, 05:10:47 PM »

Significantly cheaper. Like 30-40 pounds, and the theatres there are tiny and old. I'm definitely max sized for their seats. Whenever I go to shows in NYC, London, or Vegas I always use TKTS or an equivalent service.

Looking at TKTS for both cities, Phantom is the only show that had tickets available in both places, bear in mind it's after 10:00 there right now so their live listings are scarce, but they had phantom tickets in London starting at 25 pounds. The only phantom tickets in nyc on TKTS are currently running $83.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 05:26:34 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2022, 05:24:46 PM »
thanks Biden

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2022, 07:27:25 AM »
I really like LSoH.  Never seen it live though so who knows.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 12, 2022, 08:18:46 PM »
I have now been to THREE musicals since moving to New York:

Company: Patti Lupone was amazing, "not getting married" was amazing, sets were great, lead and story were meh

Won a Tony tonight!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2022, 08:25:05 PM »
I'm thrilled for her but I'd also like to point out that The Tony's are the most pretentious, niche awards ever. I love musical theatre but never watch. You have to be completely in to current Broadway shows for it to make any sense. Unlike the academy awards and the emmys 99.99999% of Americans have seen none of these shows even fewer have seen a significant amount of them. There is a whole ass awards show for a small sector of Manhattanites and mid town Londoners.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2022, 09:00:57 PM »
I think of the Tony's like less of an award show and more of like a James Beard award. I feel like the designation is a fair indication of quality, even though no one really follows or cares about the process leading up to it.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2022, 03:45:22 PM »
i have been absolutely murdering the Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack lately after it exploded into my awareness earlier this year. cannot get enough. also watched the movie version on HBO :love: haven't had a chance to see the live musical tho.