Author Topic: It's Leavitt  (Read 73018 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: It's Leavitt
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »
I don't care what he did at USF.  However, I don't see John "I am risk management" Currie hiring him.  He might have had s chance with Currie if he got fired for hitting the kid, but I don't think John will be able to get past the cover-up attempt and telling playing/coaches to lie to cover up.

do you think he's just adding KSU HC gig to his contract because he was an assistant coach there 20 years ago?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »
I'm cool gambling like a madman in basketball hires because of the ability to turn something terrible around quickly. Football is harder. That makes me more ok with meh hires like leavitt. I'm also assuming that our good assistants stay and the super old or bad ones are dealt with appropriately. Still don't think we would hire him though but who knows.
Yeah.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2016, 08:01:53 PM »
I don't care what he did at USF.  However, I don't see John "I am risk management" Currie hiring him.  He might have had s chance with Currie if he got fired for hitting the kid, but I don't think John will be able to get past the cover-up attempt and telling playing/coaches to lie to cover up.

do you think he's just adding KSU HC gig to his contract because he was an assistant coach there 20 years ago?

I think he added it for the 10% chance Currie is gone this time next year just to be safe because he could.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2016, 08:10:19 PM »
I am curious....Who do you guys think Currie will hire?  Set aside who you want, and think about what you believe will happen.
I could see him hiring someone like Derek Mason

That's a great one. I've posted a list more than once. He's going to hire someone with experience, preferably P5, who will not embarrass the athletic department. Mason is perfect because Currie can essentially do to Vandy like he did to TCU when he got Mittie. He got a coach who was recognized as a very good coach at an inferior P5 program and threw cash, facilities, and a give a crap fanbase in their face. Despite some of our own not understanding how much money we have, we can absolutely out spend  a fair amount of P5 schools on salaries. I think there are three of these guys who currently fit this mold:
Derek Mason
Mike MacIntire
and unfortunately Tracy Claeys

If he can't get one of those guys he then goes to the accomplished group of 5 guy
PJ
Scott Satterfield
Brian Harsin
Craig Bohl
Scott Frost
Jeff Monken
Paul Petrino
etc.
If this takes a couple of years I'd look out for Luke Fickel and Mike Norvell

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
I am curious....Who do you guys think Currie will hire?  Set aside who you want, and think about what you believe will happen.

That's a great one. I've posted a list more than once. He's going to hire someone with experience, preferably P5, who will not embarrass the athletic department. Mason is perfect because Currie can essentially do to Vandy like he did to TCU when he got Mittie. He got a coach who was recognized as a very good coach at an inferior P5 program and threw cash, facilities, and a give a crap fanbase in their face. Despite some of our own not understanding how much money we have, we can absolutely out spend  a fair amount of P5 schools on salaries. I think there are three of these guys who currently fit this mold:
Derek Mason
Mike MacIntire

If he can't get one of those guys he then goes to the accomplished group of 5 guy
PJ
Scott Satterfield
Brian Harsin
Craig Bohl
Scott Frost
Jeff Monken
Paul Petrino
etc.
Dave Clawson and Pat Fitzgerald

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2016, 08:13:51 PM »
what are your thoughts on the guys on that list MIR?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »
MIR, do you think fleck would come here and what would we be required to pay him?

I do. I thought it was a lock with Kill here, but he's gone now so whatever. I think it will take 2.5-3.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2016, 08:16:12 PM »
personally I'm not going to (hoping) put john currie's crap weber hire into the equation with this hire. It's the one shitty actual data point I have, I realize that, but I'm giving him a lot of benefit of the doubt.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
MIR, do you think fleck would come here and what would we be required to pay him?

I do. I thought it was a lock with Kill here, but he's gone now so whatever. I think it will take 2.5-3.

we'll absolutely pay that. I'd definitely take if he'd come for that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »
rough ridin' kingsburry makes over 3. we'd pay fleck that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2016, 08:22:01 PM »

Derek Mason
Mike MacIntire

PJ
Scott Satterfield
Brian Harsin
Craig Bohl
Scott Frost
Jeff Monken
Paul Petrino
etc.
Dave Clawson and Pat Fitzgerald
Clawson is a good one, I don't think Fitzgerald is leaving at this point, he's seemingly had several opportunities. Also he makes like no money there at all.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2016, 08:22:41 PM »
Has a school ever paid a good coach too much?  Like, the good coach comes in and is as successful as anyone could hope but the success doesn't produce enough revenue or whatever to justify his salary?  Is that even possible?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2016, 08:23:58 PM »
Has a school ever paid a good coach too much?  Like, the good coach comes in and is as successful as anyone could hope but the success doesn't produce enough revenue or whatever to justify his salary?  Is that even possible?

no, that is not possible.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2016, 08:26:18 PM »

no, that is not possible.

Good, that should make this a lot easier.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2016, 08:26:29 PM »
I don't know if saben or meyer make $10 million a year but if they don't they should. I actually would be interested in the ceiling for either. $20? $30? schools worry a lot about what the other schools are doing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »

Whipping it out
Mason, I think, maybe, :dunno:
MacIntire
PJ
Yeah, okay
Everyone else
GTFOOHWTS
Claeys
Monken

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2016, 08:30:47 PM »
lol at not counting the Weber hire against him, he Lumberg'd the eff out of Frank from the moment he got to mhk and his answer was a guy that got fired for sucking out loud days before Frank left.

I hope Myers has enough sense to do what Bill wants and not what the intersection of the Peter Principle and consultant cronyism wants.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2016, 08:31:19 PM »
I don't know if saben or meyer make $10 million a year but if they don't they should. I actually would be interested in the ceiling for either. $20? $30? schools worry a lot about what the other schools are doing.

Def should've skimped a bit on the new vanier or whatever and routed $30m of donor money to hiring one of them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2016, 08:37:06 PM »

Whipping it out
Mason, I think, maybe, :dunno:
MacIntire
PJ
Yeah, okay
Everyone else
GTFOOHWTS
Claeys
Monken

I don't think mason or mac are realistic and even if they were I don't know if they are good. similar to leavitt. but leavitt we can for sure have. PJ has more upside but I think he wants more than KSU. and I'm not someone who needs a lifer at KSU. if we can get 2 or 3 great years out of an up and comer I'm definitely for it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »

Def should've skimped a bit on the new vanier or whatever and routed $30m of donor money to hiring one of them.

Yes

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2016, 08:48:34 PM »
"And as we conduct the traditional presentation of the purple borck brothers blazer, let's all give a big kstate family welcome to the new carl & mary ice head coach of football, nick saban!"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »
 :lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »
lol at not counting the Weber hire against him, he Lumberg'd the eff out of Frank from the moment he got to mhk and his answer was a guy that got fired for sucking out loud days before Frank left.

I hope Myers has enough sense to do what Bill wants and not what the intersection of the Peter Principle and consultant cronyism wants.

I don't want to do what Bill wants when it comes to hiring a football coach.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2016, 09:05:59 PM »

I don't want to do what Bill wants when it comes to hiring a football coach.

I don't want to do it assuming it's hire sean and just do what sean wants. I don't know for sure if Bill has other options in mind though. I'm fairly confident he doesn't but want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2016, 09:07:06 PM »
Who knows more about coaching at KSU than Bill?