Author Topic: Official Black Lives Matter Thread  (Read 24990 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Black Lives Matter Thread
« Reply #275 on: September 22, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »
What research would one need to do about the "trained marxists" admission that would quell any concerns an otherwise well-meaning person would have about the Black Lives Matter org?  I've done a little research and, as i recall, it seemed pretty unapologetic -- also explains all the cringe "comrade" verbiage they use/used.  I think it's valid to be concerned that K-State may be tacitly supporting an organization that is run by self-described "trained marxists" -- even if I don't think that's what K-State meant or is actually doing.

what does "trained Marxist" mean to you? How have the organizers' actions and/or platforms shown you that they are "trained Marxists" as you define it?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Official Black Lives Matter Thread
« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »
I’m struggling to understand why it would be objectionable no matter what they meant by BLM. I don’t think the fans that disapprove necessarily have to be racist, but even if they’re not, I don’t think they’re any better than racists.

The “shut up and entertain me” attitude of fans is gross 100% of the time. And more broadly the “not the right place for this discussion” has been a rallying cry for racists since forever.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2020, 12:47:46 PM »
What research would one need to do about the "trained marxists" admission that would quell any concerns an otherwise well-meaning person would have about the Black Lives Matter org?  I've done a little research and, as i recall, it seemed pretty unapologetic -- also explains all the cringe "comrade" verbiage they use/used.  I think it's valid to be concerned that K-State may be tacitly supporting an organization that is run by self-described "trained marxists" -- even if I don't think that's what K-State meant or is actually doing.

what does "trained Marxist" mean to you? How have the organizers' actions and/or platforms shown you that they are "trained Marxists" as you define it?
i think the obvious meaning is that the professed leaders/founders believe in the tenets of marxism and consider themselves trained in pursuing marx's goals.

i haven't been following the movement very closely, so i don't know the answer to your second question.  but i think it's reasonable to be suspicious of an organization that was founded by people who profess to be marxists, just as i would be if they professed to be nazis -- regardless of whether i was aware of any actions on their part enacting their professed beliefs.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2020, 12:49:14 PM »
I’m struggling to understand why it would be objectionable no matter what they meant by BLM. I don’t think the fans that disapprove necessarily have to be racist, but even if they’re not, I don’t think they’re any better than racists.

The “shut up and entertain me” attitude of fans is gross 100% of the time. And more broadly the “not the right place for this discussion” has been a rallying cry for racists since forever.

Yeah the best "not racist" argument I can come up with is "any political message shouldn't be part of sports/uniforms/teams with different opinions" and really that just boils down to treating players as inhuman entertainment machines that shouldn't have opinions which is just as gross.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2020, 12:56:05 PM »

Yeah the best "not racist" argument I can come up with is "any political message shouldn't be part of sports/uniforms/teams with different opinions" and really that just boils down to treating players as inhuman entertainment machines that shouldn't have opinions which is just as gross.
IMO, it's particularly gross when you have a system in place to artificially limit their earnings
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:04:39 PM by ChiCat »

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2020, 12:57:21 PM »

i think the obvious meaning is that the professed leaders/founders believe in the tenets of marxism and consider themselves trained in pursuing marx's goals.

i haven't been following the movement very closely, so i don't know the answer to your second question.  but i think it's reasonable to be suspicious of an organization that was founded by people who profess to be marxists, just as i would be if they professed to be nazis -- regardless of whether i was aware of any actions on their part enacting their professed beliefs.

We should be suspicious of NASA and hell the Constitution then, those nazis and slave holders. SMDH
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »
also most of our racist fans are replying to that tweet mad at gene because he let them have "BLM" on the jersey in the first place. :frown:

Are all KSU fans who don't back the BLM movement 100% racist?
Yes. Also anyone who has ever said All Lives Matter as a qualifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmao.  I will defer to DQ12's response on the matter because he has done a nice job of expressing the view of how I think some people look at things.  There is a difference between BLM and BLM(org) and that's where confusion lies with people.  Do I believe BLM?  Of course I do.   Do I think BLM(org) is the best way to go about getting the change needed or has handled things in the best way?  Probs not. 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »

We should be suspicious of NASA and hell the Constitution then, those nazis and slave holders. SMDH
i think if you were aware that nasa had a bunch of nazis in it then it's completely reasonable to be suspicious.  don't you?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 22, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
The issue boils down to the messaging of god forbid we treat certain people based on race with respect getting bogged down with certain inclinations of people who started the idea, without any sort of mass BLM underground network, just like "antifa"

It's a pure scare tactic, and one that if you ask the myriad of people who live around me with black hearts, and BLM signs in their yards that "DID YOU KNOW YOU ARE ACTUALLY SUPPORTING MARXISTS!?" while sitting in their PV and Leawood mansions, it's a chuckle at the ridiculousness of what is trying to be done. It's all there to once again subjugate the god forbid treating certain people based on race with respect tenement what people really want out of this. It becomes muddled because racists and grifters made it muddled.

It's racist at worst, and dishonest at best trying to shout it down. Ask yourself honestly, if the idea of "black lives matter" came divorced of any origin stories, hell let's say a WASPy ass person started, would it change how you feel about the true message it's trying to say? If it doesn't, there you go.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »

i think if you were aware that nasa had a bunch of nazis in it then it's completely reasonable to be suspicious.  don't you?

I would be suspicious as to why they got their asses whipped by marxists for the better half a decade, why else bring em back, master race my ass

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 22, 2020, 01:25:44 PM »

I think this does a nice job highlighting why objections to the patches are such a stretch

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2020, 01:53:42 PM »
I usually know Fox News Brain when I see it. DQ may not have it, but may have something else.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2020, 01:56:23 PM »

I think this does a nice job highlighting why objections to the patches are such a stretch

jmo, I think the marxism thing coupled with the term structural or systematic racism are vague/unfamiliar/not commonly defined concepts that people struggle with.

I totally agree.

Pros for the patches: Clear positive message that players and coaches support, strong response to the bad look with that racist kid tweeting as far as what the football team can do
Cons: That message also has ties to an organization I don't fully understand who apparently had some founders that are trained marxists, and I don't know exactly what that means but it's bad

if the cons outweigh the pros? you're really reaching. Just looking for an excuse to not say "Black Lives Matter"

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 22, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »
We also had a lot of people on twitter bitching about the school even making a statement about the racist tweets from the wannabe Nazi student, iirc. I truly believe that most of the discomfort comes from people who don't believe that black lives matter.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 22, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »
if nothing else this thread has brought out my ignorance on the extreme mental gymnastics required to formulate an anti-black lives matter argument. I always assumed it was just racists. now I know it's also racists who don't like being called racists.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2020, 02:24:37 PM »
Anyway, like I said, I don't care about the patch.  I think it's cool that K-State came out in big support of the message and let the players know the AD is behind them.  I think it's unfortunate (though wholly predictable, GENE) that the patches rubbed people the wrong way and an already hurting AD is hurting however much more now.  I think it's understandable that people (K-Staters in particular), in good faith, get confused by the BLM stuff, and I also agree that some people feign confusion to cover or rationalize their own racist opposition to the broader movement.  I think a lot of this would be solved if the message was slightly distinct from the politically-charged name of the org.

I appreciate Rusty and the others for having the convo.  Go cats.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2020, 02:26:23 PM »
I usually know Fox News Brain when I see it. DQ may not have it, but may have something else.
I think it's called "trying to give some people in my community the benefit of the doubt before I condemn them as racists"

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »
We've come up with a lot of maga grift ideas here, but we could also solve this whole problem and maybe make some money by registering a BLM-gE group that has no message other than that black lives indeed matter.  Our BLM org could be the one that the patch refers to, at least as to people who insist that it must be the acronym of an org and not of a sentence.  And we could sell merch - shirts with Willie pounding a stone with Marx carved in it?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
Athletes of the Kansas state university, unite!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 22, 2020, 02:42:56 PM »
I doubt the patches will hurt us financially in a meaningful way. That was just Gene being sloppy and dumb.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 22, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »
I think it's called "trying to give some people in my community the benefit of the doubt before I condemn them as racists"

I came from that community and have done that in the past, too. It's why I'm now comfortable condemning it as racist. I feel like I've seen both sides to the extent that I can and it's easy to choose between them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 22, 2020, 03:01:12 PM »
We've come up with a lot of maga grift ideas here, but we could also solve this whole problem and maybe make some money by registering a BLM-gE group that has no message other than that black lives indeed matter.  Our BLM org could be the one that the patch refers to, at least as to people who insist that it must be the acronym of an org and not of a sentence.  And we could sell merch - shirts with Willie pounding a stone with Marx carved in it?

BLM but for the actual irl BLM and not the make believe boogie man. seems to solve this entire thing.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2020, 03:02:36 PM »

I came from that community and have done that in the past, too. It's why I'm now comfortable condemning it as racist. I feel like I've seen both sides to the extent that I can and it's easy to choose between them.

I want the community to be less racist. To DQ's point, I think Gene and KSU could have used the opportunity to educate our fans on what "Black Lives Matter" means to the players and make people realize they are racist if they are against the patch rather than straight up condemning them like we are or agreeing that the three letter are "controversial" so we'll probably end it like Gene did..

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 22, 2020, 03:10:32 PM »

BLM but for the actual irl BLM and not the make believe boogie man. seems to solve this entire thing.

BlackLivesMatter.goEMAW.com

"About us" FAQ

Q: "What does 'Black Lives Matter' even mean?"
A: It means "Black Lives Matter"

Q: "Don't All Lives Matter as well"?
A: Yes

Q: "Isn't 'Black Lives Matter' Marxist"?
A: No

Q: "Do you guys want to pull apart my nuclear family?"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 22, 2020, 03:17:57 PM »

BlackLivesMatter.goEMAW.com

"About us" FAQ

Q: "What does 'Black Lives Matter' even mean?"
A: It means "Black Lives Matter"

Q: "Don't All Lives Matter as well"?
A: Yes

Q: "Isn't 'Black Lives Matter' Marxist"?

Q: "Do you guys want to pull apart my nuclear family?"

Q: "Can I now be against the patch and not be a racist?"
A: You already couldn't but now we've jumped through the extra hoops to address your bad faith arguments.