Author Topic: Official Black Lives Matter Thread  (Read 24989 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Black Lives Matter Thread
« Reply #325 on: September 23, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »
FWIW, I think the "trained marxists" bit only came to light relatively recently (though the speech/interview was recorded 4 or 5 years ago).

You're right though, google search trends is cool.  What was the atrocity that lead to the spikes in summer/fall of '16?

Alton Sterling and Philando Castille

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 23, 2020, 09:57:02 AM »
FWIW, I think the "trained marxists" bit only came to light relatively recently (though the speech/interview was recorded 4 or 5 years ago).

You're right though, google search trends is cool.  What was the atrocity that lead to the spikes in summer/fall of '16?

God -- and I don't even remember those. Horrible.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 23, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »

God -- and I don't even remember those. Horrible.

Castille was the one who had a legal firearm and had his girlfriend live stream the aftermath on facebook and Sterling was shot while pinned down by two officers. Clips of both are here!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:07:53 AM by michigancat »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 23, 2020, 10:08:41 AM »
is there a scenario where you can not agree with everything with black lives matter the organization but also believe that lives lives do matter and not be labeled a racist?

Are you familiar with BlackLivesMatter.goEMAW.com?

Quote from: wyatt
That's BlackLivesMatter.goEMAW.com!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 23, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »
Y'all probably won't, but if you want to be helpful, I think you should also respectfully email Gene with your issues about the public stance he took in this interview. I can't be a lone voice here and we can't assume that others will handle it. We're damn sure the racists didn't take for granted that they would be heard. If all of your enlightenment and allyship are confined to this thread you don't have the right to wag your finger at Dlew or anyone else, you're just as functionally useless as those who silently nod at the notion that black lives matter can be dismissed because of Karl Marx.

I sent an email!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 23, 2020, 02:03:28 PM »
I want the community to be less racist. To DQ's point, I think Gene and KSU could have used the opportunity to educate our fans on what "Black Lives Matter" means to the players and make people realize they are racist if they are against the patch

gene responded to my email. He says he sends this video (or other videos?) to whiners all the time! It was hard to find and I kinda wanted to tell him that he shouldn't have to send it personally.

https://twitter.com/KStateFB/status/1304087486818390019

He also said there would be no patch next home game because we're honoring the Big Red 1.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 23, 2020, 02:12:30 PM »
I heard the patch was a one-game deal to begin with. That would have been a great vid to play on the jumbos vs Ark State.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 23, 2020, 02:14:35 PM »
That would have been a great vid to play on the jumbos vs Ark State.
they did

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 23, 2020, 02:16:38 PM »
they did

Oh, I don’t remember it from the broadcast. Prob wasn’t aired. They did air the Unity one that was played before the game.

Furthermore, seeing as they played it, anyone who still has/had a problem with it has other issues imo.

Is it prudent to separate oneself from a smaller number extreme elements that latch on, and in a way usurp, a movement for their own cause? Probably, but it shouldn’t be necessary.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:22:08 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 23, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »
they did

yeah according to Gene most people who complained hadn't seen the video (I don't think it was aired). IMO the fact that Gene has to share it personally probably shows KSU social media isn't sharing it enough.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 23, 2020, 02:18:20 PM »
would it be snarky to say "right wrong or indifferent people find the US Military's role as global police force to be controversial?"

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 23, 2020, 02:18:38 PM »
Lol, looking through the replies of people telling him "nuh-uh, BLM is a terrorist/anarchist/marxist organization," I got to this.

https://twitter.com/JadenPMcNeil/status/1304917674963742721

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 23, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »
they did

yeah according to Gene most people who complained hadn't seen the video (I don't think it was aired). IMO the fact that Gene has to share it personally probably shows KSU social media isn't sharing it enough.
I think if Gene is relying on a video that is on social media/played before 8k in the stadium to contextualize the patch then it was strange plan.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 23, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »
they did

I think if Gene is relying on a video that is on social media/played before 8k in the stadium to contextualize the patch then it was strange plan.

agreed although I would probably describe the plan as "bad" rather than "strange". Semantics!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 23, 2020, 02:24:39 PM »
they did

agreed although I would probably describe the plan as "bad" rather than "strange". Semantics!
Bad works too!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »
Lol, looking through the replies of people telling him "nuh-uh, BLM is a terrorist/anarchist/marxist organization," I got to this.

https://twitter.com/JadenPMcNeil/status/1304917674963742721

Jaden is proof that all lives actually don't matter.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 23, 2020, 03:08:18 PM »
I usually know Fox News Brain when I see it. DQ may not have it, but may have something else.
I think it's called "trying to give some people in my community the benefit of the doubt before I condemn them as racists"

Giving people the benefit of the doubt provides shelter for people to say ignorant crap. Sometimes things are non starters, if you are making the choice to tie the phrase black lives matter to some nebulous organization that may or may not believe in things you may or may not understand, that's intentional, especially if you make the choice to offer that opinion to someone else without researching, with an open mind, what it is that you're talking about.

The only two things the racists oppose when it comes to black lives matter is the marxism thing, when you Google the word marxism, this is on the page, you literally don't even have to visit another website "To define Marxism in simple terms, it's a political and economic theory where a society has no classes. Every person within the society works for a common good, and class struggle is theoretically gone." Is that something worth dismissing literally anyone over?
Yeah but the thing is, a lot of people don't need to rely on a 2 sentence definition from Google to know that they oppose it.  Like you said, some things are non-starters.

So who are the people in "your community" that you're giving the benefit of the doubt to?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2020, 03:12:15 PM »
I usually know Fox News Brain when I see it. DQ may not have it, but may have something else.
I think it's called "trying to give some people in my community the benefit of the doubt before I condemn them as racists"

Giving people the benefit of the doubt provides shelter for people to say ignorant crap. Sometimes things are non starters, if you are making the choice to tie the phrase black lives matter to some nebulous organization that may or may not believe in things you may or may not understand, that's intentional, especially if you make the choice to offer that opinion to someone else without researching, with an open mind, what it is that you're talking about.

The only two things the racists oppose when it comes to black lives matter is the marxism thing, when you Google the word marxism, this is on the page, you literally don't even have to visit another website "To define Marxism in simple terms, it's a political and economic theory where a society has no classes. Every person within the society works for a common good, and class struggle is theoretically gone." Is that something worth dismissing literally anyone over?
Yeah but the thing is, a lot of people don't need to rely on a 2 sentence definition from Google to know that they oppose it.  Like you said, some things are non-starters.

So who are the people in "your community" that you're giving the benefit of the doubt to?
k-state fans that disapproved of the patch

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2020, 03:17:32 PM »
is there a scenario where you can not agree with everything with black lives matter the organization but also believe that lives lives do matter and not be labeled a racist?

I'd be interested to know the scenario where one would agree with everything everyone in any organization says or does, that they didn't start. The blurring of a message and an organization dedicated to spreading the message has been a very effective method by racists. The idea that you have to agree with everything an organization does to believe in the larger message is absurd and that standard is exclusively limited to black lives matter.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2020, 03:24:20 PM »

You're not giving the benefit of the doubt to anyone, you're excusing either racism. Benefit of the doubt wasn't intended to be a static state. Any issue you would have with black lives matter that isn't related to race is easily researched. We're not talking about the existence of life on Mars here, if you don't actually have the facts about what you claim is the issue, you don't want those facts, you want what feel like is a pretty package to disguise that you don't feel like black lives matter.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 23, 2020, 03:33:53 PM »

I'd be interested to know the scenario where one would agree with everything everyone in any organization says or does, that they didn't start. The blurring of a message and an organization dedicated to spreading the message has been a very effective method by racists. The idea that you have to agree with everything an organization does to believe in the larger message is absurd and that standard is exclusively limited to black lives matter.
So would you rather donate to the NAACP or Black Lives Matter?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2020, 03:35:21 PM »

You're not giving the benefit of the doubt to anyone, you're excusing either racism. Benefit of the doubt wasn't intended to be a static state. Any issue you would have with black lives matter that isn't related to race is easily researched. We're not talking about the existence of life on Mars here, if you don't actually have the facts about what you claim is the issue, you don't want those facts, you want what feel like is a pretty package to disguise that you don't feel like black lives matter.
I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Obviously there's some percentage of people (and k-state people) that don't really think black lives matter and use the marxist/nuclear family stuff as a pretext to cover up their own racism.  I don't know what that percentage is, but I'm not here to defend them.  Those people deserve shame.

My point is that there is valid, non-race-related reason to oppose the phrase "Back Lives Matter" because that can refer to an organization that people don't like because (for example) the founders of that organization referred to themselves as "trained marxists."  You can excuse or discount that marxist identity if you want, but there's a significant portion of the country that are, for whatever reason, opposed to people who refer to themselves as "trained marxists" and are suspicious of any social organization that self-proclaimed trained marxists start.  Those same people can agree that black lives do matter, and oppose the disproportionate violence that black americans face at the hand of the state.  I don't think the people in that camp are necessarily racist.

Maybe you don't think that camp actually exists, or you don't care about the distinction, but I think it does, and I'm hesitant to cast them all under the "racist" umbrella.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 23, 2020, 03:38:48 PM »

So would you rather donate to the NAACP or Black Lives Matter?

Neither organization spends their money in a manner in which I like to donate. I don't understand the relevance of the question though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 23, 2020, 03:41:46 PM »
One of the most interesting things about the search trends is that "All lives matter" searches went down just as "black lives matter marxist" went up. Like almost a 1 for 1 replacement

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 23, 2020, 03:48:48 PM »
just took a while for the "ha, gotcha!" talking points to go out