Author Topic: STAR WARS EPISODE VII THREAD WITH SPOILERS  (Read 11506 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS EPISODE VII THREAD WITH SPOILERS
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
kylo ren sucks.

his reveal as leia/han's son was weak. they should have had this reveal on the bridge before he kills han.

he takes off his mask and is no longer intimidating to the audience after that. leave the mystery for the end of the movie, at least.

temper tantrums? gmafb. darth vader went around choking people left and right for screwing up and this dude just bashes stuff around him.

disney ruined the villain in this movie. loved most of everything but kylo ren is sucky.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
3PO mumped up Han and Leia's reunion which is bullshit.

and why the eff is that big baby, Chewey, walking right past his best friends widow so that she can run to a character she has no previous relationship with to grieve with?

Those are my two main gripes. Also, yes, that angsty teenager is a shitty villain who doesn't deserve to have been named after Obi Wan.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2015, 11:38:13 AM »
it was still better than any of those rough ridin' prequels.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »
I like ren because of everything you just said. He is trying so hard to be someone that he isn't, and it's great

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »
Pretty disappointed in this movie.  It was formulaic and overly sentimental.  Spent way too much time appeasing the Star Wars dorks that wanted to see the old band get back together.  Overall, better than the last three, but a C.

Stark contrast to the absolute brilliance of Mad Max Fury Road.  That's how it's done.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
Why wouldn't they connect to the old movies? Wasn't that the point of a continuation of the series?

I mean, Fury Road was a completely new movie unconnected to the old Mad Max.

I agree with OK, the internal struggle for Ren was good.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
Why wouldn't they connect to the old movies? Wasn't that the point of a continuation of the series?

I mean, Fury Road was a completely new movie unconnected to the old Mad Max.

I agree with OK, the internal struggle for Ren was good.

that struggle had better fully develop in the coming films. Otherwise, he's just a shithead teenager, mad at his dad and uncle for no good reason.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
they had to bridge a new hope with the force awakens, it kind of bugged me too b/c it was all too obvious but it had to be done
i expect the next 2 will be forward looking

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »
My big complaint is that there wasn't really anything memorable or unique. 

It's like, "Hey, we know the Death Star worked, so this time let's just make a bigger one that shoots a laser and everybody likes the bridge scene at the end where a main character dies so let's do that one in this one too".
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »
kylo ren sucks.

his reveal as leia/han's son was weak. they should have had this reveal on the bridge before he kills han.

he takes off his mask and is no longer intimidating to the audience after that. leave the mystery for the end of the movie, at least.

temper tantrums? gmafb. darth vader went around choking people left and right for screwing up and this dude just bashes stuff around him.

disney ruined the villain in this movie. loved most of everything but kylo ren is sucky.

I liked him.  I think tormented/emo/bipolar dark Jedi is an interesting Jedi.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
I'm excited to learn about what happened with Luke training Ren.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2015, 02:31:33 PM »
I'm excited to learn about what happened with Luke training Ren.

He probably tried to make him lift an x-wing with his mind and Ren thought it was too tough. Pussification of the Jedi, amirite?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2015, 03:02:15 PM »
Driver was phenomenal, his voice was great and the mask off time showed his conflict, he was nearly in tears every time it was off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2015, 04:24:58 PM »
Driver was phenomenal, his voice was great and the mask off time showed his conflict, he was nearly in tears every time it was off

The banging on his blaster shot wound and bleeding when he was fighting Finn was awesome.  That really showed a guy who was trying to prove how tough he was, but he didn't really believe it.

I think what was really great, intended or not, was that they played Kylo Ren up to be this advanced dark Jedi, but he's really not that far along.  The mask was done to cover up for his lack of training and internal emotional conflict.

I assume Snoke didn't want to go full Dark Jedi with him until he bought in and killed his dad.  Now, he'll probably get trained up.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2015, 05:25:55 PM »
Yes, he had to kill his dad to prove himself to snoke.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »
How cool was it when rey found the light saber?. I cannot wait for the next

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2015, 09:19:10 PM »

The banging on his blaster shot wound and bleeding when he was fighting Finn was awesome.  That really showed a guy who was trying to prove how tough he was, but he didn't really believe it.

I think what was really great, intended or not, was that they played Kylo Ren up to be this advanced dark Jedi, but he's really not that far along.  The mask was done to cover up for his lack of training and internal emotional conflict.

I assume Snoke didn't want to go full Dark Jedi with him until he bought in and killed his dad.  Now, he'll probably get trained up.

I liked it when he lost his crap several times and trashed rooms with his light saber. The more I think about it, Ren is my favorite character/has the most potential for a great story

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2015, 09:25:07 PM »
oh hai guise wat's up itt?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2015, 10:08:13 PM »

I liked it when he lost his crap several times and trashed rooms with his light saber. The more I think about it, Ren is my favorite character/has the most potential for a great story
I thought it was weird he just kept destroying stuff. Like when the guy told him they lost Rey and bb8 I thought for sure that guy was 100% dead. Nope. Just the computer screens.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2015, 10:55:31 PM »
Smoke is Darth Plagueis, guys.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2015, 12:17:22 AM »
When Rey grabs the light saber for the first time, if you listen carefully, you can hear the sentence, "Rey, these are your first steps." The voice saying the "Rey" part is none other than Sir Alec Guinness, dead since 2000.  They edited his voice saying "afraid" from the original movies to gain the "Rey." The rest of the sentence was voiced by Ewan MacGregor, the second Obi Wan.

Pretty cool that was.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2015, 12:37:13 AM »
You guys have convinced me that this movie is a pile of crap so I'm going to skip it and see Concussion instead. TY.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2015, 08:35:59 AM »
You guys have convinced me that this movie is a pile of crap so I'm going to skip it and see Concussion instead. TY.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Most people really liked it, and most die hards loved it.  At least that's my interpretation.

Of course, I saw the movie while wearing a Millennium Falcon shirt, so that's going to say something about where I fall on the spectrum.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »
I thought Abrams did an excellent job of balancing special effects with real actors, real sets, and real costumes. It looked and felt like episodes 4-6. Not the sensory overload cartoons that were episodes 1-3.

But yeah, I agree with the story being a bit bland and not terribly imaginative. Rylo wasn't impressive.

As part 1 of a trilogy, it did its job exceedingly well. But as a stand alone movie, it wasn't too exciting or memorable.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »
I thought Abrams did an excellent job of balancing special effects with real actors, real sets, and real costumes. It looked and felt like episodes 4-6. Not the sensory overload cartoons that were episodes 1-3.

But yeah, I agree with the story being a bit bland and not terribly imaginative. Rylo wasn't impressive.

As part 1 of a trilogy, it did its job exceedingly well. But as a stand alone movie, it wasn't too exciting or memorable.

JJ is apparently in love with the script for Episode 8, and I think everyone is pretty confident in Rian Johnson.