Author Topic: Arizona may require Obama to show his birth certificate to be on the ballot  (Read 10797 times)

Sugar Dick

Kinda odd that AZ had a bevy of Constitutional Attorneys studying and working on the wording of the law, but yet it's deemed to be unconstitutional by people that haven't read it.

I'm a little surprised that the resident Constitutional experts couldn't answer the test question.   :users:

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Question:

What part of the constitution (Amendments included) does this law violate? 

The way I understand it:  1) person gets stopped for doing something suspicious, 2) during the stop person acts suspicious and doesn't have identification, 3) cops report person to some illegal immigrant hotline thingy, 4) the hotline people take the ball from there.

How is this different than when you get a speeding ticket and they check you for warrants?  Just curious why so many people are opposed to this?  Pure partisan politics I assume.

Racial profiling.  "doing something suspicious" will turn into "that mexican didn't use a blinker, pull his ass over and check for id." 

So you are putting forth a slippery slope argument? 'Will turn into'?

:facepalm:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Question:

The way I understand it:  1) person gets stopped for doing something suspicious, 2) during the stop person acts suspicious and doesn't have identification, 3) cops report person to some illegal immigrant hotline thingy, 4) the hotline people take the ball from there.

How is this different than when you get a speeding ticket and they check you for warrants?  Just curious why so many people are opposed to this?  Pure partisan politics I assume.

Racial profiling.  "doing something suspicious" will turn into "that mexican didn't use a blinker, pull his ass over and check for id." 

Have you seen the Illinois study on dwb?  It raises some pretty tough questions for advocates of expanding the intrusiveness of searches based on "probable cause."

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Question:

The way I understand it:  1) person gets stopped for doing something suspicious, 2) during the stop person acts suspicious and doesn't have identification, 3) cops report person to some illegal immigrant hotline thingy, 4) the hotline people take the ball from there.

How is this different than when you get a speeding ticket and they check you for warrants?  Just curious why so many people are opposed to this?  Pure partisan politics I assume.

Racial profiling.  "doing something suspicious" will turn into "that mexican didn't use a blinker, pull his ass over and check for id."  

Have you seen the Illinois study on dwb?  It raises some pretty tough questions for advocates of expanding the intrusiveness of searches based on "probable cause."

This bill works towards solving a festering problem that isn't being brought to attention equal to its level of urgency. Its desperation. But its not a terrible bill.

Are we supposed to put forth bills predicated on the assumption that most of our police force will break the law or are outright racists? Does that sound wise to you?

Also, in regards to Driving While Black:

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/_national_rev-reporting.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Are-Cops-Racist-Heather-MacDonald/dp/156663489X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&sr=1-1

And just as an amusing aside, I think it was Bookcat that posted that Prince did much the same thing to a cop that pulled him over near the end of his career at Ksu. He was black, cop was white, must be racism so the accusation is made.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:47:00 PM by Goldbrick »