Author Topic: #Ranchihakku: super kawaii shokunin ranchi borogu (with bonus non-lunch content)  (Read 102867 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
What has been your biggest adjustment living in j-ville so far (apart from food)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
What has been your biggest adjustment living in j-ville so far (apart from food)

change: uprooting my (our) life and starting fresh somewhere I (we) don't know anybody or anything about anything.

Literacy: Out in the world I am basically illiterate. I am gradually figuring out useful things like food, beer, places. I have really gained a renewed appreciation for literacy which I previously had taken for granted.

work: I have to work a lot harder under stricter conditions. I have it figured out now so this isn't really bad. It's nice to change things up and have to prove yourself all over again.

driving lifestyle: unless you live in New York City or "The City" American's are used to being able to easily drive anywhere whenever. Not here. A car is an albatross. A curse and a burden. Unless I'm going to work or a mall or big box store its hell to find parking and when you do its super expensive. Also driving on the tollways is redic expensive. imagine it if cost $35 each way to get from MHK to Topeka. Also you can't drive at all after having even one drink. DUI is a super huge deal here.

culture: group harmony. not disturbing others. minding your own business.  good of the whole. This is the opposite of America and quite refreshing. this way of being is more in alignment with my natural self. Few things I love more than minding my own business.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Do they frontpack there?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
That culture part sounds pretty dope

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

change: uprooting my (our) life and starting fresh somewhere I (we) don't know anybody or anything about anything.

Literacy: Out in the world I am basically illiterate. I am gradually figuring out useful things like food, beer, places. I have really gained a renewed appreciation for literacy which I previously had taken for granted.

work: I have to work a lot harder under stricter conditions. I have it figured out now so this isn't really bad. It's nice to change things up and have to prove yourself all over again.

driving lifestyle: unless you live in New York City or "The City" American's are used to being able to easily drive anywhere whenever. Not here. A car is an albatross. A curse and a burden. Unless I'm going to work or a mall or big box store its hell to find parking and when you do its super expensive. Also driving on the tollways is redic expensive. imagine it if cost $35 each way to get from MHK to Topeka. Also you can't drive at all after having even one drink. DUI is a super huge deal here.

culture: group harmony. not disturbing others. minding your own business.  good of the whole. This is the opposite of America and quite refreshing. this way of being is more in alignment with my natural self. Few things I love more than minding my own business.

do many people ride bikes around you? what about vespa-like scooters?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
bikes and scooters are everywhere. they normally ride on the leftmost side of the road and are supposed to have a max speed limit of 30kph but can pass traffic. they also can ride on the sidewalks if they yield to pedestrians and dismount at crosswalks. In reality its straight up fury road. They split lanes and weave in and out of cars and generally terrify me. Basically the Japanese accident liability is as follows pedestrian>bike>scooter>motorcycle>car>truck>gaijin. Basically if you get into a crash with a bike it will be totally your fault regardless of what happened.

one of my coworkers got creamed last week riding his bike down a hill past stopped traffic when a car suddenly turned left in front of him and he t-boned it and got effed up. the car was assessed complete liability, so they have to pay all the damages. Also she had to come meet him at the police station to offer him a sincere personal apology, "gomenasai".

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
there are way more bikes than cars. I would like to bike to work but I haven't gotten around to it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

one of my coworkers got creamed last week riding his bike down a hill past stopped traffic when a car suddenly turned left in front of him and he t-boned it and got effed up. the car was assessed complete liability, so they have to pay all the damages. Also she had to come meet him at the police station to offer him a sincere personal apology, "gomenasai".

wow

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
In highschool this one girl backed into my whip in the p lot and tried to skip the scene, but thankfully one of my bros noted her plate num. The next day, we were both called into the office so that she could apologize to my face.  :Wha:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Also apparently a tatu song

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
puni why do you add the Japanese translation of a thing?  Like, it makes me think it's more than just a translation but I can't really put a finger on how.  For example, in Spanish:

They served this wonderful condiment meant for scooping up with chips, chopped up fresh tomatos, cilantro, onions, "pico de gallo."

But it doesn't really seem the same or even comparable.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Is the culture more or less restricting for the Mrs?  I mean, relocating to a place where you are more limited in the view of society would kinda suck.  Seems like most of Asia would be like this. :dunno:

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
puni why do you add the Japanese translation of a thing?  Like, it makes me think it's more than just a translation but I can't really put a finger on how.  For example, in Spanish:

They served this wonderful condiment meant for scooping up with chips, chopped up fresh tomatos, cilantro, onions, "pico de gallo."

He was specifying that the lady had to do a "gomennasai" and not a "sumimasen".

"Sumimasen" is like "excuse me," for a light apology, or when stopping someone on the street to ask directions, when trying to pass someone in a narrow street, etc.
"Gomennasai" is "I am sorry," a real apology.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Side note:

I know several people who moved to Jutland (rural) Denmark for the company.  Moved their wives/family there.  While Danish people are super nice, they also pretty much don't do anything after 5 or 6PM.  Not much opportunity to go out to dinner or movies or stuff like that.  They just hole themselves up inside their homes and be with their families.  Which, nothing wrong with that of course, I/we mostly do the same thing now that we have a son.  But, it makes it very tough to integrate for an expat and his stay-at-home-wife and family.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Puni, do you get lost often since you can't read the road signs? 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How did Japan receive the Last Samurai? 

The Big Train

Are South Park episodes accurate in their descriptions?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile

I don't really understand your question but mostly I'm just name dropping Japanese words to look cool but in that instance the intent was more educational?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I don't really understand your question but mostly I'm just name dropping Japanese words to look cool but in that instance the intent was more educational?

Well confirmed it's cool as eff, "suave."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Puni, do you get lost often since you can't read the road signs?

Google maps works pretty well most of the time for driving, trains, and walking.
The Digital age has made getting lost obsolete.

It's boned me a few times though.

Sometimes it shows the incorrect terminus of the train you want causing you to doubt yourself and miss your train or get on the wrong train.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
How did Japan receive the Last Samurai?
I'll ask. Normally they love any direct attention for Japan and they also love the subject time period in their entertainment, but would probably laugh at the portrayal of feudal samurai Japan as anything but brutal and cruel. Samurai are normally the bad guys in their telanovellas.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is bushido not admired today?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Do they frontpack there?

is this wearing your backpack on your front? if not, put plz put the translation in quotation marks.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile