Author Topic: building an earthbag house  (Read 6000 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
building an earthbag house
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:44:58 PM »
does anybody want to do this with me? things we'll need are a place to build, bags, dirt and a few tools. also money. does anybody have any of that that and also willing to offer it? we can get a a bunch of bags for a few hundred dollars. does anyone know if a bank will lend for this? is anyone a banker that approves loans for these types of things? interested parties please post in this thread or pm if you would like to remain a silent partner. also, i have some of the tools already and am willing to contribute them.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/1-earthbag-dome-home.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/2009/03/26/earthbag-house-plans/&usg=__EwVV9wu56r9nBYMP-9ou6vmQt5Q=&h=384&w=499&sz=146&hl=en&start=43&itbs=1&tbnid=OGGeAeImdzIydM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddome%2Bhome%2Bkits%26start%3D36%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:53:44 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: building an earthbag house
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:49:48 PM »
I'm in. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »
In a load-bearing straw house the weight of the roof is supported by the bales themselves without any other framework

If that doesn't inspire confidence, I don't know what will.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »
 :excited:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:03:31 PM »
I'm in. 

do you have land or know of anyone who has built an earthbag house before?

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:04:52 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 02:05:35 PM »
what's inside of those bags?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »

Sugar Dick

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »
does anybody want to do this with me? things we'll need are a place to build, bags, dirt and a few tools. also money. does anybody have any of that that and also willing to offer it? we can get a a bunch of bags for a few hundred dollars. does anyone know if a bank will lend for this? is anyone a banker that approves loans for these types of things? interested parties please post in this thread or pm if you would like to remain a silent partner. also, i have some of the tools already and am willing to contribute them.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/1-earthbag-dome-home.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/2009/03/26/earthbag-house-plans/&usg=__EwVV9wu56r9nBYMP-9ou6vmQt5Q=&h=384&w=499&sz=146&hl=en&start=43&itbs=1&tbnid=OGGeAeImdzIydM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddome%2Bhome%2Bkits%26start%3D36%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1

Global Warming igloo?  

Instead of working hard and sweating and stuff, we head up to Eskimo country and charge Eskimos money to take Earthbag home building lessons.  Like a consulting company.  Tell them the ice is going to melt soon and that tsunami's and hurricanes are coming so unless they want to get their seal skin hats wet they better learn how to build a earthbag igloo, and that we can show them how for a nominal fee.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 02:10:15 PM »

sodium
it's not sodium, would harm the environment

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »
I'm going to clone pissclams and rick daris hundreds of time and stack their dead bodies in a similar fashion and call it a DIRTBAG house!!
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:11:52 PM »

sodium
it's not sodium, would harm the environment

Exactly the reason it is sodium.  With you reducing your intake, it all has to go somewhere.  

Capture it in a bag, build a house with it, and it has no chance of ever ending back up in a Panda Express #6 lunch special.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »

earth?  :dunno:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
you dumbasses, it's not earth, it's not sodium, it's not dead bodies of bbs elites.  they put massive amounts of polluted top soil in those bags and then pawn it off to unsuspecting dumbasses.  read your history fellas, read it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 02:27:38 PM »
omg  :lol:

saul just sent me a pm and said that he'd be in if we could put aspartame in the bags. good lord. when i pm'd him back that the bags would be behind walls and not easily accessible he backed out. pfffft.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
omg  :lol:

saul just sent me a pm and said that he'd be in if we could put aspartame in the bags. good lord. when i pm'd him back that the bags would be behind walls and not easily accessible he backed out. pfffft.
Not cool dude. They are called private messages for a reason.  Now you've done it.  I am moving out of section 2. I'm done with this crap.  Sick and fuckin tired of it.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »
you dumbasses, it's not earth, it's not sodium, it's not dead bodies of bbs elites.  they put massive amounts of polluted top soil in those bags and then pawn it off to unsuspecting dumbasses.  read your history fellas, read it.

So, it is earth then?

I am confused.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »
I'm in. 

Yes and kind of.  I spent an evening once in Eagle Nest, NM, on New Year's Eve and spent all night drinking wine and talking with an older hippy couple that lived in a dome of some sort nearby.  I'll track them down next time I'm out there.  I'm sure they will be very helpful in our mission. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
I'm in. 

Yes and kind of.  I spent an evening once in Eagle Nest, NM, on New Year's Eve and spent all night drinking wine and talking with an older hippy couple that lived in a dome of some sort nearby.  I'll track them down next time I'm out there.  I'm sure they will be very helpful in our mission. 

So basically JW has lived in a dome most his life

Offline gato montes

• Fan
  • Winner of the 2011 "Where is 'Clams" Contest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
I'm in. 

Holy crap. I've been there. You have a start but nothing compared to Kingston, NM hippies. These people have it down. They can have you 2 built in the time it takes JW's people to build one. Oh, and it would have an elite disc golf course built in the surrounding mountains.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »
I'm in. 

Holy crap. I've been there. You have a start but nothing compared to Kingston, NM hippies. These people have it down. They can have you 2 built in the time it takes JW's people to build one. Oh, and it would have an elite disc golf course built in the surrounding mountains.
the very fact that domes are a much more solid structure than anything else currently known to man leads me to believe that the dome is the obvious choice when selecting my next living quarters.  i wonder how much of its tensile strength would be reduced if i were to double, or perhaps triple dome it.  anyone who knows pls post here tia.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »

used to go to kingston somewhat regularly.  nice area.  saw a guy building (slowly) a house way be in the woods on fs land.  seemed to be using mostly concrete blocks but also rocks and forest products and whatnot.  lots of kids.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."