Author Topic: building a dome  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
building a dome
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »
does anybody want to do this with me? things we'll need are a place to build and tools. also money. does anybody have any of that that and also willing to offer it? we can get a 450 sq foot kit (frame, exterior and interior) for around $17,000. does anyone know if a bank will lend for this? is anyone a banker that approves loans for these types of things? interested parties please post in this thread or pm if you would like to remain a silent partner. also, i have some of the tools already and am willing to contribute them.

http://www.one-eleven.net/~domekits/domekitprices.htm

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: building a dome
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »
Can you let us know what it will be used for, or is that classified information?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:40:09 PM »
i have a ton of dome materials and will ask the owner of the materials if i can use them for this dome project.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »
Can you let us know what it will be used for, or is that classified information?

Basketball practice facility.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
Sex bunker??

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »
OMG, father y-l_a had a dome home neighbor for a long time. Then the dome was destroyed and couldn't be built again something about not having enough acres to build.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:32:46 PM »
we will all get to use the dome for whatever we want. that's the beauty of the whole thing. IT'S OURS. ALL of it! how long will it take us to build it? i'm not sure. anyone have experience building domes before? if you have experience building domes or know someone who has experience building these domes, then please post in this thread or pm me if necessary. thanks. also, if you had to choose between a river or a lake for a dome site, which would you choose for a site to build a dome? thanks.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »
That might work well for domepaks.  That or Bobby T's.

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:37:40 PM »
not a fan of the door, access should through a hatch on top

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »
guys,

nix this prefab dome idea. it was a bad idea on my part. sorry.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »
I'm taking charge of this dome project.  Anyone who wants to LMAO at the earthbag house losers while sitting on the domehouse deck and swigging from a bottle of their go to beer, please sign up.  DOMEPAK.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »
I'm in for the DOMEPAK, earthbag houses are for complete dumbasses.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 03:45:59 PM »
wow. what a bunch of fools. i'll probably have the earthbag house built and fully functional before you two even get your materials. have fun assembling that thing this winter.  :flush:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
Yea, the dome is way fracking cooler than some hobbit house.  And I wouldn't want to mow my house either.  

I'll gladly donate off-brand koolaid to those working on the dome.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
Would love to DOMEPAK.  Will bring Keystones.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 03:49:06 PM »
The dome will have a TV that plays Catmatt vids on a loop 24/7.  Try plugging a TV into an earthbag.  SPOILER ALERT:  It won't work.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 07:59:59 PM »
The dome will have a TV that plays Catmatt vids on a loop 24/7.  Try plugging a TV into an earthbag.  SPOILER ALERT:  It won't work.

THE DOME will also have a strict no-CatMatt (in person) policy. 

Sugar Dick

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »
does anybody want to do this with me? things we'll need are a place to build and tools. also money. does anybody have any of that that and also willing to offer it? we can get a 450 sq foot kit (frame, exterior and interior) for around $17,000. does anyone know if a bank will lend for this? is anyone a banker that approves loans for these types of things? interested parties please post in this thread or pm if you would like to remain a silent partner. also, i have some of the tools already and am willing to contribute them.

I know a banker that will lend on this.  All you need is a title to a $50,000 boat and the 17 grand is yours.  Of course there's a modest fee, the interest rate is unclear, and if you don't pay in 180 days you might find your boat missing one morning, but he'll lend on this.

You should build two close together so it looks like tits.  Or if you build two close together and just have one door in the middle it will look like an bad person.  Every time someone walks out you could say, "look at that piece of hullabaloo"

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »

newsflash. i've never even been in an earthbag house that didn't have a tv. you must be thinking about earthbag houses from the 1850's or something. maybe you could build you guys culd build a timemachine dome and all go there. :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »

I know a banker that will lend on this.  All you need is a title to a $50,000 boat and the 17 grand is yours.  Of course there's a modest fee, the interest rate is unclear, and if you don't pay in 180 days you might find your boat missing one morning, but he'll lend on this.

You should build two close together so it looks like tits.  Or if you build two close together and just have one door in the middle it will look like an bad person.  Every time someone walks out you could say, "look at that piece of hullabaloo"

thanks, but i've moved on. these prefab dome kits are yesterday's news.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »
There are some seriously good ideas in this video.  I'm thinking we can make it some sort of a philanthropic cash cow party dome.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »
Daris,

As many of the board knows, I am a pretty big land owner in Osage County.  I have a lovely plot of land that we could use for this thing.  Obviously, I'd prefer to line the dome with iron bars and use it for a secret fighting club, but I'd be cool with just using for a summer home while enjoying weekend boating outings on Pomona Lake and golf at Lamont Hill Country Club.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 10:41:26 PM »
You guys should look up Buckminster Fuller. Now that guy liked domes.