Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 138920 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »
Article - this is a tiny minority

Ksuw - good article, proves this is a gigantic problem and will doom America

lib7 - not good at reading
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2015, 01:53:04 PM »

the article did not indicate that the discussed viewpoint was a tiny minority.  perhaps you were confused by the "The vast majority on the left are not illiberal", but the author and interviewee subsequently made clear that while they (or perhaps just the interviewee) considered that most on the left to be uncomfortable with the hypersensitive pc view, it is held by a large proportion of university students.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2015, 01:59:50 PM »
I'll have to read it again later sys, I skimmed some towards the middle. But I'll trust you're correct.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2015, 02:03:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm more worried about Syrian refuge terrorists.

And I also think these professors should unionize to fight back against the reverse microaggression.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2015, 02:06:15 PM »
I'm more worried about Syrian refuge terrorists

Same. I think the positive aspects will be picked up and the negatives will be ridiculed and brought back down to earth, ultimately having not much effect. That's just my proglib opinion tho

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »

And I also think these professors should unionize to fight back against the reverse microaggression.

would be tough. there are so many people applying whenever a professor job opens, that schools wouldn't need to use union members

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »

would be tough. there are so many people applying whenever a professor job opens, that schools wouldn't need to use union members

it's interesting that there are so many people are clamoring to deal with these coddled hyper-sensitive PC culturites

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »
liblib is under 35 and michigancat is pretending to be.  pretty much proves the prof's point.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »
 :D

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2015, 02:13:27 PM »

it's interesting that there are so many people are clamoring to deal with these coddled hyper-sensitive PC culturites

it is

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »

it is

the humanities have a terrible glut of people looking for jobs.  High double digits for every job opening, pretty much have to have a book at press to get a sniff of an interview. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2015, 02:49:18 PM »

it is

Is it? There are a lot of people who come out of college with nearly useless degrees suitable only for academia. These are the people who sort of flit around undergrad, graduate with a "_______ studies" degree, then continue on to grad school, and at least $100k in student loans later they try to glom on somewhere as an adjunct while working as a Starbucks barista on the side.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »

it is

Is it? There are a lot of people who come out of college with nearly useless degrees suitable only for academia. These are the people who sort of flit around undergrad, graduate with a "_______ studies" degree, then continue on to grad school, and at least $100k in student loans later they try to glom on somewhere as an adjunct while working as a Starbucks barista on the side.
You seem to have a strong disdain for all parties involved.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »

it is

You seem to have a strong disdain for all parties involved.

A lot them are the same people, just at different stages in their lives. Many of these idiot students are on exactly the same track and they don't even realize it. They'd be better off with some mandatory training on "preparing to get a paying job in the real world" instead of "cultural sensitivity."

Here's a good article on the topic: http://www.salon.com/2014/09/21/professors_on_food_stamps_the_shocking_true_story_of_academia_in_2014/
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2015, 05:05:31 PM »

What the article is saying is that the public school liberal indoctrination is fully implemented and working, but has also caused unintended consequences, ie, children adults that can't take care of themselves.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2015, 05:09:38 PM »
Liberal indoctrination  :curse:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2015, 05:25:04 PM »
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2015/11/the-revenge-of-the-coddled-an-interview-with-jonathan-haidt

I found this provocative. Was posted by my bro-in-law who is a college professor on the west coast and is a liberal.

interesting piece.  thanks for posting it.

OK, I finally read it. I thought it was interesting, but puzzling that the interviewee talks about this overwhelming culture of fear and PC-ness, yet no one pushed back on his article and there's no real data that this is a problem. Which seems kind of ironic since the complaining is coming from someone with a PhD.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2015/11/the-revenge-of-the-coddled-an-interview-with-jonathan-haidt

I found this provocative. Was posted by my bro-in-law who is a college professor on the west coast and is a liberal.

OK, I finally read it. I thought it was interesting, but puzzling that the interviewee talks about this overwhelming culture of fear and PC-ness, yet no one pushed back on his article and there's no real data that this is a problem. Which seems kind of ironic since the complaining is coming from someone with a PhD.

the coddled youth don't read, michigancat.  obviously, people of reading age would agree with the thesis

while most of the article the interviewee co-wrote focuses on series of anecdotes, there is a little bit of data presented as well.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »

There was no pushback because everyone that reads his article agrees, which is all the data you need.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »

There was no pushback because everyone that reads his article agrees, which is all the data you need.
You'd think hyper sensitive coddled kids would be bothered. Because they're hypersensitive.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2015, 06:45:19 PM »
That article has a lot more than 140 characters.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »

the coddled youth don't read, michigancat.  obviously, people of reading age would agree with the thesis

while most of the article the interviewee co-wrote focuses on series of anecdotes, there is a little bit of data presented as well.
I reread the original article. The little data they presented made their broad claims seem insignificant. They really seem like they're overreacting to microaggression or something. No one is actually losing their job over this (other than the "Notre Dame vs. The Klan" guy). Professors are just forced to think about what they say a bit more and these two guys had a major forum to whine about it for a couple thousand words.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2015, 08:59:38 AM »
What kind of data are you police state nazis looking for?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2015, 01:12:56 PM »
I reread the original article. The little data they presented made their broad claims seem insignificant. They really seem like they're overreacting to microaggression or something. No one is actually losing their job over this (other than the "Notre Dame vs. The Klan" guy). Professors are just forced to think about what they say a bit more and these two guys had a major forum to whine about it for a couple thousand words.

the coauthor is a lawyer, i think.  the article is presented like lawyers argue - a series of anecdotes that they think support their thesis.  data would be more convincing regarding the scale of the issue, but anecdotes are not nothing, it's an effective means of communication.

i think your problem with the article is you're looking for evidence that this is a problem of a scale worth worrying about.  however, the scale of the problem is not crucial to identifying it as an interesting phenomenon.  look no further than your inability to process the mu student v.p.'s words arguing against the media's right to cover their protest.  a pure one-off, but fascinating.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:16:28 PM by sys »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
I think it's a very interesting phenomenon - the fact that articles like that are written are part of what fascinates me