Author Topic: Likes/Dislikes - Horned Frog Edition  (Read 2546 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Likes/Dislikes - Horned Frog Edition
« on: October 13, 2015, 10:13:43 AM »
I'm surprised we don't have on of these yet. Share any particular likes/dislikes from the TCU game ITT. General meltdowns can go in one of the many other threads.

Like: Risner snapping the ball when we caught the defense offsides. Ballsy move for a frosh.

Dislike: do we always have to run the play clock to 0 and check with the sideline on the play? This makes it WAY too easy to disguise coverages and time blitzes.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Likes/Dislikes - Horned Frog Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »
Did the OL play well?  I can never tell, but it seemed like Hubener had plenty of time to throw before chucking it into the dirt or 10 yards out of bounds.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:39 AM »
Kstate has lost 2 games in a row when leading at halftime

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »
I liked us destroying TCU's overaggressive defense/linebackers with zone reads and power runs.

I disliked it when we decided we didn't want to do that anymore.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »

I liked us destroying TCU's overaggressive defense/linebackers with zone reads and power runs.

I disliked it when we decided we didn't want to do that anymore.

This is all you need to know about the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 10:46:16 AM »
Liked - first half
disliked - second half

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »
liked - first half
don't remember - second half

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 01:15:40 PM »
I'm surprised we don't have on of these yet. Share any particular likes/dislikes from the TCU game ITT. General meltdowns can go in one of the many other threads.

Like: Risner snapping the ball when we caught the defense offsides. Ballsy move for a frosh.

Dislike: do we always have to run the play clock to 0 and check with the sideline on the play? This makes it WAY too easy to disguise coverages and time blitzes.

Risner snapping that ball was incredibly stupid, and I'm sure the coaches told him so. When he snapped that ball he had no idea the official would throw the flag. If a quick snap happens to catch someone offside, that needs to be initiated by the person who needs to receive the snap.

Also yes, we do need to run the clock down, the offense needs to be on the field as long as humanly possible. Blitzers aren't looking at the play clock, they're looking at the snap.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »
I assume the entire point of checking with the sideline is to change the play if the D shows a favorable look. If we check every single time then why would the D show anything until we do our obligatory hard count and look over?

I also find it hard to believe that at least some of the defense is not playing the clock. They only have to wait for it to hit 5 and then start going.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Certain defensive fronts are "check with me".

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
Most coaches aren't wanting their guys moving around a bunch pre snap because they have to be in proper alignment when the ball is snapped

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »
There are old play books out there that describe in detail the whole process

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 01:35:38 PM »
I'm not suggesting they would run all over the field, but it would be pretty easy to give a man coverage look and then back off to zone after we check to the sidelines or vice versa. Since we have practically no deep threat, there is not too much concern over getting burned.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »
Teams try to do that regardless of check with me or not.  Coaches have to figure tendencies etc and gameplan or anticipate what the other team tries to do

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
I assume the entire point of checking with the sideline is to change the play if the D shows a favorable look. If we check every single time then why would the D show anything until we do our obligatory hard count and look over?

I also find it hard to believe that at least some of the defense is not playing the clock. They only have to wait for it to hit 5 and then start going.

FYI, every time we look to the sideline and check, we don't change the play. Many are fake checks. Any good team that does check with me is going to have checks that are fakes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »

Because it would be hard for the defense to readjust late in the play clock, the only thing they could conceivably do is something with the dline, you aren't moving people in the secondary late in the play clock.

Also use your head when thinking about defensive players using the play clock to try to get offensive timing. Your eyes have to be way up to see the clock, the fraction of a section it takes to look up and then look down before rushing mitigates any time you can potentially save if the ball is snapped with exactly 1 second left. It is not like the play clock is on the ball or the helmets of the oline or QB.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »

Because it would be hard for the defense to readjust late in the play clock, the only thing they could conceivably do is something with the dline, you aren't moving people in the secondary late in the play clock.

Also use your head when thinking about defensive players using the play clock to try to get offensive timing. Your eyes have to be way up to see the clock, the fraction of a section it takes to look up and then look down before rushing mitigates any time you can potentially save if the ball is snapped with exactly 1 second left. It is not like the play clock is on the ball or the helmets of the oline or QB.

Luckily our fans count it down for them so they don't have to look.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 01:51:30 PM »
Home field advantage

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »
Fake checks doesn't really solve what I'm describing. The point is we would not see the real look until about the 8-10 second mark because they are counting on us taking the time to do the (fake) checking.

As for blitzing, if I'm a LB and I'm trying to time my blitz against this offense, what better way then just wait until the 5 second mark to start showing it? You don't even have to be looking at the play clock to hit 5, just look up and see it is at 10 or 15 and count to yourself.

Really I just think we need to have 1-2 plays a series where we snap the ball quickly and keep everyone honest. Maybe we do, but I can't think of us doing that other than on QB sneaks or goal line plays.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »
Who cares if you know if the snap is coming somewhere under the 5 second mark, you still can't break the LOS until the ball is snapped? Why does it matter when you "start showing it?" Sometimes players show blitzes but don't actually blitz.

I'm going to stop wasting my time trying to help you get it, you would think that you'd understand why no one is able to do what you're proposing is so easy.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »

Fake checks doesn't really solve what I'm describing. The point is we would not see the real look until about the 8-10 second mark because they are counting on us taking the time to do the (fake) checking.

As for blitzing, if I'm a LB and I'm trying to time my blitz against this offense, what better way then just wait until the 5 second mark to start showing it? You don't even have to be looking at the play clock to hit 5, just look up and see it is at 10 or 15 and count to yourself.

Really I just think we need to have 1-2 plays a series where we snap the ball quickly and keep everyone honest. Maybe we do, but I can't think of us doing that other than on QB sneaks or goal line plays.

That's not the system. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 07:24:03 PM »

That's not the system. 

This package had only 1 check with me against that defense.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »

That's not the system. 

This package had only 1 check with me against that defense.

Here is a play against 8 different fronts you can see how a defense couldn't just change from a good look to a check out look in a few seconds

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 09:28:18 PM »
<-- LFBIQ