Author Topic: Dog Training  (Read 7855 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Dog Training
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:39:17 AM »
Any cool things you can make your dog (or maybe cat? can you train those  :dunno:) and if so how did you accomplish that goal?

I'm currently training my dog to do the basics...

got "sit" down like a mother trucker,

kinda got "down" but sometimes only if there is a treat,

"leave it" is one of his best ones. this was done through a couple methods of positive and negaitve reinforcement, like walking past a pile of treats and giving a quick tug on the pinch collar when he makes a move for it, while giving a stern "leave it" verbal command. then moving to a treat based system where he doesn't get to eat the treat thats on the floor until he gets his release command "ok go."

"wait" - combo this one with sit before each and every door entry

"out" - GTFOOMR

"game-time" - thats the lingo we use for doin the potty business

"hurry up" - actually doing the potty business, now that i think about it i wish i used the word "hustle" instead to keep with the sport language. on a whole i should have thought it out and used frank martins playbook too name all the tricks. (mods feel free to move this thread to the "octogon of doom" if needed. tia)

"spin" - pretty simple, he just does a 360. usually have him sit and just make a circle with a treat on top of the verbal command. at first, just started off by slowly leading him around 360 degrees with the verbal. progressively got faster.

"come" - this ones still a work in progress, but he's got it pretty much down. starting to transition it to a specific whistle.

"roll-over"- thats a tough one, i'll give it a "work in progress." i was told to push with the treat towards his shoulder when he is in a lay position, and continue giving praise and treats while he makes his way over. he's kinda gangly though and he doesn't really seem coordinated (prolly me just being to easy on him).

"shake" - down like lindsay lohan at a coke party. have him start at sitting and then just place the treat between his neck and shoulder which causes him to automatically lift his paw. eventually it just turned into a verbal command.

"beg" - got it. started by having him sit down then bringing the treat just over his head, providing a little support on the backside of his collar to provide balance and direction and giving the verbal command. then just eventually the direction of the treat and verbal.

"give" - he pretty much has got this. he goes out and gives $1 to the first homeless guy he sees.

"bang & settle" - for the domination treatment of putting him on his side

"stay" - i feel like this is the most important one, and i think he's getting it, but not really sure. seems to forget about it pretty easily. really would like to prolong it to where he can sit, stay and i can go into the house and come back out without him moving an inch. it would be really useful for when going into stores and restaurants to order food. any tips??!!

walking and stuff he's pretty solid, but we have to use the pinch collar to ensure he isn't trying to lead us around. when its on he stays right by our side, doesn't pull at all, but when its off he generally tries to do what he wants. i try and give him quick tugs and give him a "heel" command but it doesn't really work with a normal collar. i would LOVE to do off-the-leash training but the dude has a very high prey drive and i don't know if its possible to overcome that enough to where i can walk him around without a collar on. i've experimented with it and he does pretty well, but he has yet to see a cat or duck (rough ridin' hatess ducks) when doing so. when i took him on a 26 mile hike he did pretty alright with it, but was having problems so i kept switching back and forth between pinch collar and off-leash.

problems: he gets pretty excited whenever he see's either the lady or me after a while. we exercise him every day, and don't make eye contact with him when we come in. then when we acknowledge him we make him sit for us. any tips on this one?!?! also when guests come through the door. i would like for him to not care, but i figure part of that is being a puppy. for the time being we try and get him to sit and stay before we open it up to let people in. but i also have friends who just waltz right in.

so far he's around 5 months old and doin alright. fully crate and potty trained and sleeping through the night. he's pretty vocal though which i don't understand. he gives us lots of verbal talk, and we usually reprimand with a stern "quiet" and (hopefully) a spraying from a water bottle. whats really strange is that his breed is usually very quite unless they sense danger. i'm hoping it will just get better with consistency and time.

i was talking with this German lady the other day about things of this nature and she said she just learned about the "like" command. in which you don't allow your dog to acknowledge another person or approach them unless you say "like." this seems like it could be incredibly useful.

any tips or trips would be amazing! also if i wrote all this out and don't get any responses i'm gonna blow this thread to high hell in bumppage. probably with pictures of the dog doing these tricks.

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

:driving: :driving: :driving:

:cheers:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Training
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »
srsly?!! you guys are gonna make me just finger blast the crap out of this thread with pictures of my dog?

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 02:45:48 PM »
Thoroughly disappointed in this thread.  Thumbs down from this guy.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
my dog will lay stiff as a board with his paws straight up in the air and not move an inch for like five minutes if you're holding him that way. it's weird. he also swallowed a sock once and then crapped it out later. small dog too. pretty impressive. not sure if he was trained to do it though. more of a natural skill.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »

suggestions? awesome tricks i should teach my dog? WHERE DID I GO WRONG?!

my dog will lay stiff as a board with his paws straight up in the air and not move an inch for like five minutes if you're holding him that way. it's weird. he also swallowed a sock once and then crapped it out later. small dog too. pretty impressive. not sure if he was trained to do it though. more of a natural skill.

they love socks. i don't get it. had to pull one out of my dogs mouth that was about half way down his throat. no chewing just swallowing.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:37:36 PM »
my dog is awful.  apparently I'm not a trainer.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »

suggestions? awesome tricks i should teach my dog? WHERE DID I GO WRONG?!

they love socks. i don't get it. had to pull one out of my dogs mouth that was about half way down his throat. no chewing just swallowing.

One suggestion:  Stop wasting your time teaching your dog girly ass tricks.  If your commands won't result in your dog doing bodily harm to a person and/or animal, those commands are (I'm too stupid to find a better word than gay).

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 07:09:28 PM »
My cat plays fetch. I did not teach him this.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »

Neat.  Is your boyfriend also a cat person, or does he just put up with it?

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:04:53 PM »

Neat.  Is your boyfriend also a cat person, or does he just put up with it?
:lol:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
jtksu sure is bringin some heat for a "ksu" handle chick.

unless you have a panther and you've taught it to transform into a wolf you are talkin a mighty big game.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »

Dude, my cat does too

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »

Dude, my cat does too

maybe you guys live together and it's the same cat  :eek:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »

Dude, my cat does too

Cat lives in KC with the parents

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 11:03:57 PM »

unless you have a panther and you've taught it to transform into a wolf you are talkin a mighty big game.

Nope.  Just two dogs, who I've taught to do all kind of neat things like:  not begging, not getting on the furniture, not barking all the damn time, how to walk correctly on a leash, etc.  If I bird hunted more, I would teach them to retrieve.  You know, dog stuff.  They don't do stupid tricks because they actually have self esteem and don't want to make fools of themselves for my amusement.  Very similar to why you shouldn't marry a stripper.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »

Dude, my cat does too

Cat lives in KC with the parents

felix rex is your dad?  :eek:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 11:16:55 PM »

Nope.  Just two dogs, who I've taught to do all kind of neat things like:  not begging, not getting on the furniture, not barking all the damn time, how to walk correctly on a leash, etc.  If I bird hunted more, I would teach them to retrieve.  You know, dog stuff.  They don't do stupid tricks because they actually have self esteem and don't want to make fools of themselves for my amusement.  Very similar to why you shouldn't marry a stripper.
No offense, but your dogs just sound dumb and boring.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »

None taken.  They're not exactly white tigers or anything.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »

Did you know most white tigers suffer some sort of mental retardation? (not dk though)

Offline Maccat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 11:39:31 PM »
Got an English Bulldog 3 weeks before the K-State vs. Butler game.  The dog pisses itself everytime I say "goddamnit".  Propably thinks it is going to get kicked again.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »

Did you know most white tigers suffer some sort of mental retardation? (not dk though)

Many genetic anomalies do.   Makes them easier to get weeded out.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 12:22:13 AM »

yeah dude. those are things you are supposed to do with dogs? i guess i meant what extra things can you communicate with your dogs, besides making sure they aren't running amok. obedience training is part of that communication and relationship. aside from that it challenges them mentally and physically. lol at the self esteem thing. the dudes basically getting paid to do these tricks (in hot dogs), while i'm the guy who looks like the one who spends way to much time making his dog roll over.

i'm pretty sure dog stuff means playing fetch ( a trick) and rolling over (a trick) and swallowing socks (a trick).

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 12:25:26 AM »

yeah dude. those are things you are supposed to do with dogs? i guess i meant what extra things can you communicate with your dogs, besides making sure they aren't running amok. obedience training is part of that communication and relationship. aside from that it challenges them mentally and physically. lol at the self esteem thing. the dudes basically getting paid to do these tricks (in hot dogs), while i'm the guy who looks like the one who spends way to much time making his dog roll over.

i'm pretty sure dog stuff means playing fetch ( a trick) and rolling over (a trick) and swallowing socks (a trick).

Just sayin' I'd be pissed if my dog ate my sock..  Also, be careful feeding the dogs hotdogs, small windpipes.  (Like toddlers.)

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 12:30:09 AM »
i'm pretty sure my dogs head would explode if i gave him a whole hot dog. just give him cut up pieces.

Offline kst8catfan

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 08:02:30 AM »

One of my cats does too...who knows where they pick it up.