Author Topic: Bowling Master thread.  (Read 16481 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Bowling Master thread.
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2021, 07:59:47 PM »
If one could throw it right, like as right and as consistently as the robot, there’d be no luck. Everything else involved is static, the only variable is the throw. Be as good as the robot, no self-limitations.

What about the inner housing around the pins that the 7/10 pin must ricochet off of or whatever. Are we sure those are all absolutely the same and consistent from lane to lane, venue to venue, etc.?

They should be if they're part of the field of play, so to speak, at least I'm professional settings.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2021, 04:53:30 PM »
If one could throw it right, like as right and as consistently as the robot, there’d be no luck. Everything else involved is static, the only variable is the throw. Be as good as the robot, no self-limitations.
Did you read BAC's post?  The robot couldn't pick it up every time. 

My guess is because of extremely slight variance in pin positioning from the pinsetter and oil conditions on the lane.

Yeah, but I assumed the robot did it and they were saying no human could match it.  Those other factors you mentioned would affect other rolls and pin placements too, so I guess evey bowling achievement involves some degree of luck.
No.  E.A.R.L.(the bowling robot) didn't pick it up every time.

Even if the conditions remained identical, you have a relatively enormous margin of error with respect to picking up a single pin (hit it just like, wherever, and it knocks down) than you would a 7-10 split (hit it at the precise angle and force so that the pin ricochets off one or more of the sidewall/backwall/ball and knocks into the other pin.

You're out of your element here, trim. It's commonly accepted that 7-10 (and a number of other "lateral splits" [term i just made up]) require varying degrees of luck.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2021, 05:01:49 PM »
You're out of your element here, trim. It's commonly accepted that 7-10 (and a number of other "lateral splits" [term i just made up]) require varying degrees of luck.

Yes.

Those other factors you mentioned would affect other rolls and pin placements too, so I guess every bowling achievement involves some degree of luck.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2021, 09:16:16 AM »
Those other factors you mentioned would affect other rolls and pin placements too, so I guess every bowling achievement involves some degree of luck.
Everything except dead simple spares (where the margin for error is pretty huge), yes.  I'm not sure if E.A.R.L. can bowl 300s consistently, for example.  E.A.R.L. can consistently pick up a 5 pin or a 1-3 spare (for example) though.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2021, 10:19:08 AM »
Dude in my league bowled an 845 last night... 298, 279, 268.  Was pretty insane to watch.  I have 2 300s, but never been close to an 800 series.  I think that is the pinnacle.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2021, 10:23:38 AM »
Everything except dead simple spares (where the margin for error is pretty huge), yes.  I'm not sure if E.A.R.L. can bowl 300s consistently, for example.  E.A.R.L. can consistently pick up a 5 pin or a 1-3 spare (for example) though.

I mean, you can definitely set up EARL to throw the ball such that it hits the pocket at a 6 degree angle and theoretically that shot could be repeated every time...i'm sure they've probably tested it but i'm curious how often EARL can throw a 300, but i'd guess its upwards of 97% of the time

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »

I mean, you can definitely set up EARL to throw the ball such that it hits the pocket at a 6 degree angle and theoretically that shot could be repeated every time...i'm sure they've probably tested it but i'm curious how often EARL can throw a 300, but i'd guess its upwards of 97% of the time

You can throw the exact perfect ball every time and still not get a 300, which is why it's pretty difficult.  There is a lot that goes into the pin rack as well.  If there is a dead pin, or if one is misaligned, etc.  But I would guess if you are trying to test robot accuracy, you would make sure the rack is perfect every time as well.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2021, 03:57:57 PM »
plus they'd need to account for lane breakdown/transition too, unless EARL was throwing straight darts for the 300 every time.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2021, 07:46:11 PM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »
Bill Moro is a legend.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2021, 04:03:36 PM »
we're in the off-season of course but i went out last week and threw a 720.  yeoman's work really.

25 strikes out of 33 first balls.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »
league started back up.

617 to kick things off. I had four opens my first game.  :eek:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2021, 11:14:27 AM »
How many games in a league match? I'm bowling league dumb.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2021, 09:38:12 AM »
How many games in a league match? I'm bowling league dumb.

3.  The way it works is two teams bowl against each other on a night.  One point is awarded for each game team total (i.e. the entire team's total vs. the other team's total for that game).  Then, after all three, each team's total for the three games are compared, with another point being awarded for the winner there.  So 4 total points a night are up for grabs (3 games, 1 "series").  I think most amateur leagues are handicapped.  Handicaps vary, but it's generally some percentage (usually 80-90) of the difference between your average and some number (usually between 200-220).  So if i'm in a 90% of 200 league, and I have a 190 average, my handicap is 9 pins.

That said, I've been bowling horrible lately.  I'm a terrible bowler now.

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2021, 09:56:47 AM »
league started back up.

That's a good start though... gotta set that handicap!

I am a 210 avg bowler, first week had a 545, last night 663.

DQ... what ball are you currently throwing?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2021, 10:14:27 AM »
league started back up.

Storm Intense, with a Storm Ice for the 6 and 10. 

Online kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2021, 10:27:24 AM »
league started back up.

Storm Intense, with a Storm Ice for the 6 and 10.

Nice, big Storm guy here myself.  Recently switched to the RotoGrip UFO.. don't really like it

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2021, 01:25:31 PM »
Thank you for the bowling league primer @DQ12

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2021, 08:26:35 PM »

Glad to hear that for your wife’s sake.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2021, 03:30:52 PM »

Glad to hear that for your wife’s sake.
EMAPE

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2022, 10:15:17 AM »
Getting things back on track.  Threw a 662 (216 213 233) Monday.   Really solid work out of me.

Our 4 man team threw a 2370 scratch series, which is pretty great for us.  2610 handicap series, which broke this season's record by 130 pins in our ~12 team league that's been bowling for about 25 weeks or so this season.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »
Realized I never put the bow on last season.  Finished with about a 195. There was a stretch where I was bowling really bad.  Had a week or two where I was sub 500 :o.

They switched up the oil at the lanes last year -- much wetter conditions.  Retired the Intense and got the Astro Physix.  That's been an adjustment for me because that sucker is a lot of ball, but if I can get it down the lane, it's pretty golden.

Started the new season lastnight.  Threw a 664 (204, 237, 223).  My second game I struck the first 5, third game struck the first 6.  Could this be the year old DQ finally throws 12 in a row?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:04:52 AM by DQ12 »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2022, 10:37:42 AM »
Good report, enjoyed reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk