Author Topic: Bowling Master thread.  (Read 16470 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: Bowling Master thread.
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »
Barbers tend to exaggerate a lot.

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2021, 01:24:02 PM »
quantum proactive 2, same slate blue w/ yellow fingertip inserts.  Also fun, there was a little 3/4" diameter hole bored out of the side and Tom explained to me that they do that at professional events to check and make sure the ball is legal.

Is it still actually a hole (i.e. not filled?)?  If so, the USBC outlawed that in the last couple of years.

yeah seemed kinda weird at the time, but it never seemed to cause a problem. Just found it in the garage:

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2021, 10:09:03 PM »
when i was a kid Justin Hromek won the US Open and his local guy was Tom Warren who ran the pro shop where i did saturday morning league and Tom would just hang out in his shop watching the kids bowling so whenever you came in to his shop to get a ball he already knew how you rolled it and where to drill it, anyway one time i was in the market for a ball and he said "oh yeah Justin was in the other day and he decided he didn't want to use this ball anymore, it would probably be good for you" and i was like heck yes and that is still the ball in my bag and i'm worried one of these days i'm going to throw it and its just going to split in half because its so old.
So fun little kansas bowling fact. Justin Hromek is now Circle High School’s bowling coach. I bowled against his son in state and of course he was an absolute stud. We all sat at the same table . This kid was bowling 700 series in high school. Him and his dad’s game were identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2021, 12:18:49 AM »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2021, 10:07:34 AM »
quantum proactive 2, same slate blue w/ yellow fingertip inserts.  Also fun, there was a little 3/4" diameter hole bored out of the side and Tom explained to me that they do that at professional events to check and make sure the ball is legal.

Is it still actually a hole (i.e. not filled?)?  If so, the USBC outlawed that in the last couple of years.

yeah seemed kinda weird at the time, but it never seemed to cause a problem. Just found it in the garage:

Those side holes were used to balance weight, etc.  As DQ said the USBC outlawed them officially this past year, in an effort for 2 fingered bowlers to not have an advantage of 2 open holes.  Now you have to have a finger in every hole, or your ball doesn't qualify.  It has become a running joke in our league, that has now been overplayed.

BTW, I roll a Roto Grip UFO.  It's a bit too much for me to handle.  Used to avg a 210 with a Storm Virtual Gravity, and since I moved on to the UFO I have dropped to a 203.  Rolled a 687 last night though.... just less consistent now.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2021, 12:39:05 PM »
Finished the season last night with a 641.  Season avg will be about 201.5.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2021, 04:28:30 PM »
Won 30 bongos for having the highest handicap series in the league :gocho:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2021, 02:48:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/1381695347156606976?s=20

didn't realize the move was to hit it on the inside of one pin and have it ricochet off the wall back to the other pin.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
That's an enjoyable video for a lot of reasons.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2021, 06:46:19 PM »
That confused me yesterday. The little stat box at the bottom indicates the PBA tour average is 0.8%. If that means how often one picks up the spare in that situation, that’s 1 out of 125, which isn’t that mind-blowing to see happen. Maybe it meant how often a first roll results in a 7-10 split?

D-rew? Tin hat guy?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2021, 07:25:13 AM »
That confused me yesterday. The little stat box at the bottom indicates the PBA tour average is 0.8%. If that means how often one picks up the spare in that situation, that’s 1 out of 125, which isn’t that mind-blowing to see happen. Maybe it meant how often a first roll results in a 7-10 split?

D-rew? Tin hat guy?

Only the 4th 7-10 spare conversion in the history of televised PBA bowling.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2021, 12:18:26 PM »

D-rew? Tin hat guy?
Yeah a few things:

1. 7-10 splits are pretty rare, and become extremely rare at the pro level.  You just don't see it that often.  So not very many opportunities.
2. Picking it up is pretty heavily reliant on luck.  But obviously have to have the velocity and accuracy to hit the first pin in order to give yourself a chance.  A little less than 1 percent at the pro level is about what I'd expect.

FUN FACT: The 7-10 split isn't the rarest pickup at the pro level.  That distinction belongs to the "Greek Church" leave, where you have either 4-6-7-8-10.  Or the 4-6-7-9-10.  Basically three on one side, two on the other.
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/02/hardest_shot_in_bowling_it_s_not_the_7_10_split_it_s_the_greek_church.html

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2021, 12:40:08 PM »

D-rew? Tin hat guy?

Only the 4th 7-10 spare conversion in the history of televised PBA bowling.

I know, but there was no context, especially given that it's a 1-125 shot to know if that's a product of making the shot, or rough ridin' up and leaving a 7-10 split to begin with, or bowling not being on TV.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2021, 12:41:52 PM »

D-rew? Tin hat guy?
Yeah a few things:

1. 7-10 splits are pretty rare, and become extremely rare at the pro level.  You just don't see it that often.  So not very many opportunities.
2. Picking it up is pretty heavily reliant on luck.  But obviously have to have the velocity and accuracy to hit the first pin in order to give yourself a chance.  A little less than 1 percent at the pro level is about what I'd expect.

FUN FACT: The 7-10 split isn't the rarest pickup at the pro level.  That distinction belongs to the "Greek Church" leave, where you have either 4-6-7-8-10.  Or the 4-6-7-9-10.  Basically three on one side, two on the other.
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/02/hardest_shot_in_bowling_it_s_not_the_7_10_split_it_s_the_greek_church.html

So what was the order of oddities among: a pro having a 7-10 split, succeding at the 7-10 split, or that this happened to be a TV event?

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2021, 12:42:13 PM »
Another fun fact, if you pick up a 7-10 split in a sanctioned league, the USBC will send you a commemorative towel.  Teammate of mine picked one up a couple of years ago.  Only one I have seen in my 30 years of bowling.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2021, 12:53:47 PM »

D-rew? Tin hat guy?
Yeah a few things:

So what was the order of oddities among: a pro having a 7-10 split, succeding at the 7-10 split, or that this happened to be a TV event?
Well it happening on live tv is the oddest, because you have 3 rare things all coinciding: (1) bowling on tv; (2) leaving a 7-10; (3) picking it up.

In the macro, a pro leaving and picking up a 7-10 split isn't that crazy.  But it happening on live TV is.

It would be like a triple play happening in playoff baseball.  Not really all that many chances for teams to get a triple play to start with.  Then actually converting when you get a chance is rare beyond that.  It all occurring in the playoffs?  Pretty unlikely!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2021, 01:05:06 PM »
T-Y, and congrats to the tv network.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2021, 09:13:07 AM »
watched some youtube video where they made a bowling robot so they could try to figure out the science behind picking up a 7-10 and they concluded that there is no reliable way to do it because the only way to pick it up is for the pin to careen off one of the surrounding surfaces so literally the only way to pick it up is to get a lucky bounce.

also in the vein of the baseball analogy, i learned the other day that while perfect games are rare...even more rare is the immaculate inning (as in the pitcher strikes out all 3 batters in 9 pitches)

I remember in the 2015 All Star game Jacob deGrom struck out the side in 10 pitches, threw 1 ball, so close.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2021, 11:54:11 AM »
watched some youtube video where they made a bowling robot so they could try to figure out the science behind picking up a 7-10 and they concluded that there is no reliable way to do it because the only way to pick it up is for the pin to careen off one of the surrounding surfaces so literally the only way to pick it up is to get a lucky bounce.

That wouldn't be luck, it'd be hitting the pin at the right angle, speed, etc. to create that bounce.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2021, 02:38:23 PM »

That wouldn't be luck, it'd be hitting the pin at the right angle, speed, etc. to create that bounce.
Functionally speaking, luck.  You've got to throw it "right" to give yourself a chance, but beyond that, you need a lucky bounce.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2021, 02:58:17 PM »
If one could throw it right, like as right and as consistently as the robot, there’d be no luck. Everything else involved is static, the only variable is the throw. Be as good as the robot, no self-limitations.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2021, 04:00:17 PM »
If one could throw it right, like as right and as consistently as the robot, there’d be no luck. Everything else involved is static, the only variable is the throw. Be as good as the robot, no self-limitations.
Did you read BAC's post?  The robot couldn't pick it up every time. 

My guess is because of extremely slight variance in pin positioning from the pinsetter and oil conditions on the lane.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2021, 04:01:52 PM »

What about the inner housing around the pins that the 7/10 pin must ricochet off of or whatever. Are we sure those are all absolutely the same and consistent from lane to lane, venue to venue, etc.?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2021, 06:51:19 PM »
Man, if there is one thing I have learned from being a random sub on a bowling team its that bowlers LOVE to talk about the oil conditions.

I had no idea that was even a thing but yes, its a thing and people love to chat about it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2021, 07:58:18 PM »
Did you read BAC's post?  The robot couldn't pick it up every time. 

My guess is because of extremely slight variance in pin positioning from the pinsetter and oil conditions on the lane.

Yeah, but I assumed the robot did it and they were saying no human could match it.  Those other factors you mentioned would affect other rolls and pin placements too, so I guess evey bowling achievement involves some degree of luck.