Author Topic: It's trite and cliche, but...  (Read 7723 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: It's trite and cliche, but...
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 09:33:24 PM »

I love how we have 3 Rivals 150 guards and everyone over here is like, "our guard f*cking suck and my computer agrees".

BMW, on the other hand, thinks Releford, a guy rated around the same and who redshirted last season, will be the best guy on their team next year.

It's an interesting dynamic of cynicism and unbridled optimism

well 2 of them are sfs/2s on a team whose coach has never played less than 2 ball handlers.  the other one put up about the worst stats of any player in the big 12 his freshman season (barely seeing the court behind a no talent, no name freshman combo and a sr walkon with perhaps the most limited bball skills ever seen on a big 12 team).  so leaving releford entirely out of the conversation, i'm not sure how "interesting" it is, sugar dick.

besides, i bet southwell is unranked when the final rankings come out.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »

I love how we have 3 Rivals 150 guards and everyone over here is like, "our guard f*cking suck and my computer agrees".

BMW, on the other hand, thinks Releford, a guy rated around the same and who redshirted last season, will be the best guy on their team next year.

well 2 of them are sfs/2s on a team whose coach has never played less than 2 ball handlers.  the other one put up about the worst stats of any player in the big 12 his freshman season (barely seeing the court behind a no talent, no name freshman combo and a sr walkon with perhaps the most limited bball skills ever seen on a big 12 team).  so leaving releford entirely out of the conversation, i'm not sure how "interesting" it is, sugar dick.

I rough ridin' love sys

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »
McGruder at the 2 is less than ideal.  For example, can you imagine him leading a break like Pullen did last year?  I can't really.

If Pullen has to do ALL the ball-handling when he's on the court, I'd expect it to cut into his scoring.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 10:04:22 PM »
McGruder at the 2 is less than ideal.  For example, can you imagine him leading a break like Pullen did last year?  I can't really.

If Pullen has to do ALL the ball-handling when he's on the court, I'd expect it to cut into his scoring.

I'm going to get murdered for this, but we'll be better if Pullen scores a little less and handles the ball more.  At least given next years personel.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »
Pullen at the point is necessary for our success next year, and is good for his future also. I loved our freshmen last year, matter of fact
I was all :chainsaw: about the fact that mcgruder, wally, and jhr didn't get thrown into the fire alot more, should of let'm figure it out on
the court as we went imo. I'm optimistic about their improvement because I can remember vividly how inconsistent jake was and how
useless jamar used to be, wouldn't be surprised if jam made the same jump yr 2-yr 3 as he did last year.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »
Pullen at the point is necessary for our success next year, and is good for his future also. I loved our freshmen last year, matter of fact
I was all :chainsaw: about the fact that mcgruder, wally, and jhr didn't get thrown into the fire alot more, should of let'm figure it out on
the court as we went imo. I'm optimistic about their improvement because I can remember vividly how inconsistent jake was and how
useless jamar used to be, wouldn't be surprised if jam made the same jump yr 2-yr 3 as he did last year.

There's no such thing as optimism in Kansas State basketball.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 10:27:37 PM »

hmmm, interesting. . .
It's probably time to get back to watching youtube clips of high school boys basketball until the wee hours of the morning, afterall you are resident unpaid recruiting expert/internet message board link gatherer.  You probably watch more underage footage of sweaty dudes banging around than a homosexual pedophile.  Tell me this sys, do you get off watching those boy's weenies bounce while they play half speed AAU games?

sorry so mean

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 11:05:06 PM »

hmmm, interesting. . .
It's probably time to get back to watching youtube clips of high school boys basketball until the wee hours of the morning, afterall you are resident unpaid recruiting expert/internet message board link gatherer.  You probably watch more underage footage of sweaty dudes banging around than a homosexual pedophile.  Tell me this sys, do you get off watching those boy's weenies bounce while they play half speed AAU games?

sorry so mean

he sounds like either a democrat or a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), amirite, sugar dick?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »
are these minutes for the season or for big12 games and other games that actually matter? cause if it's for ALL games then i have a feeling everyone is drastically underestimating victor here.

Excellent point RD. I have a feeling Victor is the new Merri  :ohno:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 11:09:44 PM »
sorry so mean.

don't worry about it, sugar dick.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 11:12:25 PM »
are these minutes for the season or for big12 games and other games that actually matter? cause if it's for ALL games then i have a feeling everyone is drastically underestimating victor here.

Excellent point RD. I have a feeling Victor is the new Merri  :ohno:

Yeah, but at least we any team that can recruit would have a better chance of getting his brother by playing him. Energy had no upside.

FMP

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »
I like these offseason discussions.

Some thoughts:

It sounds like Pullen will get lots of minutes at PG, but that could shake out several ways.  If someone steps up that can handle PG duties, I think Pullen could slide over to play SG more, but that is up in the air.  Clearly, Frank has some options and we'll probably spend the OOC games (especially the "gimmees") seeing all kinds of different line-ups on the perimeter.  Irving and Russell will get their share, but I won't be shocked to see some 20+ minute games from both Myles and Sprads to see what they can do (if/when they "earn" it of course).  I also expect McGruder to get some minutes at the 2 b/c if he develops at all defensively, he should be our 2nd scoring option on the perimeter, and Frank will want to see him get 20 MPG (at least) splitting time at SG and SF (probably more at SF).  We'll have to see though, clearly he dropped off offensively as last season progressed and I'm hoping that was just some freshman funk and not an indication of what he really will become.  Southwell will likely be mixed there as well, he's really the wildcard of the group.  I think Sprads comes in as this years Russell; it seems the staff expects quite a bit of him and we'll have to see how he handles it. 

There is a lot of talk about Pullen and other "terrible" guards, but you've got to have some trust in Frank's pattern here.  I think its highly likely at least one of the options we have shows tremendous development from his FR to SO years, most likely Russell or McGruder.  I think Irving "is what he is" and will take on more of a Clent Stewart role, granted he's a different body-type/player.  But its good he'll take that role as a reserve and not the feature PG like Stew had to over his career.

With McGruds/Sutton at the SF spot (hopefully Sutton matures a little more and we won't see quite the fluctuation in production), I think it will be tough to justify JamSam at the SF spot unless its a specific match-up situation. 

Then you have the frontcourt which should be a major strenght.  If Kelly steps forward, he could be one of the best PFs in the league.  Wally Judge should be in that conversation as well, it will be interesting to see who becomes better, but both could be all-league types IMHO.  JamSam should also become a solid undersized PF to split minutes there.  I think there will be a transition period for Asprilla and his minutes will probably average under 20 on the year, but he'll vary based on match-ups.  One night he may get 12 minutes, and the next 25.  I also expect he'll struggle a bit with foul trouble at times to as he transitions to better competition.  We also can't forget he'll be basically out one year from competitive basketball, I mean he's basically been a practice player at Cloud.  Plus, he missed a good portion of his FR year with injury.  So to expect him to be some 20+ MPG game player seems a bit much, but perhaps the Art comments are correct and he'll prove me wrong.  Finally you have JHR, who I think will see minutes similar to this year as he continues to get his body into D1 condition.  He'll be a major contributer and impact games at times, then it will be tough to get him on the floor, probably similar to Asprilla.  But having a big body enforcer and a long athletic enforcer is never a bad thing, as long as both stay satisified with their roles.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 09:25:02 AM »
There is a lot of talk about Pullen and other "terrible" guards, but you've got to have some trust in Frank's pattern here.  I think its highly likely at least one of the options we have shows tremendous development from his FR to SO years, most likely Russell or McGruder.  I think Irving "is what he is" and will take on more of a Clent Stewart role, granted he's a different body-type/player.  But its good he'll take that role as a reserve and not the feature PG like Stew had to over his career.

No, I don't have to trust Frank's pattern.  All I know is he ran off a player that was good enough to get 20 minutes/game and 8 points a game for Irving and Russell, who couldn't come close to matching that production in the same backcourt.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 09:27:04 AM »

hmmm, interesting. . .

sorry so mean

he sounds like either a democrat or a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), amirite, sugar dick?

JFC, terrible post  :facepalm:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »

There's no such thing as optimism in Kansas State basketball.

qft. people never seem to understand this.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »

No, I don't have to trust Frank's pattern.  All I know is he ran off a player that was good enough to get 20 minutes/game and 8 points a game for Irving and Russell, who couldn't come close to matching that production in the same backcourt.

That's fair, but also extremely glass is half empty.  We'll see what happens.  I think both McGruder and Russell potentially can be better than Brown ever dreamed of being.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »

That's fair, but also extremely glass is half empty.  We'll see what happens.  I think both McGruder and Russell potentially can be better than Brown ever dreamed of being.

McGruder - maybe.  But he's a completely different player.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »

Yeah.  The Brown talking point isn't technically wrong, but it's likely going to go down a tree falling in the woods talking point.  Getting rid of him was the wrong move, but I doubt we actually ever miss him.  (no we didn't miss him this year)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 09:45:47 AM »
Yeah.  The Brown talking point isn't technically wrong, but it's likely going to go down a tree falling in the woods talking point.  Getting rid of him was the wrong move, but I doubt we actually ever miss him.  (no we didn't miss him this year)

Its clear Frank believed less is more when it came to Brown (and Anderson).  Definitely true with Anderson.  I can see the arguments for Brown, but whatever.  I'll let Frank run his team and if it gets him fired so be it, but I don't think getting rid of Brown will even remotely be a factor in that. 

I just can't get over that the best he could do after all that production is land at Lou-Mon, a pretty terrible low major program.  At least Anderson landed at a BCS school.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »
Jacob - 39
Curtis - 35
Wally - 35
Jamar - 30
Dominique - 30
Rodney - 15
Freddy - 5
Jordan - 5
Nick - 5
Martavious - 1

Perfection.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »
Jacob - 39
Curtis - 35
Wally - 35
Jamar - 30
Dominique - 30
Rodney - 15
Freddy - 5
Jordan - 5
Nick - 5
Martavious - 1

Perfection.

Sutton's going to play 15 mpg at off guard?  Interesting.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010, 02:39:22 PM »
Tall, lean, boarding, dunk machines.

That first 5 handles any other 5 we could put together.

Not close.

catzacker

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2010, 02:51:37 PM »

I'm going to get murdered for this, but we'll be better if Pullen scores a little less and handles the ball more.  At least given next years personel.

I'm terrified of pullen handling the ball as much as denis did.  maybe there wasn't that much of a disparity b/t denis and pullen's ball handling (<---lol)  but I think that more pullen = more turnovers.  I suppose the argument would be that compared to whatever scrub guard we have out there, pullen's turnovers (though they might be a lot) would be less than that scrub guard.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »
i gave up on the position minutes as too confusing, so just totals.  noting that pullen still gets lots of minutes off ball.

pullen 33
kelly 25
samuels 23
asprilla 20
judge 20
sutton 19
mcgruder 17
myles 16
russell 14 (right now, i don't know how to choose between myles, russell and spradling, i just know i don't want irving)
spradling 8
irving 5

trying to imagine a world where southwell, jhr and the short walkon pf don't get any minutes.  also hoping that the irving minutes are all at the start of the year and go to spradling and the others later on.

Looks about right, I think McGruder could get 20-25 mpg by the end of the year though.  As long as he can guard he is by far our second best offense player on the perimeter.  EMAW is going to be a load inside next year. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

catzacker

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »

IMO, pullen's "leap" between his fr and soph years was because he played as much as he did.  Irving and Russell, combined, didn't get as many minutes per game as pullen did his freshman year, nor were they, combined, as "productive" as pullen his freshman year.  I understand that the reason Irv/Russell didn't play as much was because we had guys in front of them in Denis and Jake that weren't there for Jake (Stew and Blake).  Rodney, of any of the guard-ish freshman, looks like he got the experience (and has the talent) to make a leap from his Fr to So years, and he'll be taking minutes away from Dom, not irv/russ.