Author Topic: Doomsday Prepers  (Read 19201 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Doomsday Prepers
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »
If winters is half as good at annihilating bad guys/zombie's in real life as he is while playing Halo we could be in control of the Limon/Hays/North Platte/Garden City quadrant in no time.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 09:01:11 PM »
I guess I don't understand the appeal of hoarding gold and silver and other precious metals in a SHTF scenario. What practical good are they?  They're heavy as crap and you can't eat it. Maybe melt it down to make bullets? Its useless as a "currency".  In a true breakdown the only currency will be food, medicine, booze and pussy.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 09:03:27 PM »
How do you prep that last thing
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

The Big Train

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 09:08:14 PM »
very carefully

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
I wish I knew

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 09:13:09 PM »

How do you prep that last thing

Provo may be the new capital city
:adios:

Offline BringBackEcoKat

• Fan
  • The Lady of Winters
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 11:30:41 PM »
Do you not know anything about history? Even when money has meant nothing gold has been valuable. That's why us currency was and should be backed by gold
'Cause Cats

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2015, 11:59:39 PM »
Do you not know anything about history? Even when money has meant nothing gold has been valuable. That's why us currency was and should be backed by gold
Not silverbacked?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
Informative thread.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2015, 08:37:05 AM »
A depression isn't the kind of SHTF scenario that you guys are making it out to be. The neighbors wouldn't come raid the Queen Winters clan for their canned corn. They'd be too busy becoming the modern-day Okies and getting out of one of the harshest regions of the United States in search of a paying job.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:45:12 AM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »

Probably not an argument you want to start unless you're ready to swing some serious economics lumber.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2015, 08:42:39 AM »
I think they mostly just think that the dollar is going to fail. When they wanted me to get gas the other day though, it was because of the halt in trading in NYC so they thought that we were under a cyber attack. They also think that China might get upset with us for owing them a few billion dollars so they could attack.

Why would China get upset with us for selling them bonds?

Offline BringBackEcoKat

• Fan
  • The Lady of Winters
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2015, 08:42:46 AM »
Bring it
'Cause Cats

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »
The thing is, you will need different stuff for different SHTF scenarios. So to plan for all of them you have to stockpile a crap load of stuff.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »
I think they mostly just think that the dollar is going to fail. When they wanted me to get gas the other day though, it was because of the halt in trading in NYC so they thought that we were under a cyber attack. They also think that China might get upset with us for owing them a few billion dollars so they could attack.

Why would China get upset with us for selling them bonds?

Yeah, I mean, I would think if you are in the market for low risk bonds, ones from us would be something easy to rely on.  If you want to see China panic, elect a tea partier that wanted us to default during 2008.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2015, 08:45:49 AM »
The thing is, you will need different stuff for different SHTF scenarios. So to plan for all of them you have to stockpile a crap load of stuff.

I haven't read one of these books.  On a scale of 1-6, how F'ed am I when the dollar fails?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2015, 08:45:52 AM »
I helped an old woman dig some trash out of a dumpster last week and was rewarded by her giving me some free advice.

She told me that I needed to stock up a years worth of food for every member of my family because Obama is building FEMA camps in every state and those who aren't prepared will be shipped to one of these camps. 70% of people aren't prepared for what's going to happen.

But she never told me what was going to happen!  :confused:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
I plan by watching post-apocalyptic movies/TV shows.

Did you guys watch Revolution? Do you think QW's parents would end up running the evil militia or fighting against it?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2015, 08:47:38 AM »

I haven't read one of these books.  On a scale of 1-6, how F'ed am I when the dollar fails?

I'd recommend reading The Grapes of Wrath. People in Western Kansas should read The Worst Hard Time. That would put you at about 2.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »

I'd recommend reading The Grapes of Wrath. People in Western Kansas should read The Worst Hard Time. That would put you at about 2.

Well, I am a solid 2.  I have also read other Steinbeck manuals for hard times, so I am going to just assume that makes me a 4.   :Woot:

Winter of Our Discontent also shows a family how to maneuver their way up again, so , maybe a 5? :dunno:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »
Bring it

How would you procure half of the world's gold to back our money supply? How would you divvy up the gold into small enough units to fit the money supply? Where will all the gold come from when economic policy dictates an increase in the money supply? How would you promote growth in an economy where the money supply is very difficult to increase? How would you hedge against deflationary crises?
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
I might become a prepper just so I can buy one of these.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »
In a SHTF scenario, Christians wouldn't pillage their neighbors, but I would keep an eye out for the atheist. :fitz:

Gonna win 'em all!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »

Well, I am a solid 2.  I have also read other Steinbeck manuals for hard times, so I am going to just assume that makes me a 4.   :Woot:

Winter of Our Discontent also shows a family how to maneuver their way up again, so , maybe a 5? :dunno:

Reading them all would make you a 1. Low numbers are better on a scaled of how F'ed you are.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2015, 08:57:32 AM »
I might become a prepper just so I can buy one of these.

Too top heavy.  Too many zombies, unprepped neighbors, or Chinese soldiers on top of that thing while turning and going like 30mph or higher, and you are on your side. 

Better get a truck with a big bed that can be way over loaded and with tires that can be patched without a compressor, Mr. Joad.