Author Topic: Conquering our fears, together.  (Read 12312 times)

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Conquering our fears, together.
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2015, 07:05:42 PM »
We're all gonna make it, bro's.

Also, Dentist for me. Not so much anymore but I once had a tooth extraction and watching a full grown man with a metal rod having to use his body weight to get that sucker out gave me some legit anxiety.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:15:05 PM by Goldbrick »

The Big Train

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2015, 09:10:44 PM »

Shots/needles. Nearly every time I get a shot I pass out. Even minor little things like a TB test. It's terrible.

A good piece of advice I was once told was to not look at it.  It also helps if the nurse is female because you can convince yourself that she is nice and is going to take good care of you.  If it is a guy nurse you have to go in with lots of bravado and you will try to do the flex thing with your arm and then it will hurt worse.

I've tried all the tricks, doesn't matter. If I lie down, sometimes I'll make it, but I've still passed out doing that. Occasionally I'll have a vasovagal response (basically a minor seizure) as well. I hate shots.

i used to have both of these reactions, then they started stabbing me so frequently that i got over it. when i got out of the hospital last summer, i gave myself my own blood thinner shots until my warfarin had started working.

i like to watch so i am prepared in case i need to do it myself

yep this is me too puni, also I have to watch or I get sick

The Big Train

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »
i have always had a fear of getting my throat slit as I sleep. I have gotten a lot better over the years but I could not go to sleep if something wasn't covering my throat, this is a problem during the summer if it's hot and I don't have the a/c cranked.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2015, 09:20:09 PM »
I sometimes have a fear that someone is under my car and is going to slice my Achilles tendon when I walk up next to my car.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »
why couldn't the person slitting your throat just remove the throat cover and then slit you?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

The Big Train

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
it would be the easiest throat slitting in history, but mentally even a pillow case over my throat makes me feel 100% better

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »
I am afraid of the dark  :frown:. Probably always will be, at this point  :blindfold:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2015, 10:11:57 PM »
I used to be afraid of aliens, but that was Robert Stack's fault. 

The void is still disturbing.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »

I am afraid of the dark  :frown:. Probably always will be, at this point  :blindfold:
what do you imagine is in the dark that might harm you?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2015, 12:00:28 AM »
spracs, i slept with the light on until college

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2015, 12:03:32 AM »

Gonna win 'em all!

G..g..g..ghosts!

Nothing, really.  If Satan and his demon army exist, then they would know better than to make their presence known to me, because if they did I'd suddenly be full on #TeamGod, and they would have no shot at my eternal soul. 

Mostly, I'm just bothered by the combination of my senses and tired brain in low light environments.  I often drift out of sleep and see vague shapes that my mind too hastily assigns meaning to, and it momentarily freaks me out.  I recognize the error, but the physiological effects still take a while to unwind.  I blame a vivid imagination and religious indoctrination. 

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2015, 12:33:44 AM »

Gonna win 'em all!

G..g..g..ghosts!

Nothing, really.  If Satan and his demon army exist, then they would know better than to make their presence known to me, because if they did I'd suddenly be full on #TeamGod, and they would have no shot at my eternal soul. 

Mostly, I'm just bothered by the combination of my senses and tired brain in low light environments.  I often drift out of sleep and see vague shapes that my mind too hastily assigns meaning to, and it momentarily freaks me out.  I recognize the error, but the physiological effects still take a while to unwind.  I blame a vivid imagination and religious indoctrination.

I used to have a lot of problems sleeping without some light on, especially when I was about 10ish and I moved from my room upstairs on the 2nd floor where everyone else was and the room I had been in since I was born to all the way in the basement. I hated it and it freaked me out a long time being down there, cut off from everyone else. My new room was next to the storage room where the HVAC and the sump pump was so I could hear them run every now and then so there was all these weird noises I had to get used to. Plus the room had like a skylight pit with a ladder for me to escape in case of fire, but all I could think of was someone using it to get down into my room and offing me in my sleep. So I would turn on the bathroom light just down the hall a bit as a security blanket, and did that until I moved up to K-State, and that's when having a roommate, and just a tiny crack of light that came from under the door when I was in Moore, or the light from Royal Towers that shone into the racks when I was in my fraternity in the sleeping dorm, that transformed needing light from a security thing, to just a safety thing so I didn't bang my leg into a dresser or whatnot if I had to use the restroom at night. Really, what got me over the fear of needing a light was just someone(s) else in the room that I was sleeping in, just the feeling of another set(s) of eyes and ears in case something happened just puts my mind at total ease. Now when I sleep in my apartment, even though I am alone, I don't turn any lights on, usually the light from the next door apartments coming through the blinds is just enough to get me to the restroom if need be, but I don't turn anything on in my apartment. I guess it was a weaning process for me, but there is still some (indirect) light still there. Related, I still have to go through every room and closet and pull back the bath tub shower curtain and make sure all the doors are locked before I can actually get in bed and go asleep.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
I found two copperheads in my retaining wall this weekend.  Nope.. nope nope... Formulating a plan... ideas have included napalm, ddt, acid, shotguns, AK-47s... whatever it takes.  I will NOT live with them. 
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2015, 11:03:11 AM »
My fear is living longer than the ones I love.  Especially WNKjr. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2015, 11:07:10 AM »
Terrified of heights

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2015, 11:17:52 AM »
I found two copperheads in my retaining wall this weekend.  Nope.. nope nope... Formulating a plan... ideas have included napalm, ddt, acid, shotguns, AK-47s... whatever it takes.  I will NOT live with them.

there's nothing you can do.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »

there's nothing you can do.

Sell your house.
@mikec2w

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2015, 11:30:03 AM »
they also aren't going to hurt you.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »

Well, they might if he accidentally steps on one or something.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »
or if one bites you

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »

Well, they might if he accidentally steps on one or something.

if they're in his wall, and he's walked around in that general area on a regular basis, he's stepped over and around them probably about a milllion times by now.  they don't go around biting humans just because a human is in their general area, any more than a squirrel would see a human walking nearby and decide to charge over and bite it.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
or if one bites you
Yeah, this. If it bites him or any of his pets, they're dead.  :frown:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
I thought copperheads were fairly aggressive for snakes?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »
If it bites him or any of his pets, they're dead.  :frown:

lol, no.  copperheads are not dangerous snakes.  a dog would get a swollen nose for a few days.  a human (unless he's allergic, which bigwillie isn't) would get a swollen hand that would go away in a few days on it's own, but since humans are giant wusses, the human would go the hospital and get some delicious morphine and a ridiculous medical bill.