Author Topic: Perfect city/area to live  (Read 12225 times)

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect city/area to live
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2015, 11:33:32 AM »
Cali is overrated. I'd do Dallas (or surrounding area) or Austin.
@Trogdor_gE

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »
San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach

both super hipstery and super rednecky.

i can't think of anywhere that isn't at least one of the two.  maybe on the east coast.
The vacationers are rednecky for sure but I don't think of it as very hipstery at all. At least relative to the west coast.

It's also difficult to find a place that is not too cold and not too hot outside of the west coast.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »

:lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »
Also, I think midwestern college towns offer the best bang for the buck if you have a family and like the arts and sports.

You generally have good schools and can live in a real walkable neighborhood unlike most inner cities/suburbs.

But again most are too cold/hot. Bloomington would probably be very nice.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
Along those lines I was going to suggest Davis, CA. 15 minutes to Sacramento, 90 to sf. Smaller and walkable/bikeable

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2015, 12:15:49 PM »
You're going to love Winter Garden, Florida.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:18:59 PM by Winters »
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »
Looks like OKC has set up a series of parameters which pretty much means Genericsville USA.   

Don't want Rednecks/NASCAR than prepare yourself for an urban hipster setting.   Don't want hipsters, than prepare yourself for Rednecks/NASCAR . . . the closest thing in between is suburban outliers filled with boring people, generic subdivisions/McMansions/strip malls and plenty of Dicks/Academy Sports/Lowes/Home Depot/Starbucks/Smoothies/Faux Urban Shopping Areas/Ghost Town Shopping malls.

Good luck!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2015, 12:19:10 PM »
Along those lines I was going to suggest Davis, CA. 15 minutes to Sacramento, 90 to sf. Smaller and walkable/bikeable

Hot

but a very nice suggestion

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »
Not as shitty hot as ok tho

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2015, 12:21:15 PM »
kauai. it's not as expensive as you'd think. no rednecks and the hipsters are adorable surfer type hipster and not dress like a Mennonite and use a mechanical type writer at the coffee shop hipster. weather better than any place mentioned so far.

My dad knows a guy who moved there and but then moved back as soon as his work contract was over (a few years) because the cost of living was so high.

relative to KS/OK everywhere's cost of living is high

Well even with the increased salary he got there he had way less discretionary spending money.

you will not find a better place to live than the central plains states if that is the deciding factor for you. I'd guess Kauai is much cheaper than San Francisco, much more expensive than Wichita, and roughly comparable to Seattle as far as cost of living goes. the thing about places that are expensive to live at is they are expensive because people want to live there, shitty places have low cost of living because people don't want to live there. this is pete's invisible hand in action.

In talking to a couple of jobs in Hawaii, it seemed like a big deal to be on an island that had some big box stores to help keep price down.  Kauai is not one of those islands, which is also it's appeal to some people.  I would think housing is quite a bit cheaper than in San Francisco but buying the random every day stuff and utilities would be pricier. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2015, 12:26:08 PM »
kauai. it's not as expensive as you'd think. no rednecks and the hipsters are adorable surfer type hipster and not dress like a Mennonite and use a mechanical type writer at the coffee shop hipster. weather better than any place mentioned so far.

My dad knows a guy who moved there and but then moved back as soon as his work contract was over (a few years) because the cost of living was so high.

Well even with the increased salary he got there he had way less discretionary spending money.

you will not find a better place to live than the central plains states if that is the deciding factor for you. I'd guess Kauai is much cheaper than San Francisco, much more expensive than Wichita, and roughly comparable to Seattle as far as cost of living goes. the thing about places that are expensive to live at is they are expensive because people want to live there, shitty places have low cost of living because people don't want to live there. this is pete's invisible hand in action.

In talking to a couple of jobs in Hawaii, it seemed like a big deal to be on an island that had some big box stores to help keep price down.  Kauai is not one of those islands, which is also it's appeal to some people.  I would think housing is quite a bit cheaper than in San Francisco but buying the random every day stuff and utilities would be pricier.

definitely, gas prices being a big one as well.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »

definitely, gas prices being a big one as well.

Yea - eff gas.  Moving to Hawaii would involve me getting big ass solar panels and Tesla

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2015, 12:37:06 PM »

What is the driving time to get to one of the other islands that has a store?

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »
some "close, but not exactly" places that came to mind:
Carson City - like mountains/outdoor stuff? probably not tipping the liberal side of the scale
SLO - can confirm. not near a big city, but I enjoyed it there
Charlottesville - enjoyed Virginia, not as rednecky as expected
Prescott - not "near" a big city

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »
The vacationers are rednecky for sure but I don't think of it as very hipstery at all. At least relative to the west coast.

It's also difficult to find a place that is not too cold and not too hot outside of the west coast.

pismo prob isn't v. hipstery.  downtown slo is hipstery as hell relative to anywhere not in the bay area.  ever go to the slo farmers market?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »

pismo prob isn't v. hipstery.  downtown slo is hipstery as hell relative to anywhere not in the bay area.  ever go to the slo farmers market?
No but I've been to downtown SLO for dinner and it just seemed college-towny.  It felt less hipstery than say, la or Portland or Eugene or Seattle or Westport.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2015, 01:59:36 PM »
I love this place. It's like Siri but with personality (the word?)

Here's another qualification....airline prices. If we move far away, then the mrs will want to visit her people from time to time.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »
Just move to Vegas. Cheap flights and party 24/7. Fun for the whole family
@Trogdor_gE

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2015, 02:02:23 PM »

If you ask Rick Daris he'll tell you Dallas is the new Los Angeles. 
@lopakman

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »

If you ask Rick Daris he'll tell you Dallas is the new Los Angeles.

What does that even mean?
@Trogdor_gE

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »
it's pretty self explanatory
@lopakman

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »

Just move to Vegas. Cheap flights and party 24/7. Fun for the whole family

Seems too hot though

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
Tacoma is a pretty good suggestion.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
cairo, egypt

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2015, 02:13:07 PM »
Trim related: would I be verbally and/or physically assaulted if I wore a thunder shirt there? Kind of important