Author Topic: Perfect city/area to live  (Read 12244 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect city/area to live
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2015, 08:45:06 AM »
my father goes to asheville every summer, dobber.  he seems to like it.  always mentions that it's surprisingly not hot.  also some long ago sys ancestors used to live in that area, apparently.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »
my father goes to asheville every summer, dobber.  he seems to like it.  always mentions that it's surprisingly not hot.  also some long ago sys ancestors used to live in that area, apparently.
Stopped in Asheville for BBQ on the way back from Charleston last summer (Which should also be on this list)  Really liked the vibe to the area (and the BBQ was amazing) though traffic was much worse than I would have expected for a city that size (like, multi-mile long stopped traffic during rush hour in a metro area comparable to Wichita)  The countryside is top notch, even though its about an hour from the true Appalachians, its still very verdant and rugged to drive though.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
I'm a big fan of the KC area (Home/family/all 4 seasons/know all the fishing holes/etc) but if I had to move somewhere its would be

- No further north than Chicago - I couldn't take the winters  :frown:

- No further west than the Sierra Nevada mts - Originally I was going to say the Rockies but I wouldn't mind living in a MTN town, have no desire to live on the west coast.

- No further east than the Appalachians - Really this is just for the Northeast. I would definitely enjoy the Carolinas.

- No Further South than Houston/Tampa - Is there even anything South of Houston?

Obviously I would rule some places out inside that area (Rust Belt) but everything else would be okay in my book.

I visited Tampa once as a kid and fell in love with the idea of it. In my mind 12 year old ben ji could have his own jet ski and put put around the bay all day visiting random islands.  :love: :love: :love: I have a buddy that lives there now and loves it. So yeah, Tampa would be #1 on my list.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2015, 11:10:17 AM »
See, I want to live in a city, but I don't want to live around people.

i think cinc you've lived there you've developed a bit of innati tude problem

I forgot to compliment you for this post yesterday.  Well done, almost Spracne-esque wordplay.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »
I think of Asheville as perhaps the most hipstery location in the South

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »

I think of Asheville as perhaps the most hipstery location in the South
that isn't saying much. It's the south.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2015, 11:21:45 AM »
asheville is very hipstery

Online Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »
I'm a big fan of the KC area (Home/family/all 4 seasons/know all the fishing holes/etc) but if I had to move somewhere its would be

- No further north than Chicago - I couldn't take the winters  :frown:

- No further west than the Sierra Nevada mts - Originally I was going to say the Rockies but I wouldn't mind living in a MTN town, have no desire to live on the west coast.

- No further east than the Appalachians - Really this is just for the Northeast. I would definitely enjoy the Carolinas.

- No Further South than Houston/Tampa - Is there even anything South of Houston?

Obviously I would rule some places out inside that area (Rust Belt) but everything else would be okay in my book.

I visited Tampa once as a kid and fell in love with the idea of it. In my mind 12 year old ben ji could have his own jet ski and put put around the bay all day visiting random islands.  :love: :love: :love: I have a buddy that lives there now and loves it. So yeah, Tampa would be #1 on my list.
You're going to love Winter Garden, Florida.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2015, 03:48:11 PM »
I've been convinced that the greater Tacoma/Seattle area is a winner. This thread is now about how Dax would be a good hoa guy

Tacoma is Wichita, with a big freaking volcano in the background.  Lots of meth and rednecks.  Also, really great if you enjoy wearing a parka on the 4th of July. Also, what are your thoughts on earthquakes?

Parts of Seattle area are nice . . . but def high in hipster (formerly grunge) content.  Like, there is no way to avoid hipsters in all of western Washington.

You could go Port Townsend or Bainbridge Island  . . . would be a nice, wet life.  Good coffee though. And Bainbridge is a 20-30 min ferry ride away from Seattle, which is a fun way to get to the downtown of a big city.

Don't bring umbrellas.  Only dorks use umbrellas.

I'm not sure why Tacoma's in the mix anyway, but don't wear a parka on the 4th of July in either place.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2015, 04:07:44 PM »
People are going to die on Sunday.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »

I replaced that little "blizzard" fan that went the way of #TrimsStuff yesterday.  20% off at BB&B plus 5x URs on the last day of the chase freedom period!

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »

I replaced that little "blizzard" fan that went the way of #TrimsStuff yesterday.  20% off at BB&B plus 5x URs on the last day of the chase freedom period!

Friend who lives in Portland acts like they are dying up there....talked to him today and said he had 3 fans running on him.  godspeed PNW!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »
Spending a lot more time in the midwest and wow, the jort factor, but I digress.

The South has way more hipster places than the Midwest and Asheville is certainly one of them.   Not going to work for a dude looking for non hipster, and no NASCAR types nearby area. 

Charlotte is moving up, but very hipstery in Midtown/Downtown and too big, plus close to NASCAR.   

Again, still think planned gated community with new/old fake shopping district and big box stores right outside the gates is the way to go.   

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2015, 06:53:33 PM »

Spending a lot more time in the midwest and wow, the jort factor, but I digress.

The South has way more hipster places than the Midwest and Asheville is certainly one of them.   Not going to work for a dude looking for non hipster, and no NASCAR types nearby area. 

Charlotte is moving up, but very hipstery in Midtown/Downtown and too big, plus close to NASCAR.   

Again, still think planned gated community with new/old fake shopping district and big box stores right outside the gates is the way to go.
Charlotte is close to NASCAR? :lol:

Charlotte IS NASCAR.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2015, 07:00:12 PM »

Charlotte is close to NASCAR? :lol:

Charlotte IS NASCAR.

Gonna win 'em all!

The NASCAR Museum downtown is a total dud, and losing money.   Downtown Charlotte, midtown and related neighborhoods are filled with banking, finance and legal types who don't care about NASCAR unless they're bankrolling or representing somebody in the business.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:17 PM »

Friend who lives in Portland acts like they are dying up there....talked to him today and said he had 3 fans running on him.  godspeed PNW!

I'm taking some fan action shots right now while not moving from my position on the couch.  Sit tight.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2015, 07:27:05 PM »

Look across the way and up and to the right - old school box fan precariously on the unscreened window ledge!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2015, 07:40:28 PM »
I have only been to Charlotte once but the people seemed incredibly friendly and not in a fake southern way but in a they're genuinely nice people to be around way. But maybe they fooled me, who knows!?!

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2015, 07:44:32 PM »
Nice fan setup Trim

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:25 PM »
so rough ridin' wierd
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2015, 08:55:59 PM »

I have only been to Charlotte once but the people seemed incredibly friendly and not in a fake southern way but in a they're genuinely nice people to be around way. But maybe they fooled me, who knows!?!
Raleigh area and Charlotte area are both full of nice people. I think most places are full of nice people.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2015, 12:35:24 AM »
it's pretty clear that ft. collins, co is the superior choice
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »
I think they have plenty of potrait photographers at the sears in ft collins.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »
Just try to shoot down Cary, NC. The entire Asheville thing was just smoke and mirrors.

Gonna win 'em all!