Author Topic: The Trump Candidacy  (Read 441432 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Candidacy
« Reply #5325 on: October 27, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »
you guys just ignoring rough ridin' eagles now? you murder one you go to prison, unless you're in the pocket of BIG GREEN ENERGY

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: October 27, 2016, 09:29:20 AM »
I do think he is right about them being very expensive...at least in the construction process.  I have been involved in the construction of a few of these in Kansas.  The cost of the projects are unbelievably high.  I've heard that the only reason they are viable at this point is due to the government subsidies for clean power.  Thus, if the subsidies weren't available you wouldn't see near as many facilities being constructed.  To be fair, I haven't seen any numbers regarding the how long it takes for them to "pay for themselves" with the power they generate once operational.  The construction cost just seems to be so high that it would take forever to pay off.

It is also interesting that most of the windfarms being constructed in Kansas are by out of state entities.  I think the one we are currently working on is being funded by at least in part by Google (at least that is what I heard).

This tells you they are profitable.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: October 27, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »
I do think he is right about them being very expensive...at least in the construction process.  I have been involved in the construction of a few of these in Kansas.  The cost of the projects are unbelievably high.  I've heard that the only reason they are viable at this point is due to the government subsidies for clean power.  Thus, if the subsidies weren't available you wouldn't see near as many facilities being constructed.  To be fair, I haven't seen any numbers regarding the how long it takes for them to "pay for themselves" with the power they generate once operational.  The construction cost just seems to be so high that it would take forever to pay off.

It is also interesting that most of the windfarms being constructed in Kansas are by out of state entities.  I think the one we are currently working on is being funded by at least in part by Google (at least that is what I heard).

Possibly....the farm down by Howard was constructed by an entity from Tennessee if I remember correctly.  As I understood it, they were required to construct it to offset the amount of energy used/generated from "dirty energy".  Also, are they profitable if the government subsidies aren't there?  I mean, just the turbines for a farm out by Dodge cost $300 million.  That doesn't include any other components, infrastructure improvements, or construction costs.
@mikec2w

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: October 27, 2016, 09:40:13 AM »
Best-looking power? Probably hydro, right?

Hoover dam isn't sexy. Impressive but not sexy.  How about natural gas with its sexy stacks?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: October 27, 2016, 09:42:56 AM »
Dams is def the best looking
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: October 27, 2016, 09:43:43 AM »
Solar panels are fine.  I mean, in small amts, they are basically shiny roofs.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: October 27, 2016, 09:59:55 AM »
“I will do anything that is basically covered by the law to reduce Berkshire’s tax rate,” Buffett told an audience in Omaha, Nebraska this weekend. “For example, on wind energy, we get a tax credit if we build a lot of wind farms. That’s the only reason to build them. They don’t make sense without the tax credit.”

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: October 27, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »

Possibly....the farm down by Howard was constructed by an entity from Tennessee if I remember correctly.  As I understood it, they were required to construct it to offset the amount of energy used/generated from "dirty energy".  Also, are they profitable if the government subsidies aren't there?  I mean, just the turbines for a farm out by Dodge cost $300 million.  That doesn't include any other components, infrastructure improvements, or construction costs.
what's the cost to build a new coal or gas fired plant?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: October 27, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »

Elon Musk and Solar City are going to introduce their new solar shingle product tomorrow.  Supposed to be similar to a traditional roof shingle in look and function.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: October 27, 2016, 10:22:08 AM »

Elon Musk and Solar City are going to introduce their new solar shingle product tomorrow.  Supposed to be similar to a traditional roof shingle in look and function.

There was another company trying to do this several years ago.  Will be a game changer if it is reasonably affordable. 

I have also heard of a company that was out of New Mex that is working with German power companies right now on printable solar panels.  Evidently, they are something like 30% more efficient than current market panels and consist of a solar ink/paint substance that they print on foil.  So it's super light weight too.  Solar paint would be amaze.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: October 27, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »

There was another company trying to do this several years ago.  Will be a game changer if it is reasonably affordable. 

I have also heard of a company that was out of New Mex that is working with German power companies right now on printable solar panels.  Evidently, they are something like 30% more efficient than current market panels and consist of a solar ink/paint substance that they print on foil.  So it's super light weight too.  Solar paint would be amaze.

Luna I think is who you are talking about.  Some dude in Detroit has been doing it for a decade but obviously can't scale. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: October 27, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
When the government claimed that they weren't going to extend the tax credits on wind farms the number of proposed wind farms went to zero. After they got pushback and extended them, wind farms started getting built. All you need to know if they're feasible or not.

Just an FYI that a lot of people don't realize. Like 98+% of the electricity generated via Kansas wind farms goes out of state.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: October 27, 2016, 10:41:56 AM »

:dunno:
@mikec2w

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: October 27, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
If coal or natural gas power plants were subsidized and OKed environmentally, you'd see a plethora of them built. The free money is with green energy.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: October 27, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »

It's a lot

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5340 on: October 27, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
Quote from: Some study from 2008
In fact, the estimated costs of building new coal plants
have reached $3,500 per kW, without financing costs, and are still expected to increase
further. This would mean a cost of well over $2 billion for a new 600 MW coal plant when
financing costs are included.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/91d3/bd08c6672492fda5e14484abecea86117ad6.pdf

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »
Quote from: Some study from 2008
In fact, the estimated costs of building new coal plants
have reached $3,500 per kW, without financing costs, and are still expected to increase
further. This would mean a cost of well over $2 billion for a new 600 MW coal plant when
financing costs are included.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/91d3/bd08c6672492fda5e14484abecea86117ad6.pdf

I wonder why that is? :dunno:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: October 27, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: October 27, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
Obsessed with sex, just like the media (  :curse:  ), smdh

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: October 27, 2016, 02:47:47 PM »
Megyn probably designed that plant.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: October 27, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »
Best-looking power? Probably hydro, right?

hydro can be very sexy.  i think a lot of the others can be attractive as well, a lot of it is a question of design.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: October 27, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »

Natural gas is pretty cheap relative. The real way to compare across is $/MWh

The thing is, wind, and especially solar is continuing to go down in price over time. The biggest hindrances those have though is demand loading and energy storage (sun not shining, wind not blowing). That being said,d I've also thought solar was a great solution to reduce summer time load, after all, your greatest demand on the grid is in the summer time, and when does solar work the best? Oh yeah, when it's hot and sunny out. I've also never been bothered by wind turbines when i see them, always thing of their energy production when I see them turning and it makes me very :)

IMO though, I'd like to see a lot more investment in fusion power, it's still be "20 years off" for like 50 years, but its success basically solves every problem with energy production. Doesn't get much better than literally harnessing the power of the sun.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: October 27, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »
:dance:
D :dance:
CHESS :dance:

Issenberg, the author of The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns, is well versed in this sort of science, and “no scientific basis” is almost an understatement — if you know anything about the basics of political science or data analysis, or both, you know that the idea that a last-second burst of Facebook posts could flip any meaningful number of people from voters to nonvoters is fairly bonkers, and doubly bonkers when you’re targeting a group which has exhibited an historic amount of animus toward your candidate.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/10/is-the-trump-campaign-getting-scammed-by-data-hucksters.html

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #5349 on: October 27, 2016, 11:20:51 PM »
When the government claimed that they weren't going to extend the tax credits on wind farms the number of proposed wind farms went to zero. After they got pushback and extended them, wind farms started getting built. All you need to know if they're feasible or not.

Just an FYI that a lot of people don't realize. Like 98+% of the electricity generated via Kansas wind farms goes out of state.

People are extremely stupid about wind, that it's profitable without subsidies, that the technology is new or improving, that it's efficient.

Solar is all of those things except efficient, but is even a larger loss item.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd