Author Topic: T's and P's for our little brother (Beems, Spracne, etc) down the Kaw  (Read 6511 times)

Offline Cannoncat

• Fan
  • What say we settle this on the runway... Han-Solo?
    • View Profile
Kansas University football coach David Beaty announced three significant changes to the KU football roster on Tuesday and each figures to have a hefty impact on the upcoming 2015 season.

Linebacker Jake Love is retiring from football for medical reasons. Running back Corey Avery and wide receiver Rodriguez Coleman both have been dismissed from the program following indefinite suspensions for violating undisclosed team rules this spring.

No further information for the dismissal was included.

Beaty also announced that incoming freshman Shola Ayinde, a cornerback from Richmond, Texas, will delay his enrollment at KU and has not reported to campus.

As a true freshman in 2014, Avery led the Jayhawks with 151 carries, 631 yards and five touchdowns. Coleman missed most of last season because of discipline issues, but had one of the best 2014 springs of anyone on the roster and always loomed as a potential breakout player. It never quite materialized, however, and in his two seasons with the Jayhawks, the former junior college standout finished with just 245 yards and one touchdown on 11 receptions in 18 games.

Had Avery and Coleman remained on the roster, both would have been strong candidates to lead the Jayhawks in rushing and receiving during 2015.

In addition to the dismissal of two of the offense's top weapons, the loss of Love takes away another sure starter on defense. Love, who graduated with a communications degree in May, finished fourth on the team with 53 tackles in 2014. Those numbers included three sacks — good for second on the team — and 9.5 tackles for loss.

During his KU career, the Tonkawa, Oklahoma, native, who red-shirted in 2011, finished with 107 tackles while often playing in the shadows of future NFL draft pick Ben Heeney.

“When I think of Jake Love, I think of a hard-nosed, tough, physical football player,” Beaty said in a press release. “We are going miss his leadership and tenacity on the field, but we will also miss having a guy out there with the experience he has playing in the Big 12. With that said, nothing is more important than his health and him being able to have a long, productive future outside of football. I am really happy he got his degree and we wish him the best as he moves forward.”

In the release, Love also expressed his gratitude for the opportunity to play KU football for the past four seasons.

“I have met so many amazing people on this journey and consider many of them family,” he said. “Unfortunately, I have been advised not to play football anymore due to medical reasons. I am thankful that KU has given me the option to start working on my master’s degree in the fall and it’s something I look forward to.

“I wish coach Beaty and his staff nothing but the best moving forward and will be cheering from the stands come September 5. I (also) would like to thank the fans who have supported me through thick and thin and my parents who have been there for me since day one.”

The loss of three front-line players with legitimate experience certainly qualifies as another blow to an already-thin KU team. Because of failed junior-college transfer experiments during the past few seasons, the Jayhawks will open the season with at least a dozen fewer scholarship players than most schools and will attempt to fill the void by developing and using walk-ons to add depth.

Beyond that, those players who have played a meaningful number of snaps during their college careers, in most cases, were reserves or role players and never have been counted on as leaders or go-to guys.

That may hinder KU's chances to keep up, especially against Big 12 Conference foes, but Beaty will not allow the depleted roster to keep the Jayhawks from competing as hard as possible on a weekly basis.

“The number one thing I was looking for when we started looking at our needs, was roster management — getting the depth that we need and still getting the type of players that we need,” explained Beaty shortly after being hired. “But you've gotta have the depth. You might have the best player in the world, but if he gets hurt and there's air behind him how are you gonna play the game?”

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:07:32 AM by Cannoncat »
"Round house kick to the butt hole!"-Kstate vs Aggie 53-50, 2011.

"Charlie Weis is the same mistake he ever was"-Gregg Doyel CBS

"Good people deserve good things."-Fatty4ksu

"The heart break kid!"-Winters

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: T's and P's for our little brother down the Kaw
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:01:08 PM »
Man... KU football is hurting  :frown:

Offline Cannoncat

• Fan
  • What say we settle this on the runway... Han-Solo?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:22:38 PM »
No no you got it all wrong, hurting MORE and MORE everyday  :frown:
"Round house kick to the butt hole!"-Kstate vs Aggie 53-50, 2011.

"Charlie Weis is the same mistake he ever was"-Gregg Doyel CBS

"Good people deserve good things."-Fatty4ksu

"The heart break kid!"-Winters

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:35:05 PM »
Some investigative reporting from cannoncat
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:49:38 PM »
Some investigative reporting from cannoncat

yes. great job on getting those quotes, cannon.  :thumbs:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
They night make a strong case for worst big xii team in history. Maybe even worst p5 team in history. Pretty cool
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:43:30 AM »
They night make a strong case for worst big xii team in history. Maybe even worst p5 team in history. Pretty cool

Would take. Then maybe SI could run an article declaring KU the "Real Futility U" because that's what KU FB is.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
not sure why this needed a new thread, but cannoncat I guess

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why can't KU get their crap together and field a competitive football team? It's not that hard. Even TCU can do it.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Why can't KU get their crap together and field a competitive football team? It's not that hard. Even TCU Baylor Texas Tech can do it.
FYP

Offline i poo crabs

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Why can't KU get their crap together and field a competitive football team? It's not that hard. Even TCU Baylor Texas Tech Iowa State can do it.
FYP

FYP

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :thumbs:

Offline DeoKat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Why can't KU get their crap together and field a competitive football team? It's not that hard. Even TCU Baylor Texas Tech Iowa State DOOK can do it.
FYP

FYP

FYP
When you succeed at Illinois you go to Kansas and when you fail at Illinois, you go to Kansas State

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
When has ISU ever been competitive?

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
is it always a bad thing if you don't return your stars from garbage teams?  sounds like beatty is killing off the polar bears and sending that iceberg straight for our cruise ship

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They had some nice 6-6 teams not to long ago. They battled for the north back in the day, when the whole north was down.  :frown:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:14:36 AM by WackyCat08 »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
is it always a bad thing if you don't return your stars from garbage teams?  sounds like beatty is killing off the polar bears and sending that iceberg straight for our cruise ship

Our asphalt parking lot will melt it before it gets within 100 yards of us.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
It hurts real bad  :frown:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They had some nice 6-6 teams not to long ago. They battled for the north back in the day, when the whole north was down.  :frown:

The last time I was in Ames I was in a bar trying to drink the Iowa away and I struck up a conversation with some college aged dudes who claimed ISU was the 2004 North Co-Champs.  I asked them who they played in the Big 12 Co-Championship game and then it got quiet and awkward.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :lol:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 02:07:38 PM »
Quote from: phog.net

And the curse of firing an Orange Bowl winning coach continues.

Beatty needs to plead to Zenger to invite him back and give him a reception. Also put Todd in the circle of fame. Start admitting that 08 team existed and start healing.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Time to get out to Munjor and get some walk on replacements

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
not sure why this needed a new thread, but cannoncat I guess

hey, this is fattyfest week. show some respect.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile

A+ post right there.