Author Topic: GolfCats  (Read 73714 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: GolfCats
« Reply #975 on: July 31, 2023, 08:21:06 AM »
There is an underground titty bar in grinnell where you can score a little toot, if that tilts the balance for anyone.

This is a wonderful sentence.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: July 31, 2023, 08:41:16 AM »
There is an underground titty bar in grinnell where you can score a little toot, if that tilts the balance for anyone.

This is a wonderful sentence.

yes, also I'm fascinated by the logistics of this operation. pretty standard set up outside of the fact that it's GRINNELL KANSAS.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 31, 2023, 09:28:05 AM »
The Grinnell locker is where my dad gets his beef, maybe it's there?!?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 10, 2023, 01:22:17 PM »
Any golf pro tips? I never played when younger as I was poor. Been really trying this year and while I was def seeing improvement, I have fallen way off the wagon again somehow and can barely hit the rough ridin' ball right now. Like I was working on different things and hitting good shots then, bam... Its enraging. I've always been pretty decent at whatever sport I played or tried, but this crap is hard for me for some reason. I'll take a lesson and get back on track and then it all just goes to crap again. Any pro tips to help me get back on track? Not trying to win or anything, just want to be able to play a round and not rough ridin' hate it.

TIA

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 10, 2023, 01:27:27 PM »
Any golf pro tips? I never played when younger as I was poor. Been really trying this year and while I was def seeing improvement, I have fallen way off the wagon again somehow and can barely hit the rough ridin' ball right now. Like I was working on different things and hitting good shots then, bam... Its enraging. I've always been pretty decent at whatever sport I played or tried, but this crap is hard for me for some reason. I'll take a lesson and get back on track and then it all just goes to crap again. Any pro tips to help me get back on track? Not trying to win or anything, just want to be able to play a round and not rough ridin' hate it.

TIA

If you succeed in doing this, please let me know how ...

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 10, 2023, 01:49:26 PM »

TIA

If you succeed in doing this, please let me know how ...

ha. Like, I have no intention of ever being "good" at this point, I just want to not chunk 90% of my shots and enjoy the day. I was 100% certain this would be possible with somewhat consistent practice and some lessons. Now I'm seriously considering the fact that this isn't my sport and it may never happen.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 10, 2023, 01:52:48 PM »
Buddy, most of us are hacks. Just being able to make your way around the course without injuring anyone is the goal. Unless, of course, you're Wacky allegedly dominating a Catholic Charities tournament with his in-laws.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 10, 2023, 02:10:59 PM »
Buddy, most of us are hacks. Just being able to make your way around the course without injuring anyone is the goal. Unless, of course, you're Wacky allegedly dominating a Catholic Charities tournament with his in-laws.

The other day I was having a miserable round made worse by actually hitting the ball pretty well earlier in the week. I had basically given up and was just trying to get through 9 so I could get the eff out of there. Hit my drive ok, second shot directly behind a tree in front of the green. I was about to kick it to the side and I thought, eff it, may as well try and get on the green. Nailed 120 yard shot over the tree and within 10 ft. I just laughed because I know it was the head of all golf that was watching and knew I was about to quit so he let me have that last shot so I would come back. eff that guy.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 10, 2023, 02:37:24 PM »

The other day I was having a miserable round made worse by actually hitting the ball pretty well earlier in the week. I had basically given up and was just trying to get through 9 so I could get the eff out of there. Hit my drive ok, second shot directly behind a tree in front of the green. I was about to kick it to the side and I thought, eff it, may as well try and get on the green. Nailed 120 yard shot over the tree and within 10 ft. I just laughed because I know it was the head of all golf that was watching and knew I was about to quit so he let me have that last shot so I would come back. eff that guy.

I don't even hit my driver, because I can't (probably need to get fitted). I hit 3-wood at the tee box, instead, because I'm weirdly good with that club. Still, it's nice to be outside and active, so let's just revel in our shittiness together  :Woohoo:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 10, 2023, 02:57:40 PM »

I don't even hit my driver, because I can't (probably need to get fitted). I hit 3-wood at the tee box, instead, because I'm weirdly good with that club. Still, it's nice to be outside and active, so let's just revel in our shittiness together  :Woohoo:

:cheers:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #985 on: October 10, 2023, 04:25:10 PM »
Honestly, take lessons. Learn a proper address and swing. Might feel awkward AF at first but will pay dividends in the long run.

Then practice putting and chipping 60-75% of your range time. Most of the balance of time with short irons and minimal time with a driver/3wood.

Also, don't worry about tee box bullshit. Hit from the box on a Par 4 that will allow you to hit 7iron or less into a green. Nobody has fun hitting driver 5iron all day. When you start smacking the ball longer, move back a tee set.

I wish the rest of the golf world would follow that last paragraph. Way too many 100+ golfers swinging from the blues and black when they should be up at the whites or yellows.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 10, 2023, 04:56:47 PM »
Honestly, take lessons. Learn a proper address and swing. Might feel awkward AF at first but will pay dividends in the long run.

Then practice putting and chipping 60-75% of your range time. Most of the balance of time with short irons and minimal time with a driver/3wood.

Also, don't worry about tee box bullshit. Hit from the box on a Par 4 that will allow you to hit 7iron or less into a green. Nobody has fun hitting driver 5iron all day. When you start smacking the ball longer, move back a tee set.

I wish the rest of the golf world would follow that last paragraph. Way too many 100+ golfers swinging from the blues and black when they should be up at the whites or yellows.

This sentence hit me right square in the balls. Holy crap.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 10, 2023, 05:31:18 PM »
What's the average yardage on a regular course par 4?  Seems like 400 might even be too high for your average public course. It's basically impossible to hit a modern driver less than 230 if you hit it straight so that's 170 left.  I'd say that's 6/7/8 for most non pros.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 10, 2023, 05:50:59 PM »
IPA is pretty spot on. Spend most of your practice time putting and chipping as these will be over half of your strokes when you are playing. You can easily practice short chips in your backyard.

Also cut down on how many clubs you use and just get really good with a couple. I use a driver/7iron/W/56Wedge/Putter for about 90% of my shots. 220 yards to the hole after a drive on a par 5 should I bust out my woods or hybrid? Nah, I'll put those in the tree's or doof it, best to just hit a 7 iron 170 yards down the fairway.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 10, 2023, 05:53:58 PM »
A couple of years ago I did go through a funk where I just couldn't hit the ball. Driver/Irons/Chipping/putting...all gone. It was like the Monstars had stole all of my golfing ability randomly. I was playing 9 holes after work at heart of america and just up and left in the middle of the 7th hole after losing 12+ balls already.

Took a month off and everything was back to normal.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 10, 2023, 07:09:00 PM »
Yeah IPA and Benji are right. So much happens basically 60 yards or less from the hole. Starting out you're going to not hit the green, so you have to chip. You get better scores when you two putt or less, so the better chipping you are the shorter putt you need to make which means more likely chance  of two putting or better.

The biggest jumps after is accuracy from distance on the approach, and then lengthening the drive so your approaches are more manageable.

Golf presents itself as driving first cause it is what you do, but you have to think of it in reverse of putt, chip, approach, drive in terms of importance.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 10, 2023, 07:59:11 PM »
Just get your swing to where you aren't chunking hardly ever. Chunk shot after chunk shot is one of the most rage inducing things on earth. I don't always hit it straight, I blade some shots, I can't putt very well, but when I don't chunk any shots I probably enjoyed my round and had fun for the most part.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 11, 2023, 08:05:22 AM »
in MOST cases, when you're chunkin' it probably means that you are looking up to see where your shot is going to go instead of keeping your head down. Obviously there are exceptions like if the ball is well above or below your feet or if the ground is particularly soft or if your feet slip during your swing, but for the most part you probably just need to keep your head down.

The other thing that will require some introspection...is what do you need to feel satisfied with how you played? Obviously everyone would love to shoot a lower score, but focusing on your score might not be the best use of your time. I know for me, even if my score is total crap, if i can make good contact with the ball, and have good ball flight (like i'm not just duck hooking every shot) and make just a couple putts then i'm pretty happy. I also get enjoyment from NO SELF LIMITATIONS so like, if its a 400 yd par 4 and relatively straight, then yes i should be able to hit a driver off the tee. I realize there is probably an entire moneyball industry for hack golfers where you can be like "so the correct play is 5 iron off the tee, 9 iron, and then you're left with a 30 yard chip shot which will be your best chance at making par."

But that would drive me crazy. I want to use the best club i have in the bag for the given shot.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 11, 2023, 08:20:17 AM »
Thanks golf cats. Most of these tips are pretty obvious and I knew most of them. That's what makes golf so hard I guess. The old, "just do that" tips. I KNOW GODDAMMIT!!! Some good ones in here though, thanks. My biggest issue (at least for now) is my grip. I know how to hold the club. I know how i'm supposed to hold the club, but the interlocking grip just doesn't feel right for me and it makes my right hand slip way under. When my hands are uncomfortable, I start hitting really bad shots. Just not hitting the face. As I mentioned yesterday, I was doing pretty well, then the past few rounds went to complete crap. Went to the range at lunch and spent 45 min and prob didn't hit one "clean" shot. It was rage inducing. Went back last night and switched my grip to just putting my pinky on top as opposed to locking and hit the ball way better. I know I just need to pick one and stick with it and I think that is what its going to be.

Also, I get that I need to work chipping and putting more. That always made sense to me and I agree, but the course I play is long as eff. If you don't hit at decent drive, you are going to have a bad time. I actually hit the 3w decent so my second shots aren't always terrible, but I also agree with Benji and I should prob just bang my 6 or 7 as opposed the more often than not chunk or chase 3w shot.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 11, 2023, 09:04:26 AM »
Ya know what another common reason for chunkin is not keeping your weight back during your swing. Last time I took lessons the dude gave me a drill where I tee up a ball like I’m going to hit driver but then just use your 7 iron. Address the ball like your normal would but then just put your toe down on your front foot (since I’m right handed that’s my left foot). It feels weird asf, but just hitting off your right foot is a good drill for helping you keep your weight back.

Next time you’re at the range try hitting 10 shots just off your back leg and then see if that does anything for you

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 11, 2023, 09:39:14 AM »
Ya know what another common reason for chunkin is not keeping your weight back during your swing. Last time I took lessons the dude gave me a drill where I tee up a ball like I’m going to hit driver but then just use your 7 iron. Address the ball like your normal would but then just put your toe down on your front foot (since I’m right handed that’s my left foot). It feels weird asf, but just hitting off your right foot is a good drill for helping you keep your weight back.

Next time you’re at the range try hitting 10 shots just off your back leg and then see if that does anything for you

I'm no golf pro, but I think this is the exact opposite of what you should do.

The golf swing is about weight transfer, back foot during back swing, front foot during down swing. The downswing is the biggest issue for high handicappers and having poor/late weight transfer is what causes fat shots and most likely a slice. Being on your back foot will lose tons of distance and almost always keep the club face open, not matter the club.

I think I'd practice only standing on your front foot with swings at the range.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 11, 2023, 10:00:48 AM »
Oh, yeah, maybe it was front foot you’re supposed to stand on instead of back. It’s been a minute since I last did that drill. Thanks Shooter!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 11, 2023, 10:05:32 AM »
SF try both and report back ITT (jk I think shooter is correct it’s keep your weight on the front leg for that drill)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 11, 2023, 10:05:45 AM »
Oh, yeah, maybe it was front foot you’re supposed to stand on instead of back. It’s been a minute since I last did that drill. Thanks Shooter!

You're welcome, BAC.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 11, 2023, 10:43:17 AM »
SF try both and report back ITT (jk I think shooter is correct it’s keep your weight on the front leg for that drill)

Ha, my guy already had me doing the front foot drill so I thought BAC was wrong, but WTF do I know?