Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 232701 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: book recommendations
« Reply #500 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
Infinite Jest is exhausting but spectacular. Possibly my favorite book so far, and I'm maybe halfway through it. IT TAKES A LOOOOOOOONG TIME TO READ.

Takes a long time to read because it is almost 1100 pages, or is it written in a way that doesn't read smoothly?

One is a book I would def read, the other is one I def wouldn't.

A little of both. There are footnotes that you have to read, for example. There's like a 30 page explanation of how Boston AA works. But it's hilarious, and he created a vivid world with fantastic characters.

I'm borrowing it from the library, but I'm thinking of buying it and starting over. I didn't read the footnotes at first, and wish I had.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »
Infinite Jest is exhausting but spectacular. Possibly my favorite book so far, and I'm maybe halfway through it. IT TAKES A LOOOOOOOONG TIME TO READ.

Takes a long time to read because it is almost 1100 pages, or is it written in a way that doesn't read smoothly?

A little of both. There are footnotes that you have to read, for example. There's like a 30 page explanation of how Boston AA works. But it's hilarious, and he created a vivid world with fantastic characters.

I'm borrowing it from the library, but I'm thinking of buying it and starting over. I didn't read the footnotes at first, and wish I had.

watch out rusty  :frown:

Yet the nebulous, resolutionless ending serves to underscore Wallace's underlying failure to find a suitable novelistic shape for his ingenious and often outrageously funny material.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #502 on: August 13, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »

Yet the nebulous, resolutionless ending serves to underscore Wallace's underlying failure to find a suitable novelistic shape for his ingenious and often outrageously funny material.

I really don't care how it "ends". I mean, the first chapter is pretty much how it ends up. :dunno:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 13, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »

Skimmed the wikipedia page and it seems very similiar to "Jennifer Government" in regards to the themes of mega corporations. Jennifer Government kinda sucked though.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 13, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »

Skimmed the wikipedia page and it seems very similiar to "Jennifer Government" in regards to the themes of mega corporations. Jennifer Government kinda sucked though.

corporations have very, very little to do with the plot about halfway through. The politics are a little slapstick and ridiculous, but I really don't mind. It's just how the book's world is.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 13, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »

I really don't care how it "ends". I mean, the first chapter is pretty much how it ends up. :dunno:

do they have 29 hour days in almeda? how in gods name do you have the time to do all the stuff you do? drugs?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 13, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »

do they have 29 hour days in almeda? how in gods name do you have the time to do all the stuff you do? drugs?

I've read like 400 pages in 6 weeks. :dunno:

(you can tell from the dates and pace that the beginning of the book is the end)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 13, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »

I've read like 400 pages in 6 weeks. :dunno:

(you can tell from the dates and pace that the beginning of the book is the end)

so not drugs? seems like maybe drugs.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 13, 2013, 11:02:48 AM »
It's pretty clear, no other hobbies or anything else to do.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #509 on: August 13, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »
He multitasks during his beard growing time.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 13, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »
I started reading on the train this year. It's about 30 minutes a day. Sometimes I'll read during my lunch break. Also lots of drugs

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #511 on: August 13, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »
I read Pendulum when I was still able to take the metro to work. I miss reading on trains.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 13, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
Just started reading "The Stand" by Steven King...got the expanded version that is like 1200 pages  :surprised:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 13, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
I've been reading the book by that Navy SEAL sniper that got killed at the shooting range.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 14, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »
Just finished World War Z

I liked it much more than I thought I would given the format.  Would def recommend.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:20 PM »
Listened to WWZ on the way back to KS for a holiday. Not bad, but I didn't like it as much as others did.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 19, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »

Trying this one now.  Three chapters in and I am intrigued.  Especially by Hal.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 19, 2013, 06:02:14 PM »
Hal's definitely the main character. I finally broke down and bought it and am going to start over. Make sure you read the footnotes.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 19, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »
I'm about half way through Wool Omnibus. I'm really into it. The first "book" really got to me.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 19, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »
I'm about half way through Wool Omnibus. I'm really into it. The first "book" really got to me.

I actually just read this last week. Pretty good story, but sometimes his descriptions of details is a little thesaurus-y and over the top. And we get it, they're climbing lots of stairs, thanks author guy.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: book recommendations
« Reply #520 on: August 20, 2013, 12:03:45 AM »

I actually just read this last week. Pretty good story, but sometimes his descriptions of details is a little thesaurus-y and over the top. And we get it, they're climbing lots of stairs, thanks author guy.

I just got done with all the stairs. What was that guy thinking? Besides that, the author is great with characters. Agree with the details though.

Are you going to read the two sequels?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 16, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »
Infinite Jest.  I like it, but just can't do it right now.

The review on Amazon says that this book isn't for someone who can't devote continued amts of time to it.  That is the truth.  I don't touch it for days, then pick it up and JFC, what was happening again?  I am going to back burner this one until I can own it on a trip or something.

Starting The Son now.  will report back. It follows multiple gens of one family through time in Texas from settling it to now.  Sounds lame saying it like that, but it has pretty dece reviews.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 16, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »
Anyone here read the bible? Looking for a good fiction read and I've got my Gma's old one laying around.

Which chapters have the best stories? Can I skip around or does it all kinda go in order?

Thanks, I'll listen off air.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 16, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »
Confederacy of Dunces - interesting book and interesting story about the author.   Poor bastard.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 16, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »
Infinite Jest.  I like it, but just can't do it right now.

The review on Amazon says that this book isn't for someone who can't devote continued amts of time to it.  That is the truth.  I don't touch it for days, then pick it up and JFC, what was happening again?  I am going to back burner this one until I can own it on a trip or something.

Starting The Son now.  will report back. It follows multiple gens of one family through time in Texas from settling it to now.  Sounds lame saying it like that, but it has pretty dece reviews.

How far did you get?

Personally, I need to be able to put it down from time to time. I can't just sit down and read it for 2 hours. I can maybe read it for 30-45 minutes  before I have to do something else.

The reread is interesting, I'm picking up a lot of foretelling and info I missed the first time through.