Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 235051 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #1225 on: August 13, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »
Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 13, 2015, 11:16:46 AM »

I'm glad you like it!  Have you read "Ready Player One?"
I'm 1/3 of the way through (Aech cleared gate) based on (hopefully not misread) recommendos ITT, and I'm starting to wonder if it is ever going to get past surface level nerd culture and 80's references?

Well, if you don't like the nerd stuff and 80's stuff you are reading the wrong book.

It's not that I don't like nerd stuff and 80's stuff...

I just feel like the first 50-100 pages were the author trying to cram as many references in them as possible.  And not really references, but lists of things that people familiar with sci-fi or gaming or the 80's would recognize.  It just feels cheap to set a novel in the future and try and draw people in by using a shotgun blast of references so you can touch a nostalgic nerve for every male between the ages of 14 and 55.

Also, l33t speak? In the 2030's, really?  I mean the author invented something called the "L33t Hax0rz Warezhous" that is basically the Silk Road. "Sux0rz"?  Is this a CS chatroom in 2001?

Don't get me wrong, it's picked up a bit and is a fairly fun novel.  I'll finish it, I would just much rather be reading one of Halliday's favorite author's:

Quote from: Actual quote from the book
Douglas Adams. Kurt Vonnegut. Neal Stephenson. Richard K. Morgan. Stephen King. Orson Scott Card. Terry  Pratchett. Terry Brooks. Bester, Bradbury, Haldeman, Heinlein, Tolkein, Vance, Gibson, Gainman, Sterling, Moorcock, Scalzi, Zelezny

I listened to the audiobook version narrated by Will Wheaton. I enjoyed it. I have a feeling I wouldn't have enjoyed actually reading the book for the reasons you've stated.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 13, 2015, 11:45:11 AM »

I'm 1/3 of the way through (Aech cleared gate) based on (hopefully not misread) recommendos ITT, and I'm starting to wonder if it is ever going to get past surface level nerd culture and 80's references?

Well, if you don't like the nerd stuff and 80's stuff you are reading the wrong book.

I just feel like the first 50-100 pages were the author trying to cram as many references in them as possible.  And not really references, but lists of things that people familiar with sci-fi or gaming or the 80's would recognize.  It just feels cheap to set a novel in the future and try and draw people in by using a shotgun blast of references so you can touch a nostalgic nerve for every male between the ages of 14 and 55.

Also, l33t speak? In the 2030's, really?  I mean the author invented something called the "L33t Hax0rz Warezhous" that is basically the Silk Road. "Sux0rz"?  Is this a CS chatroom in 2001?

Don't get me wrong, it's picked up a bit and is a fairly fun novel.  I'll finish it, I would just much rather be reading one of Halliday's favorite author's:

Douglas Adams. Kurt Vonnegut. Neal Stephenson. Richard K. Morgan. Stephen King. Orson Scott Card. Terry  Pratchett. Terry Brooks. Bester, Bradbury, Haldeman, Heinlein, Tolkein, Vance, Gibson, Gainman, Sterling, Moorcock, Scalzi, Zelezny

I listened to the audiobook version narrated by Will Wheaton. I enjoyed it. I have a feeling I wouldn't have enjoyed actually reading the book for the reasons you've stated.

Same here, the Will Wheaton narration was amazingly good.  However, the 80's nostalgia is not merely trivia...it's a character in the book. 

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 13, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »

Same here, the Will Wheaton narration was amazingly good.  However, the 80's nostalgia is not merely trivia...it's a character in the book.

The book doesn't work without it. I just think that I would have found it unbearable to drudge through in text.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 13, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »
did the martian audiobook on my recent travels. very good. super science joyride.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: August 13, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »
did the martian audiobook on my recent travels. very good. super science joyride.

I totally agree.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 21, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »

I'm going to read Lev Grossman's The Magicians next.  A trilogy.  Will report back.

How was this?  Still think it's better than the demon cycle series?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 21, 2015, 09:07:01 PM »
It was not good.  Also, syfi Chan is making it a tv series. 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 22, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »

It was not good.  Also, syfi Chan is making it a tv series. 

God damn it, bread is usually good on this stuff.  I need to know what to read next.  Finished that last series with the gay guy, and it was good.  I have the third book in the Abercrombie YA series that I will read, then I am wide open.  I want something great!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 22, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »
Pete, have you read John Dies At The End?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 22, 2015, 03:40:03 PM »
Or the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 22, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »
Or winds of war by Herman Wouk?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: August 23, 2015, 07:14:01 AM »
I haven't read any of those.  Tell me more!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1238 on: August 23, 2015, 07:18:26 AM »
Thanks. Started "Terror" last night.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: August 23, 2015, 07:38:39 AM »

These look interesting.  Have you read the earlier ones as well?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1240 on: August 23, 2015, 08:10:20 AM »

These look interesting.  Have you read the earlier ones as well?
Nope. Figured sd would make good recommendation. So, I went for this one. It was available for immediate checkout online from the library.

I have Overdrive app. It connects to my public library.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: August 23, 2015, 08:16:20 AM »

John Dies at the End is kind of an over the top horror/comedy. Easy read and had a couple parts that made me LOL.

Hyperion stuff is kind of a blend of fantasy/sci fi. The first one (I think just called Hyperion) is like Canterbury Tales where all the people on some quest like tell some story and they all kind of circle back on each other later on in the books.

Winds Of War (and the second book War and Remembrance) is historical fiction set in WWII. A lot of good history and a great story. Probably my favorite books.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1242 on: August 23, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »

John Dies at the End is kind of an over the top horror/comedy. Easy read and had a couple parts that made me LOL.

Hyperion stuff is kind of a blend of fantasy/sci fi. The first one (I think just called Hyperion) is like Canterbury Tales where all the people on some quest like tell some story and they all kind of circle back on each other later on in the books.

Winds Of War (and the second book War and Remembrance) is historical fiction set in WWII. A lot of good history and a great story. Probably my favorite books.
I put a hold on Winds of War last night. Looking forward to that one.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »
Also reading Shift omnibus. Incredible combination of a great story with horrible prose.
yup, just like ASOIAF imho

And also would make a great hbo show!
I'm super pumped for Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on BBC. That had a great story AND fantastic dialogue.
Reading this now.  About 10% in and really like it so far.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: August 23, 2015, 10:55:43 AM »
Finished Ready Player One.  It was a fun read. The throwaway references continued throughout, but I got less annoyed by them as the book went on.  Somewhat trite, but enjoyable... 7/10, would recommend
:adios:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: August 23, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »
I'm about finished with Kafka on the Shore. Very enjoyable, probably more than 1Q84.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: August 23, 2015, 08:00:38 PM »
I'm about finished with Kafka on the Shore. Very enjoyable, probably more than 1Q84.

What's funny is, you probably say to yourself "How does Pete read that crap?" And, I say to myself "How does Rusty read that crap?"

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: August 23, 2015, 11:39:22 PM »
Pete, it's such an entertaining world this guy creates. Really good stories.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: August 23, 2015, 11:44:18 PM »
And @Pete, "The Martian" is high on my list of next fiction to read. Think I'll dive into "Champlain's Dream" next, though. That American Nations book we both read inspired it!

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: August 24, 2015, 10:19:20 AM »
finished "The Martian" and loved it.

next up is "Devil in the White City"
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.