Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 230034 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #775 on: March 27, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »
I stayed up last night past 3 finishing Lone Survivor.  Which is pretty late for me, normally a 1030 or 11pm kinda guy.  Anyway it was a good read and I would recommend to people who like military works.  These guys are/were tougher than crap.  Tough to really imagine, and I'm somewhat left wondering how much is exaggerated or flat out false, because he was the only one who lived to tell about it.  I do wish it had more in the way of maps, photographs, etc, but I'm sure it wasn't really supposed to be a book like that.  I read it on Kindle, so I'm surprised there wasn't an Afterword II that told of Lutrell's murder.

After thinking about this book over lunch, I have decided it is fiction.  It's not a biography, not a non-fiction piece at all. 

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 30, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »
I am going to read this

Actually, I will probably get it on audio.  I like to listen to non-fiction on Audio when I do other stuff.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:22:41 PM by Pete »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 30, 2014, 08:27:33 PM »
I stayed up last night past 3 finishing Lone Survivor.  Which is pretty late for me, normally a 1030 or 11pm kinda guy.  Anyway it was a good read and I would recommend to people who like military works.  These guys are/were tougher than crap.  Tough to really imagine, and I'm somewhat left wondering how much is exaggerated or flat out false, because he was the only one who lived to tell about it.  I do wish it had more in the way of maps, photographs, etc, but I'm sure it wasn't really supposed to be a book like that.  I read it on Kindle, so I'm surprised there wasn't an Afterword II that told of Lutrell's murder.

After thinking about this book over lunch, I have decided it is fiction.  It's not a biography, not a non-fiction piece at all.

I think you've got some books confused.   Chris Kyle (American Sniper) was the one murdered.  Luttrell is alive an well.

The book reads as fiction largely because the ghost writer was a fiction author.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 30, 2014, 08:36:52 PM »
Youre right about Kyle.  Although the book reads as fiction because the facts are not facts at all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 30, 2014, 08:38:44 PM »

I am going to read this

Actually, I will probably get it on audio.  I like to listen to non-fiction on Audio when I do other stuff.

Saw that tonight. Looks very good.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #780 on: April 06, 2014, 02:16:22 PM »
i tend to overrate things (movies, songs and books) in the moment, but i just finished Pat Summitt's autobiography, "Sum It Up," and it is without question the single-most inspiring coach book that i have ever, ever read. it's easily a top 5 all-time book for me. i'm not kidding, the book has and will change my life and the way i approach a lot of things, especially work.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 06, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »
the book has and will change my life and the way i approach a lot of things.

thank god someone was finally able to get through to you.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 06, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »
i tend to overrate things (movies, songs and books) in the moment, but i just finished ...

Stopped reading here.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #783 on: April 06, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »
i tend to overrate things (movies, songs and books) in the moment, but i just finished ...

Stopped reading here.

liar.  :fatty:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 12, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
Just ordered The Signal and the Noise, Naked Statistics, and the first GoT book  :sdeek:  Need to stock up on material for my vacay.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 13, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
Just ordered The Signal and the Noise, Naked Statistics, and the first GoT book  :sdeek:  Need to stock up on material for my vacay.

Sorry about your prison sentence, spracs. Use this time to better yourself and it can be a positive experience. Just keep your head down.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 13, 2014, 08:17:33 AM »
Just ordered the first GoT book  :sdeek: 

you just want to find out who littlefinger is don't you

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 13, 2014, 09:37:19 AM »
Just ordered the first GoT book  :sdeek: 

you just want to find out who littlefinger is don't you

I just want to be one of the cool un-cool kids.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 13, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »
I read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential over my vacation.  It read quick and I was interested in it was basically half cool stuff and half him repeating how his kitchen coworkers are a bunch of misfits and outsiders over and over and over and over and over. 

Still worth the read, though, if you like to cook.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 26, 2014, 05:16:35 PM »

Yeah, I like Glokta and Logen once you figure out why/how he's as great a warrior as he is.  I liked the little mythology he created as well and how he only gives you just a taste and leaves you wanting so much more.  Makes for some motivated reading, at least it did for me.   I love back story though.   Complete sucker for it.  I also like the backdrop of all the political intrigue, betrayals and power grabbing.  Fun climate for a story.  Keeps you guessing right along with the main characters.

Started Abercrombie's third book in the series this weekend....really, really enjoying this series.  I don't know what I'll do when this one is done, have nothing in my on-deck circle.   :frown:

He has three more.  Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country (in order).  They follow the original three.  Some lesser characters with expanded roles (e.g., Shivers, Cosca, Gorst, Calder) and of course new characters and settings.  The Heroes might have been my favorite out of all his books.  Best Served Cold is solid.  Red Country is his worst book imo.

Finished Best Served Cold.  I agree, would call it "solid."  Going to start the Heroes.  After that, I may skip Red Country and read his new one called "Half a King," based on your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 27, 2014, 08:49:33 AM »
I read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential over my vacation.  It read quick and I was interested in it was basically half cool stuff and half him repeating how his kitchen coworkers are a bunch of misfits and outsiders over and over and over and over and over. 

his fiction isn't half bad either.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 27, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »

his fiction isn't half bad either.

I am looking for a good food book.  I'll probably just finally read kitchen confidential.  There is some reluctant chef book that amazon keeps pushing though that it may just sell me on.

Bourdain's fiction isn't bad either...

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 27, 2014, 09:42:15 AM »
ha

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 27, 2014, 09:55:16 AM »
WHICH IS IT, MIKEY????????

i would be pissed as hell if i started out to read a work of fiction that wasn't bad, only to discover that it was actually half bad all along.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 27, 2014, 03:37:49 PM »
Started reading Console Wars over the weekend

It's a behind the scenes look at how Sega took on Nintendo in the early 90's.  Pretty quick read so far.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 30, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
Just read "Embers of War" about Vietnam from about WWI to the start of the war with the US. Christ, it was like banging your head against the wall.  Lots of focus on Eisenhower administration painted themselves into a corner regarding the dangers of Communism at home politically and led to so many terrible, stupid decisions in Vietnam after the French left. Pretty sad, really.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:16 PM »
Who has read Infinite Jest? Is it worth the 1000+ pages?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 31, 2014, 08:24:43 PM »
Who has read Infinite Jest? Is it worth the 1000+ pages?

I am 6% through.   Just picked it back up after waiting a year or so since starting it.  I like it, but need time to get through it.  It doesn't flow easy so far.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 31, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
reading is for idiots imo

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile