Author Topic: Scientology  (Read 10093 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Scientology
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2015, 08:13:28 AM »
Is tithing still necessary in the Catholic Church today?

Tithing is absolutely still necessary in the Catholic Church today. When God introduced the concept of the tithe in the Old Testament He told the Israelites this contribution was necessary from them to support the work of the Levites and the poor in the community. Today our Church still needs our support to pay the expenses and financial obligations it incurs as it operates in a commercial society. Salaries, benefits, insurance, maintenance, utilities and service fees are all expenses that never even existed when Our Lord first decreed that each of us was to give back a percentage of what we have. Additionally, we are still called to care for the poor among us.

“Each year you shall tithe all the produce that grows in the field you have sown…so that the Levite who has no share in the heritage with you and also the alien, the orphan and the widow who belong to your community, may come and eat their fill so that the Lord your God may bless you in all that you undertake.” - Deuteronomy 14:22, 29

Is anyone exempt from the tithe?

Our Lord exempted no one from giving. In the story of the “Widow’s Mite” it is important to note that He did not reach into the Offering box and give the widow back her two small coins. When He multiplied the Loaves and Fishes He asked for all the food that anyone had. Even the Levites or priests of the Old Testament were not exempt from the tithe. Today, although many parishioners are unaware of it, priests are still usually most generous in giving back a percentage of their own small salaries to the parishes in which they serve.

"Give the Levites these instructions: When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I have assigned you from them as your heritage, you are to make a contribution from them to the Lord, a tithe of the tithes…” - Numbers 18:26

When I decide to work towards a tithe, should I be calculating it based on my gross or net income?

When striving to give a full tithe, you should calculate the amount you give back to God based on your gross income. The reason for this is that stewardship calls us to give back to God first, before we take care of any of our own wants, needs or obligations – including our obligation to our government. After all, God should come before Uncle Sam, shouldn’t He? By placing God first – above all other financial obligations – we show how much we love and trust Him. Some people may never be able to reach a full tithe. Others reach that goal and keep giving, knowing that in reality it all belongs to God.

“Honor the Lord with your wealth, with first fruits of all your produce; then will your barns be filled with grain, with new wine your vats will overflow.” - Proverbs 3:9-10

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2015, 08:16:22 AM »
I mean, read that crap. and I'm not singling out catholics, it was just the first hit on google. one of the funniest things I hear constantly is one faith mocking the beliefs/practices of another faith as being outlandish or perverse without looking at what theirs are without indoctrinated glasses on.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2015, 08:17:28 AM »
Well, if I were Catholic, I wouldn't tithe, and they wouldn't do a thing about it. The Mormons would audit me, though. I think the Scientologists do, too.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2015, 08:24:10 AM »

Tithing is absolutely still necessary in the Catholic Church today. When God introduced the concept of the tithe in the Old Testament He told the Israelites this contribution was necessary from them to support the work of the Levites and the poor in the community. Today our Church still needs our support to pay the expenses and financial obligations it incurs as it operates in a commercial society. Salaries, benefits, insurance, maintenance, utilities and service fees are all expenses that never even existed when Our Lord first decreed that each of us was to give back a percentage of what we have. Additionally, we are still called to care for the poor among us.

“Each year you shall tithe all the produce that grows in the field you have sown…so that the Levite who has no share in the heritage with you and also the alien, the orphan and the widow who belong to your community, may come and eat their fill so that the Lord your God may bless you in all that you undertake.” - Deuteronomy 14:22, 29

Our Lord exempted no one from giving. In the story of the “Widow’s Mite” it is important to note that He did not reach into the Offering box and give the widow back her two small coins. When He multiplied the Loaves and Fishes He asked for all the food that anyone had. Even the Levites or priests of the Old Testament were not exempt from the tithe. Today, although many parishioners are unaware of it, priests are still usually most generous in giving back a percentage of their own small salaries to the parishes in which they serve.

"Give the Levites these instructions: When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I have assigned you from them as your heritage, you are to make a contribution from them to the Lord, a tithe of the tithes…” - Numbers 18:26

When I decide to work towards a tithe, should I be calculating it based on my gross or net income?

When striving to give a full tithe, you should calculate the amount you give back to God based on your gross income. The reason for this is that stewardship calls us to give back to God first, before we take care of any of our own wants, needs or obligations – including our obligation to our government. After all, God should come before Uncle Sam, shouldn’t He? By placing God first – above all other financial obligations – we show how much we love and trust Him. Some people may never be able to reach a full tithe. Others reach that goal and keep giving, knowing that in reality it all belongs to God.

“Honor the Lord with your wealth, with first fruits of all your produce; then will your barns be filled with grain, with new wine your vats will overflow.” - Proverbs 3:9-10

I don't think Christians have to pay any attention to the Old Testament. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »
Christians are allowed to do whatever they want, really.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »

I don't think Christians have to pay any attention to the Old Testament.

Is the part about hating gays and the "traditional definition" of marriage in the old or new?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2015, 09:02:50 AM »
In 2000 yrs, Hubbard's existence will be revised and vague'ed up enough that there will be no diff btwn him and the beginning ppl involved in Christianity.   Jesus just had a head start.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2015, 09:29:23 AM »
Catholics do lots of good with that money too. Does  scientology do charitable work? I'd be surprised if it was very prevalent.

As an atheist, I feel comfortable stating that scientology is a "worse" religion than many others
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
Catholics do lots of good with that money too. Does  scientology do charitable work? I'd be surprised if it was very prevalent.

As an atheist, I feel comfortable stating that scientology is a "worse" religion than many others

more than tithithing for works and support and infrastructure and whatever, scientology is worse because you pay for spiritual advancement. your level of spiritual enlightenment is directly related to how much money you give. pay to play.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2015, 09:47:57 AM »

more than tithithing for works and support and infrastructure and whatever, scientology is worse because you pay for spiritual advancement. your level of spiritual enlightenment is directly related to how much money you give. pay to play.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion/10indulgence.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2015, 10:50:06 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion/10indulgence.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

yes, true stories

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2015, 11:30:01 AM »

:lol:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2015, 12:44:10 PM »

besides those though

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2016, 09:49:35 PM »
Anyone watching Leah Remini's exposé on A&E called Scientology: The Aftermath (or something like that)? On right now. The Church of Scientology is very butthurt about it.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2016, 10:10:07 PM »
She did an ama today and it was pretty boring
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2016, 11:16:14 PM »
Best decision of my life was joining Scientology

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »
Watched My Scientology Movie by Louis Theroux a while back. 

Really makes them look like bat crap crazy cult guys.  Have only seen half of Going Clear, but really reinforces the bat crap crazy. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2016, 03:26:50 PM »
Best decision of my life was joining Scientology

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

sell me on it

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2017, 11:11:23 PM »
Just started watching the Leah Remini scientology show. Wow, that is some mumped up crap.