Author Topic: Mick Cronin and coaches not "coaching"  (Read 2807 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Mick Cronin and coaches not "coaching"
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »
So Mick Cronin didn't "coach" any games after the new year, but he was still managing the program and recruiting and it obviously worked pretty well.

Would it make sense to have a head coach that didn't travel with the team or really deal with practice but only spent their time recruiting and researching recruits, and just kind of be like a GM? I mean, do you really need more than 3 coaches for 15 guys 100% of the time?

I know Frank had assistants miss shitty non-con games to go recruit, but what if you had someone do that full time? Maybe someone already does?

:dunno:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Mick Cronin and coaches not "coaching"
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:29:46 PM »
Let's do it.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:31:30 PM »
someone will do it, and it won't be KSU

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:39:45 PM »
but oscar gets on planes really early and stuff!

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:42:40 PM »
how did it go when steve lavin left to not die from cancer?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 06:46:52 PM »
how did it go when steve lavin left to not die from cancer?

not well, but it was year two and he lost a lot after his first season. I would say his roster turnover was a bigger factor.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:05:23 PM »
So Mick Cronin didn't "coach" any games after the new year, but he was still managing the program and recruiting and it obviously worked pretty well.

Would it make sense to have a head coach that didn't travel with the team or really deal with practice but only spent their time recruiting and researching recruits, and just kind of be like a GM? I mean, do you really need more than 3 coaches for 15 guys 100% of the time?

I know Frank had assistants miss shitty non-con games to go recruit, but what if you had someone do that full time? Maybe someone already does?

Rick Barnes would be perfect for this role!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
Duke went down the tubes w/o K on the bench, quite an accomplishment

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
Duke went down the tubes w/o K on the bench, quite an accomplishment
Ah, forgot about that one.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:36:26 PM »
Would cost too much $$$ even if it worked. The only way would maybe be a guy like K or some other old guy who steps back and CEOs while a hot shot X&O's assistant did the practice and game stuff. Either way someone is taking a serious pay cut.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 08:38:27 PM »
Would cost too much $$$ even if it worked. The only way would maybe be a guy like K or some other old guy who steps back and CEOs while a hot shot X&O's assistant did the practice and game stuff. Either way someone is taking a serious pay cut.

In his scenario you use the same amount of coaches.  the coach just removes himself from the day to day and focuses on more high level stuff. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »
Jimmy Elgas had a .500 record in two games which was higher than Wooly's .480 win% at KSU.  When you consider they were both conference games, that was an enormous improvement over the .333 Wooly mark.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
I think the job titles/responsibilities could be much better/more transparent but I don't think we are doing much more than formalizing the titles being reflective of the work and re-imagine the compensation structure to be more balanced which might result in a better overall staff assuming it was done right.

1. HC as CEO

Operations
2. Associate HC- handles day-to-day coaching/practices/in-game coaching/player development
Grad Asst.
DoBO as Organizer/Details guy/Right hand man
Director of Student-Athlete Development
S&C

Recruiting and Scouting
3. Recruiting Lead- manages recruiting & scouting dept
4. Head Scout- Does scouts for games, helps manage recruiting database/assists in recruiting evaluation/roster management
Video Guy
Grad Asst.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »
A lot of programs now have more coaches that are allowed on the bench anyway.

You can add Butler to the list of programs that got better when their head coach had to stop coaching. Their situation is was weird.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »

You can add Butler to the list of programs that got better when their head coach had to stop coaching. Their situation is was weird.
huggs has the strangest group of guys on his bench, looks like some of his buds just dropping by

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 10:53:11 PM »
Bobby Bowden did this for years and it didn't work so well towards the end.

It's worked well for Pat Riley when he had elite players, except he used a Spoelstrabot 3.1 to coach, rather than letting someone else do it.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 11:05:38 PM »

In his scenario you use the same amount of coaches.  the coach just removes himself from the day to day and focuses on more high level stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that either the head coach is going to have to take a pay cut for doing less or the assistant is going to be short-changed in salary, while doing more work.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 11:40:20 PM »

I guess what I'm saying is that either the head coach is going to have to take a pay cut for doing less or the assistant is going to be short-changed in salary, while doing more work.

They wouldn't be doing less, they'd be doing different things.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 11:43:08 PM »
Bobby Bowden did this for years and it didn't work so well towards the end.

It's worked well for Pat Riley when he had elite players, except he used a Spoelstrabot 3.1 to coach, rather than letting someone else do it.
Not a very good comparison with Bobby because he wasn't entirely sure where he was.  Also his son sucked massive dick at coaching. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 11:44:07 PM »

Ask Mick Cronin if he was doing more or less this season. Ask the assistant the same thing.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 11:47:04 PM »

Ask Mick Cronin if he was doing more or less this season. Ask the assistant the same thing.
It wouldn't be identical to that situation. It wouldn't even have to be the head coach who takes the recruiting role.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 12:10:27 AM »

huggs has the strangest group of guys on his bench, looks like some of his buds just dropping by

The old dude named Billy or some crap that sits on the stool next to the scorers table in the mock neck. When we played them in Wichita I thought that dude was the bus driver

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:14 AM »
As a member of the K-State staff, Baker focuses his day-to-day activities on recruiting.
http://m.kstatesports.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/baker_charles00.html