Author Topic: ask a townie  (Read 30927 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: ask a townie
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »
Does Kevin shave your neck with a straight razor?  DOUBT IT
I prefer my barbers gay.

how can you tell? do they have a gay barber college diploma hanging up?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
Actually I've had the same lady do my hair for the past 8 years. The one time a guy cut my hair, he was gay.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
has sport clips been open for 8 years already?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »
POW! TOWNIE SMAKK

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »
Are non-rental/Student housing prices expensive in Manhattan?

I have a buddy who got a job in the area and recently moved to Manhattan because he didn't to live in the Small Town where his job actually is.

He previously had a little 4 bedroom 200k ish McMansion in Olathe and ended up getting a smaller house in Manhattan for the same price. I kind of figured Manhattan might be cheaper but then again it is BOOMTOWN USA.

Real Estate prices in Manhattan are significantly higher than most places in KS.  It is highly desirable, homes that otherwise would be affordable are largely in the hands of landlords, and the property that goes on the market there is often bid up by developers or landlords looking to make it a multi-family home.  The zoning of the downtown area will hopefully over time result in better density as more and more of the Bluemont corridor is developed linking aggieville and downtown and the low density crap boxes are demolished.  This will relieve some pressure on both the rental and the purchase market as once the big zoning/construction wave happens there will be space for a smart developer to re-imagine some of the housing south of bluemont and east of the of park as a desirable neighborhood and would result in more single family homes as the larger apartments drive out smaller slumlords sitting on these homes.

this might take a while, because i have a feeling ft riley and subsequently mhk is about to take a pretty big hit. brac giveth (2005) and brac taketh away (2015).

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2015, 11:51:32 AM »
has sport clips been open for 8 years already?

:lol:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2015, 11:52:47 AM »
this might take a while, because i have a feeling ft riley and subsequently mhk is about to take a pretty big hit. we'll see...

how'd you get so doom/gloomy? didnt you hear Warlord Roberts scream his huzzahs at the listening session? there is an about equal chance that somebody nearby gets shutdown and consolidated here (cough mccconnelll)

u got scups?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2015, 11:59:31 AM »
S of Bluemont, East of the park is a really great place to live benji. You are walking distance to aville and dt and it's fairly quiet compared to the student ghetto n of Bluemont. I'm currently a resident of the area myself  :D
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2015, 12:00:59 PM »
If MHK keeps growing are they going to split MHS into 2 high schools?

haha. townies will never allow for two highschools. haha, good one.  :lol:

Why?

Lawrence fought this for 20 years but finally caved in.   MHK will too.

mhs is a dominate big time 6a kansas school. you think townies are gonna muck that up and end up with a couple of 5a schools or something? because we might as well pick the town up, move it seven miles closer to i-70 and change the name to salina before that is ever going to happen. two highschools, my word i've heard it all now.  :lol:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »
based upon a $500,000 home-

fairway, $159/sq ft
leawood, $126/sq ft
shawnee, $116/sq ft
olathe, $117/sq ft
overland park, $118/sq ft
lawrentucky, $112/sq ft
lenexa, $107/sq ft
ta town, $107/sq ft
mhk, $88/sq ft

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2015, 12:17:55 PM »
S of Bluemont, East of the park is a really great place to live benji. You are walking distance to aville and dt and it's fairly quiet compared to the student ghetto n of Bluemont. I'm currently a resident of the area myself  :D

You clearly mean south of Bluemont and WEST of the park. Best neighborhood in the world, if you as me.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2015, 12:26:21 PM »
Pretty good too! The houses that face the west side of the park are my favorite in the city

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »

I have a buddy who got a job in the area and recently moved to Manhattan because he didn't to live in the Small Town where his job actually is.

He previously had a little 4 bedroom 200k ish McMansion in Olathe and ended up getting a smaller house in Manhattan for the same price. I kind of figured Manhattan might be cheaper but then again it is BOOMTOWN USA.

Real Estate prices in Manhattan are significantly higher than most places in KS.  It is highly desirable, homes that otherwise would be affordable are largely in the hands of landlords, and the property that goes on the market there is often bid up by developers or landlords looking to make it a multi-family home.  The zoning of the downtown area will hopefully over time result in better density as more and more of the Bluemont corridor is developed linking aggieville and downtown and the low density crap boxes are demolished.  This will relieve some pressure on both the rental and the purchase market as once the big zoning/construction wave happens there will be space for a smart developer to re-imagine some of the housing south of bluemont and east of the of park as a desirable neighborhood and would result in more single family homes as the larger apartments drive out smaller slumlords sitting on these homes.

this might take a while, because i have a feeling ft riley and subsequently mhk is about to take a pretty big hit. brac giveth (2005) and brac taketh away (2015).

Possible.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2015, 05:19:44 PM »

NBAF tho

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »
I think you have to be here 2+ years after graduation to earn the title. Then their are tiers. Lifelong townie is the highest one, the most coveted, and if you didn't move her till college then just big ol' lol at you because you'll never be one.
Yeah, it's a birthright thing more than anything. I haven't lived there in over a year and a half, spent at least 3 years away within my early twenties and still think my townie cred will run circles around yours. I will probably feel that way 20 years from now even if I never move back...Maybe not fair but true.

Also, LOL at KK talking about the Leadership Studies building.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2015, 08:40:02 PM »
Clams, I may have to check those numbers. Doesn't seem correct. Mhk was expensive when we considered moving back about 2002.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »
This is a really great ComboFan thread and I have enjoyed it immensely. It's amazing to see KatKid and RowdyBoyy just flexing their townie muscles like absolute studs.

Yeah, it's a birthright thing more than anything. I haven't lived there in over a year and a half, spent at least 3 years away within my early twenties and still think my townie cred will run circles around yours.
This. I think if someone moved to Manhattan before middle school, stayed at K-State, and then settles in MHK post-college they could technically count themselves as a townie if it helps them sleep at night. But if you move in during or after middle school and live in MHK for the next seventy years? Get out of here, transplant. The elementary school allegiance really seems to be key here.

I have some questions for Rowdy and Mr. KK:
-Best non-Amanda Arnold elementary school? If tiering helps here, go for it.
-What are the "it" churches in town?
-Favorite recurring sponsor of an MPRD team?
-Riff on some well-known MHS teachers/admins.
-Best date spot in HS, in college, and post-college?
-Do you think they'll put the second high school near the Red Lobster, or will they put the Red Lobster near the second high school?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
lol at townie elitism

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
Clams, I may have to check those numbers. Doesn't seem correct. Mhk was expensive when we considered moving back about 2002.

Gonna win 'em all!

Wait another 5 years and you can pick up a cheap lot in Colbert Hills right next to an apartment complex.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »
man oh man now i've seen it all. rowdy boyy bullies me into starting my own townie master thread a few years ago and now he goes and starts one that isn't within the master thread. Rowdy Boyy I just wanted to put you on notice that if this keeps up we might find ourselves behind the church across from MMS after school one of these days. But your thread seems to have really taken off and it is indeed a great resource for people who think moving here after college makes them a townie (lol), so 'grats on that and t-y I guess.

Some townie questions from a townie for all my other townies (lib7 and CF3 need NOT apply):

--Why didn't Metallica end up playing the grand opening of Bramlage? Genuinely curious, as I was not old enough to really be paying attention.
--Greatest place in Manhattan history to see a local rock show? (Related: Bombers got hit by Jewish Lightning, right?)
--You're a 5th grade teacher and you get to plan one dream field trip within Riley County. Where do you go, and why?
--Sorghum or Soybeans?
--Best elite subdivision to lazily drive around at night while you just crank tunes and get some "me time" in? (Related: what tunes are you cranking?)
--Greatest Mercury writer of all-time?
--Most memorable Manhattan Mentor memory? Can be either "I can't believe they printed that!" or "man that was a really good question of the week this week!" or really anything.
--Weirdest unknown story (can be true or largely apocryphal) from your upbringing about anyone who isn't a famous Manhattanite. No Snyder/Kruger stories. I'm looking more for some fun anecdotes/gossip about people that, like, you'd only know if you were a townie or whatever.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:53:55 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2015, 09:55:46 PM »

--You're a 5th grade teacher and you get to plan one dream field trip within Riley County. Where do you go, and why?
Konza or bust.
--Sorghum or Soybeans?
Soybeans.
--Best elite subdivision to lazily drive around at night while you just crank tunes and get some me time in?
If it's Christmastime, you have to pick Sharingbrook and take a trip by the Wall's house.

--Weirdest unknown story (can be true or largely apocryphal) from your upbringing about anyone who isn't a famous Manhattanite. No Snyder/Kruger stories. I'm looking more for some fun anecdotes/gossip about people that, like, you'd only know if you were a townie or whatever.
Russ used to be an architect and/or architecture professor at KSU. Larry Tuttle.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:14:47 PM by WonderMeal »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2015, 09:57:21 PM »
Surely Mrs. Wika taught you how to set a quote so that it pops on the page. (If indeed you were a journo geek, I have no idea.)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »
Is Juliette really named after the first murder victim in Manhattan?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2015, 10:03:01 PM »
just a couple of townies that love mhk so much that they moved 16 hours away asking actual townies questions but somehow hold some sort of elitism over some of my best townie buds. (i don't consider myself a townie, tho i do have a grade school affiliation  :gocho: )

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
Remember when Aggieville wasn't a one way? Lol.