Author Topic: City living or shorter commute?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: City living or shorter commute?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 03:22:47 PM »
Find a texas barbecue debutante and shack up with her while spending your actual salary on the lavish lifestyle of your dreams in a 7870x zip code.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
Find a texas barbecue debutante and shack up with her while spending your actual salary on the lavish lifestyle of your dreams in a 7870x zip code.

:love:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
Maybe you and Spracne could be roommates.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
this seems easy. stay in austin. you like it more. it's bigger. more friends. more stuff to do. who cares if it's a little more expensive. you are only single and in your twenties once. also a thirty minute commute is nothing. nothing.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 03:36:58 PM »
yeah RD is correct here. you can move back later. but once you do you're not ever going to Austin anymore

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2015, 03:44:39 PM »
yep. easy call. Austin wins.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 03:50:18 PM »
yeah RD is correct here. you can move back later. but once you do you're not ever going to Austin anymore

Yeah. I'd like to think that I could keep going up to Austin for stuff but I know that after a while I'd give up and/or not want to look desperate to do things with people.

Definitely leaning towards staying. Thanks gE.c.

Anyone else (wacky) having similar decisions to make?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »
Is there a group at your new job that commutes from Austin? Maybe you could carpool. That would make the commute a whole lot easier to handle.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 04:06:26 PM »
i made a similar decision once when i took a job in topeka. that decision was to stay living in lawrence and commute thirty minutes to topeka. great call on my part. choosing where you live is one of the few choices that you actually get to make in life. like you work at the place that will hire and pay you. but, live? you get to live anywhere you damn want. always choose the place that you would like more. a couple bucks a month and shaving fifteen minutes off a commute be damned.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:09:54 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 04:08:55 PM »
I have found that venn diagrams help in situations like this.Seriously.
Draw circles about 3-5 miles (or whatever makes the most sense) around where your friends live, where you work, where you like to hang out, etc. You know, for all of the things that you like to do. Live in the place with the most overlap.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 04:10:30 PM »
Draw circles about 3-5 miles (or whatever makes the most sense) around where your friends live, where you work, where you like to hang out, etc. You know, for all of the things that you like to do. Live in the place with the most overlap.

It kind of sounds like he would need 20-30 mile circles to get any overlap at all, though.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2015, 04:12:55 PM »
My buddy works at farmers all the way in Olathe and he use to live downtown by me. He moved closer with his gf who also works at farmers off 119th street and he's regretted it ever since. He's moving back downtown this summer. Until Ms. Wacky and I start thinking about little wacky's, we'll probably stay downtown. We'll probably aim for a bigger place soon tho.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »
i made a similar decision once when i took a job in topeka. that decision was to stay living in lawrence and commute thirty minutes to topeka. great call on my part.

I know several people that do this. Considering Austin is superior to Lawrence this is definitely an easy call.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2015, 04:16:31 PM »
I don't know if this SM job is your dream job or whatever, but you could always stay in Austin and commute while looking for a different job in Austin.  You could have your cake and eat it, too.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »
i made a similar decision once when i took a job in topeka. that decision was to stay living in lawrence and commute thirty minutes to topeka. great call on my part.

I know several people that do this. Considering Austin is superior to Lawrence this is definitely an easy call.

San Marcos seems a whole lot better than Topeka, though. I would definitely commute to Topeka from Lawrence. I wouldn't commute to a place that is actually desirable to live in just to stay in Austin. That said, I really don't know a whole lot about San Marcos and could be totally wrong.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
Is there a group at your new job that commutes from Austin? Maybe you could carpool. That would make the commute a whole lot easier to handle.

There are two coworkers that live up in Austin, but they come into work at different times. But I'm gonna try and get something together.

My buddy works at farmers all the way in Olathe and he use to live downtown by me. He moved closer with his gf who also works at farmers off 119th street and he's regretted it ever since. He's moving back downtown this summer. Until Ms. Wacky and I start thinking about little wacky's, we'll probably stay downtown. We'll probably aim for a bigger place soon tho.

i made a similar decision once when i took a job in topeka. that decision was to stay living in lawrence and commute thirty minutes to topeka. great call on my part. choosing where you live is one of the few choices that you actually get to make in life. like you work at the place that will hire and pay you. but, live? you get to live anywhere you damn want. always choose the place that you would like more. a couple bucks a month and shaving fifteen minutes off a commute be damned.

Solid points here.

I don't know if this SM job is your dream job or whatever, but you could always stay in Austin and commute while looking for a different job in Austin.  You could have your cake and eat it, too.

I'm pretty satisfied with my job. I have designs on sticking around for a while unless I get an offer I can't refuse or something.

San Marcos seems a whole lot better than Topeka, though. I would definitely commute to Topeka from Lawrence. I wouldn't commute to a place that is actually desirable to live in just to stay in Austin. That said, I really don't know a whole lot about San Marcos and could be totally wrong.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, if Austin wasn't nearby I'd be perfectly fine with living in San Marcos. So it's a good problem to have.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 06:48:32 PM »

Yeah. I'd like to think that I could keep going up to Austin for stuff but I know that after a while I'd give up and/or not want to look desperate to do things with people.

Definitely leaning towards staying. Thanks gE.c.

Anyone else (wacky) having similar decisions to make?

Yep.  Live close to what you like to do evenings/weekends or you will stop doing them.  Move later if priorities change. 

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »
Smart

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2015, 10:44:32 PM »
find a better place in Austin that helps your commute and wallet.  the idea of leaving what is widely regarded as one of the best places to live in the US to save 10 minutes of drive time is one crazy son of a bitching concept.

also, san marcos sounds very ethnic/scary

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »
I would live in south Austin and reverse commute to the better job in SM. It sounds like the drive time is about equal and you'd get to stay closer to your social life.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 08:55:12 AM »
Stay in Austin but get a San Marcos neck tattoo so people know where you come from.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2015, 09:01:22 AM »

Stay in Austin but get a San Marcos neck tattoo so people know where you come from.
yes. Winner.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »
find a better place in Austin that helps your commute and wallet.  the idea of leaving what is widely regarded as one of the best places to live in the US to save 10 minutes of drive time is one crazy son of a bitching concept.

Well we're also talking like potentially an extra $300+ a month in rent difference between Austin and SM unless I want to live in a total shithole in Austin. That's a lot of cilantro. But solid point. Also,

also, san marcos sounds very ethnic/scary

are you clamsing here or are you serious because if you're serious what

:surprised:

(not my hs tho)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:36:48 PM by 42 »

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2015, 02:15:31 PM »
new crap has come to light

Quote from: wikipedia
Nickname(s): San Marvelous

:D