Author Topic: Who is the worst in-game coach in the Big 12?  (Read 10091 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Who is the worst in-game coach in the Big 12?
« on: March 13, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
after watching last night, im almost positive it is rick barnes.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the worst in-game coach in the Big 12?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »
Generally its whoever has the worst players. Barnes' collapse was no worse than Lon's a week or so ago, though it was a bigger game for Rick and his team.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 08:49:02 AM »
Generally its whoever has the worst players. Barnes' collapse was no worse than Lon's a week or so ago, though it was a bigger game for Rick and his team.

i dont remember lon's being that bad. what mistakes did he make that you can point out?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51:05 AM »

i dont remember lon's being that bad. what mistakes did he make that you can point out?

Fair point. After giving up about 12 straight I probably would have just run iso plays for Buddy (Big 12 POY), but Hilton Magic, etc.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:52:26 AM »
It's probably oscar.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »
Also, given his recruiting, Barnes is the coach who does less with more the most in the Big 12. Last night was just a continuation of that.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »

Fair point. After giving up about 12 straight I probably would have just run iso plays for Buddy (Big 12 POY), but Hilton Magic, etc.

i think lon screwed up in his offense, but tactically he didnt make as many mistakes. he called timeouts when he needed to a stayed aggressive in the offense. rick did not.

ricks screw ups that i remember 13 hours later-
1. somewhere in the 10-0 run did not use a timeout. he had used them in the first half and early in the second to calm his team down and get a bucket. for some reason, he thought he was out.
2. got a 10 second call on one of the final possessions when he had a timeout. freshman point guard, sure, but he could have called the TO for him.
3. that NBA three by felix with 6 seconds left. i think he still had a timeout to call after the initial play broke down. could be wrong though.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 08:59:24 AM »
oh and also he was running 0 offense with like 4 minutes to go. no pressure on isu to continue defending the ball and no way for texas to draw a foul and hit free throws.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 09:38:58 AM »
oh and also he was running 0 offense with like 4 minutes to go. no pressure on isu to continue defending the ball and no way for texas to draw a foul and hit free throws.

Yup. He was damn near running the four corners with six minutes left.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 09:39:36 AM »

Yup. He was damn near running the four corners with six minutes left.

Coaches who go possession ball with a lead way too early are very annoying.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 10:06:02 AM »
Who's the worst in game coach? It's Barnes or Drew.

Barnes made some terrible offensive decisions in the second half last night and not putting any pressure at all on Monte Morris going full court with 5 seconds left is just inexcusable.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
I usually fall back to Barnes....but oscar did lose a game with how many seconds left?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 10:35:02 AM »
Going 4 corners was a huge  :flush: But, I still love mocking Barnes haters. They are the same as Mack haters. Barnes has a higher win % at TX than Bob Huggins, Frank Martin, Lon Kruger, Tex Winter, or Jack Hartman at KSU (and oscar weber at any stop in his career). Unless there was some stud who won shitloads from olden days that I don't know about Barnes has a higher win % at TX than any coach ever at KState. And it's not like Texas is some legendary basketball program. Since the 50s they have 1 elite 8 with a coach other than Barnes. And Barnes has never missed the post season (though this year will probably be the second time he missed the NCAA, the other being a lol CBI year I can't believe they participated in).

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »
Huggins did the same in the game at KU.  WV up 7 or 8 with 3 minuntes to go and they went to a stall, stand at half court and hold the ball and then jack up some stupid shot. 

I hate coaches that don't stay aggressive.
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

catzacker

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
Going 4 corners was a huge  :flush: But, I still love mocking Barnes haters. They are the same as Mack haters. Barnes has a higher win % at TX than Bob Huggins, Frank Martin, Lon Kruger, Tex Winter, or Jack Hartman at KSU (and oscar weber at any stop in his career). Unless there was some stud who won shitloads from olden days that I don't know about Barnes has a higher win % at TX than any coach ever at KState. And it's not like Texas is some legendary basketball program. Since the 50s they have 1 elite 8 with a coach other than Barnes. And Barnes has never missed the post season (though this year will probably be the second time he missed the NCAA and he had one lol CBI year I can't believe they participated in).

:love:
i feel sorry for people with fat faces, cause SD just put this post right in them.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 10:57:28 AM »
Going 4 corners was a huge  :flush: But, I still love mocking Barnes haters. They are the same as Mack haters. Barnes has a higher win % at TX than Bob Huggins, Frank Martin, Lon Kruger, Tex Winter, or Jack Hartman at KSU (and oscar weber at any stop in his career). Unless there was some stud who won shitloads from olden days that I don't know about Barnes has a higher win % at TX than any coach ever at KState. And it's not like Texas is some legendary basketball program. Since the 50s they have 1 elite 8 with a coach other than Barnes. And Barnes has never missed the post season (though this year will probably be the second time he missed the NCAA and he had one lol CBI year I can't believe they participated in).

steve dave (irl friend),

happy birthday

your opinion is wrong on rick barnes

i hope you enjoy your day

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »

steve dave,

happy birthday

tell me why. I enjoy stats and reasoning and long walks on the you looking like an idiot.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »

:love:
i feel sorry for people with fat faces, cause SD just put this post right in them.

thanks bud

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 11:06:47 AM »
Barnes is great when compared to just about everybody but Coach K and Self.

Regarding the worst "in-game coach" in the Big 12, it's like asking which cheerleader helps the team the most. They can maybe affect a basket or 2 a game.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 11:10:15 AM »

steve dave (irl friend),

happy birthday

Yeah sd, there's more to being a good coach than just winning all the time and never missing the postseason.  I'm sorry you can't see that.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »

Regarding the worst "in-game coach" in the Big 12, it's like asking which cheerleader helps the team the most. They can maybe affect a basket or 2 a game.

I'd say Barnes is a top 15 coach.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »

Yeah it would be really difficult to name more than 15 better coaches.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »

Well yeah, if you base it on hand picked stats like winning pct. or postseason success.  But based on other stats like a hatred for Texas then he's not even in the top 100.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »

steve dave,

happy birthday

tell me why. I enjoy stats and reasoning and long walks on the you looking like an idiot.

Its not about what he does, its about what he does with what he has in the last 5 or so years.

Since the 2008 class, Barnes has brought 16 Top 100 high school recruits to Texas. 7 of those were Top 25 players. 6 of those were McDonald's All Americans. IMO, the results during that time do not live up to recruiting that type of talent.

2009 - 4th in the Big 12, 7 seed and 1-1 in the NCAAs.
2010 - 6th in the Big 12, 8 seed and 0-1 in the NCAAs.
2011 - 2nd in the Big 12, 4 seed and 1-1 in the NCAAs.
2012 - 6th in the Big 12, 11 seed and 0-1 in the NCAAs.
2013 - 7th in the Big 12, under .500 CBI lol appearance (loss).
2014 - 3rd (tie) in the Big 12, 7 seed and 1-1 in the NCAAs.
2015 - 6th in the Big 12, bubble team.

Those types of finishes don't seem to line up with the talent he recruits. Don't get me wrong, that is a decent stretch and I'd probably be happy with it at K-State.

However, if I had a coach that went from finishing in the Big 12 1st (3 times), 2nd (4 times), and 3rd (2 times) with 2 Sweet Sixteens, 2 Elite 8s, and 1 Final Four in his first 10 years, then I'd probably be looking forward to a change.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »
steve dave,

happy birthday

-Lost in the 2nd round with rough ridin' Kevin Durant and DJamer Augustin

-Texas is literally the easiest (read: best) job in the country and it's not even close. Coaches get paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, recruiting elite talent is easy pickings, facilities are elite, there's absolutely no pressure on the coach to do anything ever. They could lure a coach from damn near anywhere except maybe 6-7 schools.

-Outside of the blue bloods, history in college basketball is becoming increasingly irrelevant. If you're a P5 program, have a fuckton of money and no other program in your conference outside of Kansas that *should* be able to compete with you long term, you should be in contention for at least a Sweet 16 nearly every season. Under Barnes they aren't.

-He hasn't advanced past the Round of 32 since 2008. From 1998 to 2008 he did an excellent job. But he's lost a step since then.

-His recruiting has fallen off as of late as he's not locking up as many top recruits in Texas. Mind you, Never mind. He still gets enough talent to be the #1 shot blocking team in the country. And they're on the bubble.

-He does crap like the four corners when up 13 points like all the damn time.

Look, I don't think he's terrible. I think he's overall a better coach than Drew, Ford, or (especially) oscar. But like Mack he's lost a step and at this point Texas can do better than him.

Also, what _FAN said.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:12:05 PM by 42 »