Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066790 times)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #500 on: May 11, 2010, 12:37:08 AM »
Another thing that hurts K-State is the fact that K-State isn't part of the American Association of Universities (AAU).  The AAU consists of 61 universities (prestigious schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.).  The Big 10 requires their members to be a part of the AAU, and the Pac 10 is pretty selective about academic standards as well.  The tough part for K-State is that they really don't offer anything academically or athletically, and even less when it comes to TV sets.  KU at least has a nationally recognized basketball program, and is a part of the AAU.  KU also makes nearly twice as much as K-State in athletic revenue, and has almost three times as many TV sets in the KC area.   

I just hope that if the Pac 10/Big 12 realignment does go down, KU isn't forced to bring K-State with us.  If so, KU might be on the outside looking in as well.

As always Ben only looks at one year, 2 years ago when Lew counted a bunch of capital contributions as revenue (things that some schools don't do) . . . the next fiscal year, ku's gross revenues dropped dramatically, and their net revenues dropped by 2/3's.    Right now, ku athletics is operating in the red according to Lew Perkins.   If ku were to have "nearly twice as much" athletic revenue than K-State, ku's revenue would have be nearly $100 million dollars . . . they finished at $70 million last year, and another $30 million ain't walkin into Lew's office anytime soon.    As always Ben hyper embellishes reality.

In addition, the Pac-10 isn't looking at ku in anything even close to awe from an academic perspective.   In fact, from an extramural research funding perspective I suspect that ku is at or near the bottom of the AAU schools.   They're not even near the top of the Big 12 in extramural research funding, and they need kumed's numbers to surpass K-State's extramural research funding.   When I looked at ku's extramural research numbers compared to the Big 10 schools they would have been next to last or dead last in the Big 10 and it wasn't even close compared to the top Big 10 schools in extramural research funding.   

Dax, your response made my night. Thank you for this.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 11, 2010, 07:06:45 AM »
Another thing that hurts K-State is the fact that K-State isn't part of the American Association of Universities (AAU).  The AAU consists of 61 universities (prestigious schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.).  The Big 10 requires their members to be a part of the AAU, and the Pac 10 is pretty selective about academic standards as well.  The tough part for K-State is that they really don't offer anything academically or athletically, and even less when it comes to TV sets.  KU at least has a nationally recognized basketball program, and is a part of the AAU.  KU also makes nearly twice as much as K-State in athletic revenue, and has almost three times as many TV sets in the KC area.  

I just hope that if the Pac 10/Big 12 realignment does go down, KU isn't forced to bring K-State with us.  If so, KU might be on the outside looking in as well.

As always Ben only looks at one year, 2 years ago when Lew counted a bunch of capital contributions as revenue (things that some schools don't do) . . . the next fiscal year, ku's gross revenues dropped dramatically, and their net revenues dropped by 2/3's.    Right now, ku athletics is operating in the red according to Lew Perkins.   If ku were to have "nearly twice as much" athletic revenue than K-State, ku's revenue would have be nearly $100 million dollars . . . they finished at $70 million last year, and another $30 million ain't walkin into Lew's office anytime soon.    As always Ben hyper embellishes reality.

In addition, the Pac-10 isn't looking at ku in anything even close to awe from an academic perspective.   In fact, from an extramural research funding perspective I suspect that ku is at or near the bottom of the AAU schools.   They're not even near the top of the Big 12 in extramural research funding, and they need kumed's numbers to surpass K-State's extramural research funding.   When I looked at ku's extramural research numbers compared to the Big 10 schools they would have been next to last or dead last in the Big 10 and it wasn't even close compared to the top Big 10 schools in extramural research funding.    

Not to drift too far off-topic, but would the bioterrorism facility change the amount of research funding at K-State?

Offline Maccat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 11, 2010, 07:44:44 AM »
30 million dollars isn't walking into Lew's office.  But 4.5 million is walking out with him.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 11, 2010, 07:50:47 AM »
and I forgot about Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois under Weber and Painter (and Lowery until his recruits started coming).

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 11, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »
Another thing that hurts K-State is the fact that K-State isn't part of the American Association of Universities (AAU).  The AAU consists of 61 universities (prestigious schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.).  The Big 10 requires their members to be a part of the AAU, and the Pac 10 is pretty selective about academic standards as well.  The tough part for K-State is that they really don't offer anything academically or athletically, and even less when it comes to TV sets.  KU at least has a nationally recognized basketball program, and is a part of the AAU.  KU also makes nearly twice as much as K-State in athletic revenue, and has almost three times as many TV sets in the KC area.  

I just hope that if the Pac 10/Big 12 realignment does go down, KU isn't forced to bring K-State with us.  If so, KU might be on the outside looking in as well.

As always Ben only looks at one year, 2 years ago when Lew counted a bunch of capital contributions as revenue (things that some schools don't do) . . . the next fiscal year, ku's gross revenues dropped dramatically, and their net revenues dropped by 2/3's.    Right now, ku athletics is operating in the red according to Lew Perkins.   If ku were to have "nearly twice as much" athletic revenue than K-State, ku's revenue would have be nearly $100 million dollars . . . they finished at $70 million last year, and another $30 million ain't walkin into Lew's office anytime soon.    As always Ben hyper embellishes reality.

In addition, the Pac-10 isn't looking at ku in anything even close to awe from an academic perspective.   In fact, from an extramural research funding perspective I suspect that ku is at or near the bottom of the AAU schools.   They're not even near the top of the Big 12 in extramural research funding, and they need kumed's numbers to surpass K-State's extramural research funding.   When I looked at ku's extramural research numbers compared to the Big 10 schools they would have been next to last or dead last in the Big 10 and it wasn't even close compared to the top Big 10 schools in extramural research funding.    

Not to drift too far off-topic, but would the bioterrorism facility change the amount of research funding at K-State?

Probably . . . the Pat Roberts Lab has picked up $13 million plus lead or co-lead grants in the last year, and the USDA has moved another lab from Utah to K-State. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 11, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »
and I forgot about Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois under Weber and Painter (and Lowery until his recruits started coming).

Sunshine on dog's asses.   Great.  May I direct your attention to every other jerk water town with a mid major who sucks crap?

Sugar Dick

« Reply #506 on: May 11, 2010, 08:58:46 AM »
Two Things:

1)  All black people aren't from large inner city's.  Stop being  :opcat:.  

2)  LoL, at KU people thinking they're in any way superior to K-State.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 11, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »

Sunshine on dog's asses.   Great.  May I direct your attention to every other jerk water town with a mid major who sucks crap?

Yeah.  There aren't that many.  I mean, I guess there's some MAC schools, but they all suck at basketball no matter what, so location is irrelevant.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 11, 2010, 09:16:49 AM »
If you're from a city, places like Omaha are just as tiny as Manhattan.  But it's not like anyone has done an analysis of how many city players vs. country players are on these good mid-major teams anyway.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 11, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »

did rusty just say that two star football recruits were good because jordy nelson and jon mcraw both play in the nfl  :surprised:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 11, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »
Of the schools sys listed, gonzaga is in the smallest market at around 200k people.  

Kentucky should not be in this discussion, 1. the football team is not that bad  2. it makes ridiculous amounts of money.

The rest of these schools are either "the school" in a city of decent size or in a large enough city to support multiple teams.  The school I fear we would have the most in common with is CSU

Give me a fracking break.  Are you really suggesting that Manhattan is on par with Ft. Collins?

I originally typed NMSU but could not bring myself to post it  :cry:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 11, 2010, 09:58:18 AM »
Conspiracy Theory:  Is Kietz trying to Fitz this up?

if so, well done sir    :kstatriot:

Maybe.  Kind of like Dave Stewart, a disgruntled alumni.  He's probably just reached a point in his career where he has come to terms with KSU being inferior, and understands that he can make more money by just embracing it.

I had this same thought, maybe KKeitz is hoping if sheds enough light on the situation, there is someway the Big 12 will try to salvage this thing.  I really don't think it's possible, but here where my thoughts.

1. Go to SEC type schedule where you have a cross division partner ala Tenn v Ala.  I would suggest OU v NU, UT v MU,  ATM v CU and rest don't matter but these would add the best match ups between the biggest media markets, adding value to TV contract

2.  Pac 10/Big 12 network with the at least 1 non con matchup for each team - may be hard to do with the 12 v 10 thing.

essentially, try to make NU and MU more of a "have" than a "have not" even if it is at the expense of the other 2nd tier teams in the conference

The42Yardstick

« Reply #512 on: May 11, 2010, 10:21:02 AM »
the most important question in this whole realignment discussion is: how is fatty holding up? fats, how would you take the breakup of the Dr. Pepper? Inquiring minds must know

Sugar Dick

« Reply #513 on: May 11, 2010, 10:27:42 AM »

2.  Pac 10/Big 12 network with the at least 1 non con matchup for each team - may be hard to do with the 12 v 10 thing.

This is kind of what I was thinking.  Would be hilarious if it ended up being worth more to each school than the Big 10 network.

Sugar Dick's Take:
I think the whole "jump to the Big 10" is a short-sighted move (bent on frustration/anger in Mizery's case).  Depending on what the other conferences do, this could end up being worse than the "wait and see" approach taken by the Big XII and other conferences.  Of course, given the track record of the Big XII it's a risk I'm sure MU and NU were willing to take.

Let's face it, this is entirely Football motivated (i.e. Nebraska and Notre Dame) because that's where the money is (probably could have just said money motivated).  The Big 10 has been a putrid football conference for 10 years and has been riding its legacy into BCS ass whoopings for too long.  After a while that's going to catch up with them, whether it be TV ratings, recruiting, BCS waking up, fan outrage, whatever.  Brand recognition only goes so far.

The part that has me worried, is the Big 10 execs understand this and begun making moves to mitigate it.  The problem they have is they are constrained by geography (having 25 varsity sports is a weakness these schools have), so these are their best options, and are not ideal.  In my world it's desperation to keep the conference competitive with the real powers, disguised as "we're the best" bullshit.

Academics, basketball, and all other sports aren't even worth talking about, but make for great disc jockey talking points.  LOL at anyone seriously bringing that to the convo.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 11, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »
Sugar Dick's Take:
I think the whole "jump to the Big 10" is a short-sighted move (bent on frustration/anger in Mizery's case).

i sort of agree.  but because it is all based on the need to produce live content for a dedicated cable channel.  if the media landscape changes, the current b10 channel revenue advantage could evaporate overnight (possible landscape changes: espn/other sports channels dislike the competition/model and attack it; school-based, on-demand internet content; expansion of conference-based cable channels; cable channels offered 1 x 1 rather than bundled; itune model of reasonable priced, open-marketplace single game pay-per-view; etc.).

on the other hand, the big 10 would still be a great conference, if not as great w. 16 teams as it was at 10 or would have been at 12.  and they could always just fracture it and the entire conference affiliation network again if it is became tremendously unwieldy.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 11, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »
Lost in the discussion so far as Mizzou and Nebraska are concerned is that the revenue pie of the Big 10 has to be sliced more ways once they join.  Their take in the Big 12 may actually be larger than their revenue sharing in the Big 10 if that conference expands to 16 teams.  Just sayin'.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 11, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »
Lost in the discussion so far as Mizzou and Nebraska are concerned is that the revenue pie of the Big 10 has to be sliced more ways once they join.  Their take in the Big 12 may actually be larger than their revenue sharing in the Big 10 if that conference expands to 16 teams.  Just sayin'.

Not even close.  The Big 12 doesn't split revenue equally, which is what all the fuss is about.  Texas made $8 million more in TV revenue last year than Baylor.  Why would Texas want to give up that advantage?  The Big 12 is a dead man walking unless they realign with the Pac 10 and start from scratch.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 11, 2010, 11:40:41 AM »

Those all-talk pussy schools aren't going anywhere.  eff Missouri and eff Nebraska....and eff the Big 10.  Who do they think they are anyway?  The big 12 is moving on to greener, pacific coast, pastures.  With or without those ingrates.  :driving:

can't decide which is funnier:

-watching the big 10 look Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) when everybody turns them down, realizing that there are other ways to increase revenue without having to conform to their silly cultish ways.

or

-watching NU and MU go to the lame ass big 10 only to watch the big 12 become twice and lucrative after partnering with the pac 10 for football TV/scheduling (only thing this mess is about).  

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 11, 2010, 11:47:41 AM »
Texas made $8 million more in TV revenue last year than Baylor. 

What's your source for this?

Which means Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska will reap more than Baylor or Iowa State. In 2008, the difference between the largest payout (Texas) and the smallest payout (Baylor) was approximately $2.7 million.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_14459651

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 11, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »
If you're from a city, places like Omaha are just as tiny as Manhattan. 

Please direct me the nationally known (featured on TV, etc) soul food restaurant in Manhattan.

http://www.bigmamaskitchen.com/page/1h0l9/Home.html

Also, which Manhattan highschool and neighborhoods most closely correspond to Omaha Central High School and that district's neighborhoods?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 11, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
Ben continues to pull $hit out of his ass right and left . . . the poor kid isn't even close anymore on his so called "facts".

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 11, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
Ben continues to pull $hit out of his ass right and left . . . the poor kid isn't even close anymore on his so called "facts".

What are you questioning?

:confused:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 11, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »
Let's keep on task here, fuckers.

This is the conference re-alignment doomsday thread. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 11, 2010, 11:58:10 AM »
Texas made $2.8 million more than Baylor on TV revenue last year Ben . . . not $8 million.  

You also said in another post that ku had "nearly twice as much" athletic revenue than K-State, it's not even close to being twice as much . . . $25 plus million short of being twice as much.   Plus as I said, ku's revenues plummeted year over year from FY 2008 to FY 2009 . . . and Lew says in FY 2010, ku athletics is operating in the red.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 11, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »
If you're from a city, places like Omaha are just as tiny as Manhattan. 

Please direct me the nationally known (featured on TV, etc) soul food restaurant in Manhattan.

http://www.bigmamaskitchen.com/page/1h0l9/Home.html

Also, which Manhattan highschool and neighborhoods most closely correspond to Omaha Central High School and that district's neighborhoods?

I'd say that pretty much covers everything a high school kid who has never heard of either place cares about.