Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066390 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #20575 on: June 07, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
TCU= Lucky as crap Aggie (Lucky Aggie for short)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20576 on: June 07, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »
West Virginia is Coon Aggie.

Not Coal Aggie.

Not sure about this.  I like coal, canary or collapse aggie.

Hatfield Aggie
And if Tech comes along later? McCoy Aggie?
No denied, only if Louisville joins- McCoy Aggie.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20577 on: June 07, 2012, 11:27:51 AM »
TCU should be FitzedAggie

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20578 on: June 07, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »
TCU should be FitzedAggie

Horny toadaggie
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #20579 on: June 07, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »
everyone shut up

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20580 on: June 07, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
SportsbyBrooks Twitter Exclusive 1: SbB has learned Mark Emmert is considering leaving his position as NCAA President.

Getting out so that this all doesn't go down on his watch?  :dunno:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #20581 on: June 07, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #20582 on: June 07, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »
Lol u mad?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20583 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »
everyone shut up

these posts are my favorite, sd. always at the perfect time.

Offline Legit Elite

• Resident Vanier Barber
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20584 on: June 07, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »
TCU = Funkytown Aggie
Free edge up to defensive starters when opponents held under 10.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20585 on: June 07, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
Athlon Article from 1998 regarding realignment, pretty interesting

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/conference-realignment-history-lesson

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20586 on: June 07, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/conference-realignment-history-lesson

but losing the state of Colorado and the Nebraska-Colorado rivalry hurts

:lol:

Offline Legit Elite

• Resident Vanier Barber
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20587 on: June 07, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »

eff that UNL kicker that missed the field goal in the 2002 game
Free edge up to defensive starters when opponents held under 10.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20588 on: June 07, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »

eff that UNL kicker that missed the field goal in the 2002 game

What missed field goal are you talking about?  I used to work with that kicker's mom and brother. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20589 on: June 08, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1373523

SARASOTA - In the face of rampant speculation about Florida State and its conference alignment, FSU President Eric Barron said that no steps were taken towards making any decision on conference issues following two days of FSU Board of Trustees meetings at the Ringling Museum in Sarasota.

Barron broached the topic of realignment during the workshop portion of the BOT meeting on Thursday afternoon, authoring a two-page handout that listed seven bullet points of conference discussion including academic success, fan support, cost factors, conference payout and the future of the BCS. On Friday, Barron classified it as a "briefing on the apples and oranges and all of the different factors" and was clear when saying that no substantive steps towards investigating conference realignment were taken. No power was given to Barron or the board to make a decision on the issue. Barron also maintained that there will be no fact-finding committee formed to look at the conference issue.

And when asked if there was anything to keep an eye on between now and August 15, when FSU would be required to notify the ACC it was leaving, Barron said "No".

"We are not seeking anything, we are not expecting anything, there are no conversations that are going on," Barron said. "But as my board chair (Allan Bense) said, all boards that are responsible would take any opportunity presented and study it. OK, that's not an invitation, that's just a statement of fact."

"President Barron was very thoughtful and deliberate and asked us to be very thoughtful and deliberate about what's going on in respect to conferences," Bense said Thursday. Bense took over as the BOT chairman on Friday following Andy Haggard's two-year term. "It was a good analysis, a lot of it is still a moving target but I think we need what President Barron said, just gather all of the facts and make sure that we are doing our due diligence and so on.

"I would assume all of us who are trustees are following this closely. I'm sure that President Barron is following it closely. So I think it is being given the proper attention. We'll see what happens."

Haggard told Warchant.com Thursday that the BOT "could" empower Barron to make conference decisions in the future, but there is no plan in place to do that currently. The next BOT meeting is on Sept. 6.

Barron has been reserved in any talk of FSU changing leagues since the speculation began with Haggard's comments regarding the ACC to Warchant last month. His last public comments on the matter came in the form of a memo that was sent to FSU fans and alumni outlining the benefits of the ACC compared to the Big 12 soon after Haggard's comments. His handout on Thursday was a balanced breakdown of the pro's and con's of both leagues.

"Basically this is the way to think about it: We have a happy existence. Like anybody else, we would like to have more money. We have a lot of opportunities for more money. And I said (during the workshop on Thursday), there are a lot of reasons why conference issues are in the news. More money is one of them. Another one, quite frankly, is sort of a feeding frenzy over this particular topic. It gets a lot of people's attentions and they have a lot of opinions. But of course any decision that you make is based on a whole host of things, including comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges on what the resources are like."

Barron expressed his pleasure with the $1.6 million in additional revenue FSU received from the ACC earlier this month - which may have come from two teams earning BCS berths - calling it a "pleasant surprise." He said FSU only received about $300,000 to $400,000 in additional payout last season.

Barron stressed the importance and his personal feeling that any four-team playoff format should include conference champions. The breakdown of the playoff format has been considered by many as a turning point issue on whether the ACC would stay viable for Florida State as a football conference.

"My personal feeling is that a huge factor has to be conference champions (included in the BCS)," Barron said. "If you look at any kind of four-team playoff system for example, and you've got more conferences eligible than that, than winning a conference championship is not enough so you're going to have to look at strength of schedule or some other analysis by a committee or by polls or by something. But for my particular viewpoint, the most important factor here is that you have to be a conference champion. And that should be step one in my opinion."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #20590 on: June 08, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
 :zzz:

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20591 on: June 08, 2012, 02:08:59 PM »
:zzz:

Yea, just recording for the book. Might be something that sticks out later.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20592 on: June 08, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »
Actually, this is kind of interesting

"We are not seeking anything, we are not expecting anything, there are no conversations that are going on," Barron said. "But as my board chair (Allan Bense) said, all boards that are responsible would take any opportunity presented and study it. OK, that's not an invitation, that's just a statement of fact."

In other words, bring on the offer, Big12.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20593 on: June 08, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »
President "Baghdad Bob" Barron presiding... is it funny that they hold their meetings at the Ringling Museum?  :dunno:

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20594 on: June 08, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
There is nothing to see here until they sort out the "playoffs."

If the SEC gets their "best 4 teams" model then FSU and Clemson may want to join our conference to make some extra money. Or they may not. Probably not.

But if the big 10 and Pac12 get their "conference champions" model, then FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and everybody else will all be begging to get into the Big XII.

We'll probably want to go to 12 and have a championship game.  14 is a pain in the ass.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #20595 on: June 09, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »

If the SEC gets their "best 4 teams" model then FSU and Clemson may want to join our conference to make some extra money. Or they may not. Probably not.

But if the big 10 and Pac12 get their "conference champions" model, then FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and everybody else will all be begging to get into the Big XII.

We'll probably want to go to 12 and have a championship game.  14 is a pain in the ass.

Ira's right, that nailing down the championship structure is the next hurdle. 

But, Clemson and FSU are coming, regardless, IMO.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #20596 on: June 09, 2012, 11:21:24 PM »

Well, I think Florida State is, eventually.  I think Clemson really wants to come.

I think the Big 12 wants Notre Dame and Florida State so we can stop at twelve.

What's going on with the SEC right now in terms of how they're dealing with 14 teams is pretty illuminating.  They pretty much all hate it, except for MU and A&M, which is to be expected.  And they're open about hating it.  LSU is making a big stink about having to play Florida every year, and they make a good point about inequity.  Why should they get the strongest program in the East (long-term) as an annual rival?  Why does Bama get to beat up on Tennessee?  Why does Arkansas get to beat up on Missouri?  Assuming A&M gets better, who's to say So. Carolina will be any good after Spurrier leaves?  The in-fighting that goes into those decisions drives a wedge in the conference.  Considering where we've just come from, does the Big 12 want to jump right into that mess?

Bowlsby is a sharp guy.  He knows how twelve is ideal for numerous reasons.  If Dodds really feels like he can deliver ND in 2016, and Bowlsby can spend the next few years working on Swarbick (who is a friend of his) we'll sit on our hands until then.  IMO, that was the real intent behind his "fraternity" remark and the reason why everyone hammered home the, "We're happy at ten," stuff.  I don't think it was lawsuit driven.  I think Neinas and Bowlsby have laid out what the future looks like and how those two open spots will look like golden Wonka tickets about five years from now, so everyone is content to wait.

If we let it play out for a few years, and let people see the financial impacts of the new system, we'll have people knocking on our door.  No one knows how much the TV contract is going to be, officially, yet.  No one knows how much money we'd get from a playoff cut.  No one knows how much the SEC/Big 12 bowl game will be worth.  If the LHN can take off, maybe a Notre Dame network can take off as well, which would make it even more likely they'll come here.

But it's going to take some time to work through all of this.  FSU just got some unexpected money from the ACC that will cover their shortfall, and the playoff doesn't go into effect until 2014, so there's no immediate need to do anything.  At this point, if I'm really being pragmatic about it, I think they just let this Big 12 stuff fester for another year, like A&M did, and then get serious next year.

And I said it earlier in the thread, and I'll say it again.  I can easily see a scenario where we add FSU and go to an eleven team configuration for a couple of years until ND can join.  If we really, really think we have a shot, we're going to wait it out.  There's no need to bring Clemson in now.  They aren't going anywhere.  If Notre Dame passes and signs another long term contract with NBC, then we can go out there and grab them then.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20597 on: June 10, 2012, 07:42:54 AM »

Well, I think Florida State is, eventually.  I think Clemson really wants to come.

What's going on with the SEC right now in terms of how they're dealing with 14 teams is pretty illuminating.  They pretty much all hate it, except for MU and A&M, which is to be expected.  And they're open about hating it.  LSU is making a big stink about having to play Florida every year, and they make a good point about inequity.  Why should they get the strongest program in the East (long-term) as an annual rival?  Why does Bama get to beat up on Tennessee?  Why does Arkansas get to beat up on Missouri?  Assuming A&M gets better, who's to say So. Carolina will be any good after Spurrier leaves?  The in-fighting that goes into those decisions drives a wedge in the conference.  Considering where we've just come from, does the Big 12 want to jump right into that mess?

Bowlsby is a sharp guy.  He knows how twelve is ideal for numerous reasons.  If Dodds really feels like he can deliver ND in 2016, and Bowlsby can spend the next few years working on Swarbick (who is a friend of his) we'll sit on our hands until then.  IMO, that was the real intent behind his "fraternity" remark and the reason why everyone hammered home the, "We're happy at ten," stuff.  I don't think it was lawsuit driven.  I think Neinas and Bowlsby have laid out what the future looks like and how those two open spots will look like golden Wonka tickets about five years from now, so everyone is content to wait.

If we let it play out for a few years, and let people see the financial impacts of the new system, we'll have people knocking on our door.  No one knows how much the TV contract is going to be, officially, yet.  No one knows how much money we'd get from a playoff cut.  No one knows how much the SEC/Big 12 bowl game will be worth.  If the LHN can take off, maybe a Notre Dame network can take off as well, which would make it even more likely they'll come here.

But it's going to take some time to work through all of this.  FSU just got some unexpected money from the ACC that will cover their shortfall, and the playoff doesn't go into effect until 2014, so there's no immediate need to do anything.  At this point, if I'm really being pragmatic about it, I think they just let this Big 12 stuff fester for another year, like A&M did, and then get serious next year.

And I said it earlier in the thread, and I'll say it again.  I can easily see a scenario where we add FSU and go to an eleven team configuration for a couple of years until ND can join.  If we really, really think we have a shot, we're going to wait it out.  There's no need to bring Clemson in now.  They aren't going anywhere.  If Notre Dame passes and signs another long term contract with NBC, then we can go out there and grab them then.

Pan, that all makes sense when you lay it out on the table like that. Assuming we add FSU sometime in the next 1-3 years and then wait on ND, isn't there a chance that ND is 5 years more mediocre by 2017? Seems to me that they're becoming less and less of a player in all this as time goes on because they're so plain. Am I missing the boat on all this?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #20598 on: June 10, 2012, 08:33:45 AM »

Pan, that all makes sense when you lay it out on the table like that. Assuming we add FSU sometime in the next 1-3 years and then wait on ND, isn't there a chance that ND is 5 years more mediocre by 2017? Seems to me that they're becoming less and less of a player in all this as time goes on because they're so plain. Am I missing the boat on all this?

Notre Dame will never diminish in value the way you describe.  People still tune in just to see them lose. 

I'd love to see us grab FSU and wait it out.  Best possible scenario.

I love Pan's point about us looking very attractive in 4 years....If ND says no, who knows who is in play for the 12th team by then?   A disgruntled SEC team could even be plucked, who knows?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #20599 on: June 10, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
This thread is insufferable. Can we just get this Armageddon under way?