Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066545 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #19925 on: May 21, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »
The two worst schools in the Big 12 are Texas Tech (160) and WVU (164).  Mississippi and Mississippi State clock in at 143 and 157, respectfully.

For those scoring at home, Kansas State checks in at 143.  And, mainly, we're screwed by our 98% acceptance rate.

None of that really matters to anybody.

No, but it kind of underscores why the partnership makes sense on a lot of different levels.

Honestly, outside of a few key games, if the Big 12 and SEC were to play one OOC game, cross-conference, every year, and they played 9 game conference schedules, what percentage of games, nationally, would be nearly as relevant?  20%?  Maybe?

I mean, my God, it would be insane.

Why stop at one game per year? Why not set up 1 cross-conference game per week?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #19926 on: May 21, 2012, 03:19:29 PM »
Other item of note...

ESPN will be setting up the Network for the SEC.  ESPN owns the LHN. 

Fox owns the Big Ten/Pac-12 networks.  Those conferences are aligned.

If the Big 12 creates a network (or a series of networks) with ESPN, ESPN would control the Tier 1 and Tier 3 content for the Big 12 and the Tier 2 and Tier 3 content for the SEC.

Therefore, every week during football season, ESPN's breakdown of the two strongest conferences are:

Tier 1: Big 12
Tier 2: SEC
Tier 3: Big 12, SEC

During the conference season, there will be 14 games played every week between the two conferences (if each conference has 14 teams).  CBS will get one game, ABC will get one or two games, Fox will get two games, and ESPN will do a bunch of regional SEC telecasts.  At least three or four games every week will fall down into the Tier 3 platforms.

The Big 12 would/could get as much ESPN love as the SEC gets, and that would be gigantic for all of the members of this conference.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19927 on: May 21, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »
The two worst schools in the Big 12 are Texas Tech (160) and WVU (164).  Mississippi and Mississippi State clock in at 143 and 157, respectfully.

For those scoring at home, Kansas State checks in at 143.  And, mainly, we're screwed by our 98% acceptance rate.

No, but it kind of underscores why the partnership makes sense on a lot of different levels.

Honestly, outside of a few key games, if the Big 12 and SEC were to play one OOC game, cross-conference, every year, and they played 9 game conference schedules, what percentage of games, nationally, would be nearly as relevant?  20%?  Maybe?

I'm sure you could.  With the money that would be made, I don't see how it wouldn't be a possibility.

West Virginia/Alabama on ESPN.

Oklahoma/LSU on CBS.

Florida State/Florida on ABC.

Notre Dame/Alabama on ABC.

I mean...wow.

:kstategrad:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:21:48 PM by Panjandrum »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19928 on: May 21, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »
....Big 12 Conference, the league has emerged as at least the second most powerful in the country. 

lol BITB  :lol:

AT LEAST!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19929 on: May 21, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »

I'm sure you could.  With the money that would be made, I don't see how it wouldn't be a possibility.

West Virginia/Alabama on ESPN.

Oklahoma/LSU on CBS.

Florida State/Florida on ABC.

Notre Dame/Alabama on ABC.

I mean...wow.

:kstategrad:

12 Big 12 teams, 12 weeks in a season, etc. If we go to 14, Snyder will try to ensure that we never have to participate.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19930 on: May 21, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »
12 Big 12 teams, 12 weeks in a season, etc. If we go to 14, Snyder will try to ensure that we never have to participate.

The beauty of this administration is that we pat Snyder on the head and tell him to coach football while the non-old lamesauce people make the business decisions.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19931 on: May 21, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »

The beauty of this administration is that we pat Snyder on the head and tell him to coach football while the non-old lamesauce people make the business decisions.

I'm pretty positive Bill would love nothing more than for our admin to do just that.  Instead, they make covert raids on our staff's cell phones.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19932 on: May 21, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »

I can feel my butthurt levels rising.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19933 on: May 21, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »

I'm pretty positive Bill would love nothing more than for our admin to do just that.  Instead, they make covert raids on our staff's cell phones.

You know what I mean.  We don't let him choose what our turf looks like at this point, nor does he make strategic decisions for the athletic department.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19934 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »

You know what I mean.  We don't let him choose what our turf looks like at this point, nor does he make strategic decisions for the athletic department.

He's no Thom Osburn is what yer sayin'?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #19935 on: May 21, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »

:party:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19936 on: May 21, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »
I don't know if you guys have heard this, but some poster on LSU board Tiger Droppings is stating FSU, Clemson, ND and GT are coming and we will stop at this point.  Rumor has it, that ND has agreed to join!!!!!!
You know what that does for me...
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu224/m1garand30064/you%20laugh%20you%20lose/2yo77sk.gif
 :drool: :driving: :gocho:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:45:32 PM by Katdaddy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19937 on: May 21, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »
Swaim (I know I know) and Ingram Smith are now saying that Notre Dame will become an Olympic member then transition to full membership after their NBC contract is up
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19938 on: May 21, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
This is what happen to the little women after a great day like today.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19939 on: May 21, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »
Swaim (I know I know) and Ingram Smith are now saying that Notre Dame will become an Olympic member then transition to full membership after their NBC contract is up

...so you are saying no ND.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19940 on: May 21, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »

Maybe this will help...
I should have been clear...my source just said that ND was going to the Big 12, and that FSU, Clemson and a third team (likely GA Tech) would follow.

The speculation about NC State and VA Tech is all from me...I don't know what the SEC does, but the ACC would be in trouble

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19941 on: May 21, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »

Maybe this will help...
I should have been clear...my source just said that ND was going to the Big 12, and that FSU, Clemson and a third team (likely GA Tech) would follow.

The speculation about NC State and VA Tech is all from me...I don't know what the SEC does, but the ACC would be in trouble

That was nothing more than saying if Swaim says its happening then it won't.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19942 on: May 21, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »
Twitrumors of Louisville in place of GT as #14.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19943 on: May 21, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
Is it weird that I couldn't care less about any of this stuff?

Offline Testy Westy

• Katpak'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19944 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »

Now that I know we're safe I don't either.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19945 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:51 PM »

not weird. wake me up when something legitimate goes down.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:07:57 PM by emawblast »

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19946 on: May 21, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »
Twitrumors of Louisville in place of GT as #14.

That would be a terrible trade.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19947 on: May 21, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
I am still hoping the U will come to their senses

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19948 on: May 21, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »

You shouldn't care.  The jig is up.  We don't need any of these schools. 

I have this image of Shulzy running into the Big XII clubhouse squealing with glee that he has got Florida State and Clemson all lined up and we're saved.  Everyone cheers.  But almost as quickly, everyone in the room looks over to the card game in the corner and realizes that DeLoss and Chuck haven't moved...haven't even blinked.  They're still staring at their cards.  Then, slowly, DeLoss says: "No.  Tell them no.  I just talked to Jack and we're going to stay at 11."

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19949 on: May 21, 2012, 09:27:57 PM »

Now that I know we're safe I don't either.

Are we really safe? 

What if we (the other schools in the Big 12) force an expansion down UT's throat that they don't necessarily want.  Such as adding FSU and Clemson now, and promising GT a spot when ND joins as a full member.  Texas could easily say "screw this" and do their own thing.  The Big 12 is still very vulnerable.  We like to talk about how it is ironclad because of the GOR, but it only takes 6 votes to dissolve the conference.  Poof, no GOR.  Poof, no buyouts.  Poof, no TV contract.

Texas can get Tech, OU, OSU, WVU and one other (KU?) to vote with them.  Then invite FSU, Clem, GT and ND.  They've got a 10 team league, just like they wanted.  A 10-team league with no deadweight in the form of redundant schools or small fanbases (TCU, BU, KSU, ISU).  That hypothetical 10-team league is worth just as much to ABC/ESPN/FOX as the 14-team league with TCU/BU/KSU/ISU added in.  What's to stop Texas and its friends from doing this?  FSU wouldn't mind if they didn't have regular trips to Ames, MHK, Waco on their schedule. Neither would ND.  They'd be fine with such an arrangement.

Texas only has one vote, but I think it's in our best interests to figure out what Texas wants and then vote that way.  If that means inviting FSU and then waiting at 11 until ND is available, so be it.  If that means staying at 10 forever, so be it.  If that means expanding to 12 now with FSU and Clem then expanding to 14 later with ND and GT, so be it.  Whatever Texas wants, that's what we want.