Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068750 times)

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #18625 on: May 01, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Your 14 team league has a division with 8 teams

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

You're right.  For the 14 team league scenario, I should have said we'll be in the east division with WVU, FSU, Miami, Clem, GaTech and ISU OR KU.

From your earlier post, I agree that playing in texas less "might" hurt ksu's recruiting in texas, but would you agree that playing 2 teams from florida might open up recruiting more in that state for ksu?   I hope the conference grows to 16 teams but I think ksu will adjust if the Big12 goes to 14.

It's certainly possible.  I just have a hard time seeing that. 

Assuming the 10-team scenario: If we recruit a kid from the DFW metroplex, his family will know that he'll be playing in Texas twice a year and that Manhattan is a fairly easy drive up the interstate if they want to go to the home games. 

Assuming the 12 or 14-team scenarios: If we recruit a kid from the Miami area, his family will know that he'll be playing in Florida once per year and that Manhattan is an expensive plane ride away if they want to go to the home games.

The two scenarios just don't compare IMO.

Yeah but you are saying that like we already have a huge recruiting pipe line to Florida.  If anything that might give us a shot as some recruits that we would not have got period. 1 trip home > 0 trips home.
:dance:

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18626 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/05/01/notre-dame-playoff/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a5

Good article by Andy Staples on the Notre Dame situation. Nothing really new outside of the fact that the national media is starting to discuss it, but found this one quote interesting. Keep in mind Staples was in Miami with every big time administrator and commissioner last week for the BCS meetings..

Also, college athletics leaders have made clear they expect another round of realignment madness once a postseason model is set.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18627 on: May 01, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/05/01/notre-dame-playoff/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a5

Good article by Andy Staples on the Notre Dame situation. Nothing really new outside of the fact that the national media is starting to discuss it, but found this one quote interesting. Keep in mind Staples was in Miami with every big time administrator and commissioner last week for the BCS meetings..

Also, college athletics leaders have made clear they expect another round of realignment madness once a postseason model is set.

It needs to happen at a convenient time for me because that crap is all-consuming.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18628 on: May 01, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »

It needs to happen at a convenient time for me because that crap is all-consuming.

Anytime between now and mid August would be great.  Summer BBSin can get watered down at times.  We were spoiled last two summers.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18629 on: May 01, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »
somebody - maybe that shaggy bevo tv guy - said something about acc crap needing to go down by july.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #18630 on: May 02, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »

It never stops for me.  I'm always consumed by it.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #18631 on: May 02, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
Has it been determined if "browncounty" is a poster that knows what he's talking about? He's on FSU's site, think he's a Texas fan, anyway he's on FSU's site and claims FSU and clemson are highly interested or "boiling over" and that VT is "heating up".
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18632 on: May 02, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
From Mhaver on the WV site

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=8960662

Take 2 now and let the others come to us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deloss Dodd's exact words when explaining to the other  ADs that the B12 doesn't need to get into any legal proceedings involved with killing the ACC

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18633 on: May 02, 2012, 11:29:28 AM »
I've lived in ACC country for too long now . . . and from my perspective Florida State, Miami, Clemson and to a lessor degree Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech have never really felt like ACC schools to me.   The ACC is so Tobacco Road centric, and the biggest football player on Tobacco Road despite spending a gazzillion dollars on facilities is still an underachieving football program.  The other big name on Tobacco Road couldn't possibly care less about football; their stadium is a joke and they pretty much like it that way. 

The only school out of that group that I can see being tolerable for the traditional SEC is Virginia Tech and even that's debateable because they're just over the mountains from Tenn.    With the rest, there's nothing but gear grinding if you add them to the SEC, the turf wars will be off the charts.

While the weak ACC may have helped FSU in the 90's its hurting them now and you can probably argue the same thing about Clemson and Miami as well. 

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18634 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
I've lived in ACC country for too long now . . . and from my perspective Florida State, Miami, Clemson and to a lessor degree Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech have never really felt like ACC schools to me.   The ACC is so Tobacco Road centric, and the biggest football player on Tobacco Road despite spending a gazzillion dollars on facilities is still an underachieving football program.  The other big name on Tobacco Road couldn't possibly care less about football; their stadium is a joke and they pretty much like it that way. 

The only school out of that group that I can see being tolerable for the traditional SEC is Virginia Tech and even that's debateable because they're just over the mountains from Tenn.    With the rest, there's nothing but gear grinding if you add them to the SEC, the turf wars will be off the charts.

While the weak ACC may have helped FSU in the 90's its hurting them now and you can probably argue the same thing about Clemson and Miami as well.

If you listen to anyone with ACC roots talk about conference realignment they always go straight to how much they miss the old ACC basketball of the 70s and 80s.  I listened to SVP talk about it for 30 minutes and the only time he mentioned FB was to bemoan about how FB money is driving the bus.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18635 on: May 02, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deloss Dodd's exact words when explaining to the other  ADs that the B12 doesn't need to get into any legal proceedings involved with killing the ACC

some great butthurt in that thread and others on the wvu board from KU posters including the one and only KCSP

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18636 on: May 02, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »
All believers in TSC must get on board with FSU and Clemson to the Big 12 and then enjoy the meltdown that will ensue on places like Tigerboard.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18637 on: May 02, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »
All believers in TSC must get on board with FSU and Clemson to the Big 12 and then enjoy the meltdown that will ensue on places like Tigerboard.

Just imagine the Husker fans.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18638 on: May 02, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »

Just imagine the Husker fans.

Dang, epic

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18639 on: May 02, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »
Don't know if this was mentioned yet (USU and SJSU to MWC):
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18939680

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #18640 on: May 02, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »

some great butthurt in that thread and others on the wvu board from KU posters including the one and only KCSP

Oh man:

Wake and Duke are screwed, but everyone else will find a home.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18641 on: May 02, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »

Oh man:

Wake and Duke are screwed, but everyone else will find a home.

Well, duke has a great basketball program, so they should have options
emaw

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18643 on: May 02, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »
FSU, Clemson, Louisville & Maryland.....more rumors on Big 12 expansion....   Reply
Stole this from a Clemson site....take it for what it's worth.

In the early months of 2012 the chatter of Clemson and Florida State bolting to the Big 12 started with Honus Snead from Eer Insider. Shortly there after Clemson formed an Athletic Advisory Committee, leading to speculation this group may be charged with exploring a move to the Big 12 and reporting these findings later this summer.

In an interview in February Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips disputed the Clemson-Big 12 rumors, saying "There is no substance to that. None." which is what would be expected of anyone in Clemson's Administration considering the relative infancy of the discussions and the bold nature of such a move.

But here we are on May 1st, the Big 12 meetings are a month away and the BCS meetings with an announcement on a playoff format comes next month. Already, the chatter regarding additional conference realignment is growing louder, and is expected to intensify as the various league and BCS meetings approach.

To that end, Cemetery Hill has once again spoken with Honus Snead late last week, and Snead characterized the latest rumors as follows:

- The Big 12 expansion talk of Clemson, Florida State, Maryland and Louisville is very hot. There is a high likelihood these teams will jump ship from the ACC and Big East after the B12 and BCS meetings conclude. The one question remaining is if this shift happens would the Big 12 expand to 16 teams instead of just 14? If so who else might join the party? Miami? Virginia Tech? We don't have the answers to that, but we have heard those programs mentioned.

Many have scoffed at this rhetoric before, and many will again. However, consider this: A four team playoff is coming down the line very soon, and RPI will factor into the selection of those 4 teams. Given how the ACC and Big East have fared in recent years within the RPI rankings, it's not very likely teams from these conferences would stand much chance for inclusion in a playoff format. As a result, the football powers in these conferences are looking for a safe haven, hence jumping to a conference that will have a seat at the playoff table.

This is a win-win for the Big 12 as well, as they are looking to go from possible implosion last year to rivaling the SEC in football superiority:

* It puts the Big 12 in the middle of SEC country, and captures new TV markets much like the SEC did with the Texas A&M and Mizzou additions.
* It would also expand the Big 12's recruiting footprint into the talent-laden deep south and Florida
* An expanded and enhanced Big 12 makes for a fourth super-conference, joining the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12.
* A 14-16 team conference opens up the door for enormous national revenue streams. On a given Saturday; Clemson-Oklahoma, FSU-Texas or West Virginia-Oklahoma State could be playing, and who wouldn't want to see those type games, not to mention the TV revenues to be generated.
* It potentially provides the impetus for a framework of 64 teams in 4 conferences who will fight it out for 4 spots every year for the national championship.

Why would Clemson and FSU even consider this? They are football first in sports and don't want to be irrelevent in the discussions of the future national scene, and are the only schools in the ACC (along with Virginia Tech) that have SEC type facilities and feel. Also, the ACC's recent additions of Syracuse and Pitt only further cement its reputation as a basketball league. Furthermore, television revenues from an expanded Big 12 are projected to bring in an additional 5 million per year minimum beyond what the ACC could generate with their rights.

Speaking of the SEC, what would be there counter move, if any, should the Big 12 expand to 16 teams? It would make sense for them to look for teams in new markets in the mid-Atlantic, with the likliest additions being NC State and Virginia Tech.

The one wild card the ACC and Big East have in this whole scenario is Notre Dame. The addition of the Golden Domers would add cache to either conference, and may keep the ACC from breaking apart should they be raided by the Big 12 and SEC. However, should the ACC fracture, Notre Dame may not have any other choice than to seek out their natural home in the Big 10.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
RIP Fatty

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18645 on: May 03, 2012, 07:45:18 AM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7884515/stanford-athletic-director-bob-bowlsby-offered-big-12-conference-commissioner-job

Let the 4th annual Conference Realignment Games Begin.

CRG! CRG! CRG! CRG! :ksu:

The games are actually going to be fun for once.  We already know our district will be a winner, and won't lose any of its members.   :thumbs:
 #DistrictBig12
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18647 on: May 03, 2012, 08:00:23 AM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7884515/stanford-athletic-director-bob-bowlsby-offered-big-12-conference-commissioner-job

Bowlsby also was influential in the Pac 12 negotiating a new television agreement that will show all its games next season on a number of networks, from ESPN, to Fox, to the new Pac-12 network.

:crossfingers:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #18649 on: May 03, 2012, 08:33:15 AM »

Bowlsby also was influential in the Pac 12 negotiating a new television agreement that will show all its games next season on a number of networks, from ESPN, to Fox, to the new Pac-12 network.

:crossfingers:

I'm pleased.