Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066819 times)

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #18575 on: April 30, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »
That said, if I'm a New Mexico State fan I'm running for the nearest toilet and if I'm an Idaho fan I already have a giant load dropped in my pants. At least Texas State will have a conference to go to when it's all said and done. NMSU is going to have to beg the Sun Belt to get in and Idaho is just completely mumped.
What is La Tech going to do?

They along with North Texas and Florida International are rumored to be headed to C-USA along with UTSA. If that falls through, the Sun Belt will take La. Tech in an instant unless ULL and ULM are successful in what would be an inevitable attempt to cockblock them. Lots of hate between those three. If LTU and/or UNT go/stay in the Sun Belt, that's potentially catastrophic for Texas State too and NMSU is completely done. However, I along with a few thousand other alums have apparently been bombarding the Texas State email servers and phone lines since the UTSA news asking wtf is going on and the school is swearing up and down that we'll have an FBS conference affiliation when it is all said and done. More than likely, that means Sun Belt for us unless MWC wants to go 12. 

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18576 on: April 30, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
That said, if I'm a New Mexico State fan I'm running for the nearest toilet and if I'm an Idaho fan I already have a giant load dropped in my pants. At least Texas State will have a conference to go to when it's all said and done. NMSU is going to have to beg the Sun Belt to get in and Idaho is just completely mumped.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out where they fit.  NMSU needs the Sun Belt.  Idaho is probably going to need to drop back to FCS.  There are simply no options for them unless the MWC really feels a desperate need to get to 12.

I could see the MWC potentially adding enough teams to get to 12. A championship game would be good for their network.

Yeah, but Idaho and New Mexico State?

I mean, Idaho, maybe, after they lost Boise.  But New Mexico State? They already have UNM.

Woof.

I honestly think that New Mexico State should be more attractive to the MWC than Idaho. They aren't tapping into tv markets with either team, and at least they get a natural in-state conference rivalry with NMSU. Rivalry games can be fun to watch. Idaho isn't even fun for people in Idaho to watch. :dunno:

With New Mexico State you get at least kind of a chunk of El Paso. With Idaho you get...what...5,000 people in Spokane? Maybe? Montana likely has more of a media presence than them at this point. Plus NMSU at least has decent basketball and olympic sports. Idaho has absolutely nothing and plays in maybe the smallest stadium in FBS. If MWC takes anybody to expand to 12 after SJSU and USU get them to 10 (which is more or less confirmed at this point), it'll likely be these teams (in order);

Texas State
NMSU
Montana (who basically refuses to move up without Montana State, who is about on the same level as Idaho)

MWC already said they don't want Idaho, anyway.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18577 on: April 30, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out where they fit.  NMSU needs the Sun Belt.  Idaho is probably going to need to drop back to FCS.  There are simply no options for them unless the MWC really feels a desperate need to get to 12.

I could see the MWC potentially adding enough teams to get to 12. A championship game would be good for their network.

I mean, Idaho, maybe, after they lost Boise.  But New Mexico State? They already have UNM.

Woof.

I honestly think that New Mexico State should be more attractive to the MWC than Idaho. They aren't tapping into tv markets with either team, and at least they get a natural in-state conference rivalry with NMSU. Rivalry games can be fun to watch. Idaho isn't even fun for people in Idaho to watch. :dunno:

With New Mexico State you get at least kind of a chunk of El Paso. With Idaho you get...what...5,000 people in Spokane? Maybe? Montana likely has more of a media presence than them at this point. Plus NMSU at least has decent basketball and olympic sports. Idaho has absolutely nothing and plays in maybe the smallest stadium in FBS. If MWC takes anybody to expand to 12 after SJSU and USU get them to 10 (which is more or less confirmed at this point), it'll likely be these teams (in order);

Texas State
NMSU
Montana (who basically refuses to move up without Montana State, who is about on the same level as Idaho)

Those poor Vandals. . .

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18578 on: April 30, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »
Wow, good luck to whatever team you cheer for user _42.  :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

RE Montana not moving up without Montana State: that's sweet. I don't know anything about Montana State other than that it's where Jonathan Beasley got fat, but I always think it's weird when there's a state without a single D-1 football team. In a perfect world everyone would get at least a little little D-1 love. 
 :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18579 on: April 30, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »

RE Montana not moving up without Montana State: that's sweet. I don't know anything about Montana State other than that it's where Jonathan Beasley got fat, but I always think it's weird when there's a state without a single D-1 football team. In a perfect world everyone would get at least a little little D-1 love. 

They are D-1, just not FBS. South Dakota, North Dakota, Delaware, Rhode Island, and Maine don't have FBS programs, either.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #18580 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »

It sucks that Montana isn't an FBS school.  Missoula is a fantastic little city, and it's a wonderful place to spend a long weekend.  It would be tremendous for roadies.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18581 on: April 30, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
I would be fine rotating the game between Jerry's world and Jacksonville, maybe a 3/5 split favoring jerry world. I would not want the game to be hosted in that cesspool that is the orange bowl.

***disclaimer**** ben ji has a friend that lives in jacksonville and the chance to crash on their couch and be chauffered around for the Dr Pepper was one of the deciding factors.
Jacksonville? Have you ever been there? Jacksonville is a rough ridin' shithole. DO NOT WANT!

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18582 on: April 30, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »

It sucks that Montana isn't an FBS school.  Missoula is a fantastic little city, and it's a wonderful place to spend a long weekend.  It would be tremendous for roadies.
If they were FBS, it would be an awesome place for a 2-for-1 like we have set up with UTSA.  I really wish we would set one of those up with Wyoming sometime.  If not Wyoming, then AFA, CSU, or UNLV.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18583 on: April 30, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »

If they were FBS, it would be an awesome place for a 2-for-1 like we have set up with UTSA.  I really wish we would set one of those up with Wyoming sometime.  If not Wyoming, then AFA, CSU, or UNLV.

CSU would be elite. I wouldn't mind playing them every year.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18584 on: April 30, 2012, 02:41:50 PM »

Would recommend flying into Great Falls and driving over to Missoula. Stop by Hardy Creek on your way for some great cliff jumping.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:44:44 PM by Sundance_Kid »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18585 on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »

I mean, if you're going to schedule 2-1 deals, you may as well do them in nice places that your fans will want to travel to.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18586 on: April 30, 2012, 02:55:09 PM »

:shakesfist:

I mean, if you're going to schedule 2-1 deals, you may as well do them in nice places that your fans will want to travel to.

Montana absolutely deserves to be an FBS program in football, their other sports are eh and they don't have a ton of money. Still, would take for the WAC if that conference were to survive somehow.

Also, you know where a great roadie for EMAW fans would be? San Marcos :gocho:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18587 on: April 30, 2012, 03:04:37 PM »
Also, you know where a great roadie for EMAW fans would be? San Marcos :gocho:

Oh, 42.   :thumbsup:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18588 on: April 30, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »

They are D-1, just not FBS. South Dakota, North Dakota, Delaware, Rhode Island, and Maine don't have FBS programs, either.

I appreciate what you're trying to do here but I don't do that FBS/FCS bullshit. It is, always was, and always will be D-1 and D-IAA in my heart. 

:gocho:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18589 on: April 30, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »

Woof.

Texas State
NMSU

Those poor Vandals. . .
Think of the longtime Vandal fans that watched Boise State go from a community college to BCS participant as they are about to get demoted
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:57:29 PM by Skipper44 »

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18590 on: April 30, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
Think of the longtime Vandal fans that watched Boise State go from a community college to BCS participant as they are about to get demoted

I know that feel bro

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18591 on: April 30, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
I would be fine rotating the game between Jerry's world and Jacksonville, maybe a 3/5 split favoring jerry world. I would not want the game to be hosted in that cesspool that is the orange bowl.

***disclaimer**** ben ji has a friend that lives in jacksonville and the chance to crash on their couch and be chauffered around for the Dr Pepper was one of the deciding factors.
Jacksonville? Have you ever been there? Jacksonville is a rough ridin' shithole. DO NOT WANT!

Yeah I've been there and its a shithole, just not as big of a shithole as the orange bowl. FWIW I highly doubt they play and dr peppers there but if they do throw FSU a bone it wouldnt be terrible. They do have the worlds largest outdoor cocktail party there every year and had a superbowl(that everyone hated) a couple years ago.

Offline powercat_62

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18592 on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:41 PM »

Would love a 2-for-1 with Wyoming; sister is an alum with season tickets.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18593 on: April 30, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
FSU wants in....but under their conditions...

FSU wants to be in a League on par with the SEC in both size and Competition.
FSU wants the B12 to go to 14
FSU wants Miami
FSU wants GT
FSU wants the conference title game to be hosted at rotating sites
FSU wants to keep ties to the Orange bowl in some way

IMO, the best case scenario for K-State is to stay at 10.  The 2nd best case scenario is to expand to 16.

For recruiting and exposure purposes, we need and want to play UT and OU and as many Texas-based schools as possible every year.

With 10 teams, we play a minimum of four Texas schools every year (UT, TT, BU, TCU).
With 16 teams, we'll almost certainly be in the West division and will still play those same four Texas schools.

If the Big 12 expands to 12, we'll almost certainly be pushed to the east division with WVU, FSU, Miami, ISU and KU.
If the Big 12 expands to 14, we'll almost certainly be pushed to the east division with WVU, FSU, Miami, Clem, GaTech, ISU and KU.

Either of those scenarios (12 or 14) would be devastating to our goal of playing as many Texas schools as possible every year.  12 or 14 would mean we'd play 1 or 2 Texas schools in conf play per year.  Yuck.

DO
NOT
WANT

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18594 on: April 30, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »
Your 14 team league has a division with 8 teams

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18595 on: April 30, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »
Apparently Idaho had five rough ridin' players drafted this year...that can't be right, can it?  I'm just not sure.

EDIT:  Nevermind, I'm Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

"Vandals to the NFL today: Toomer (5th round draft, Seahawks), McCarty (Panthers), Cleveland (Browns), Novikoff (Cowboys), Cosgrove (Lions). GO VANDALS!"

The other guys were signed as undrafted free agents.

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18596 on: April 30, 2012, 10:33:20 PM »
Apparently Idaho had five rough ridin' players drafted this year...that can't be right, can it?  I'm just not sure.

EDIT:  Nevermind, I'm Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Toomer (5th round draft, Seahawks), McCarty (Panthers), Cleveland (Browns), Novikoff (Cowboys), Cosgrove (Lions). GO VANDALS!"

The other guys were signed as undrafted free agents.
:horrorsurprise:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18597 on: April 30, 2012, 11:32:55 PM »

The powers that be have decided they want to get the Dr Pepper, whether it is 2 years from now or 5 years from now they want the Dr Pepper back.

What powers would this be?  Where did you get this from?

totes made up

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18598 on: April 30, 2012, 11:37:11 PM »

That network is Gone Baby Gone
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/the-mtn-sports-network-pulling-the-plug-in-june-146339515.html

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18599 on: April 30, 2012, 11:48:12 PM »

Yeah I've been there and its a shithole, just not as big of a shithole as the orange bowl.

Yo, you gotta read the thread man.  Dlew already subtly attempted to correct you.  Not sure how you can credibly post in this thread and not know that the Orange Bowl has been gone for years.  It was demolished 4 years ago.  It is now this, not a shithole